diy solar

diy solar

Alberta Lithium vs SOK

FluxCapacitor

So, I'm looking for a battery for my trailer.

I'm debating between this one from Alberta Lithium. $450 (CAD) for 100AH.

Includes low temp cutoff, cells are (apparently) certified. I haven't found anything negative so far. Their facebook page is somewhat active with no negative responses. The downside is I don't really know what's inside the battery. No real way to know quality of manufacturing. 3 year warranty.

Some googling and searching here shows me that it's probably made by LithTech:

I've done some googling on lithtech batteries but have not come up with much for reviews or teardowns so far.

My other choice is SOK for $765 (CAD) for 100AH and 7 year warranty. With SOK, you know you're getting quality for sure.

Any thoughts? Worth the risk on a cheaper option?

What did you decide? Looking to see if the AB battery is legit as the price for us Canadians is attractive.
I ended up getting the 100ah battery from signature solar in the states. I was just uncertain about the quality of the internals of the AB Lithium batteries in the end. The description of the Signature Solar battery sounded like better quality to me. Another big factor for me was that they were in stock and shipping to Canada was reasonably priced and fast. Didn’t have to wait.

I ended up getting the 100ah battery from signature solar in the states. I was just uncertain about the quality of the internals of the AB Lithium batteries in the end. The description of the Signature Solar battery sounded like better quality to me. Another big factor for me was that they were in stock and shipping to Canada was reasonably priced and fast. Didn’t have to wait.

Can I ask what the charge was for customs duties etc.?
And how do you like the new batteries

Can I ask what the charge was for customs duties etc.?
And how do you like the new batteries

DHL charged me just over $50 CAD for duties.

Actually, I have not yet tried them. They are for my trailer, which I am in the middle of renovating right now. And the reno is very behind schedule. Hope to get them installed before the end of the month. So all I can say right now is that they came quickly and well packaged.

Figured I'd post here being as I was trying to find info on the Alberta Lithium batteries as well. I ordered one recently and it arrived in about a week. With shipping and GST it was $512.00 CAD to my door. Seems like an amazing deal for a 100ah Lifepo4 Battery with temp cutoff. I was planning to build my own battery but couldn't beat this price even with sourcing all my own components.
The batteries are a sealed waterproof unit so can't be easily opened to look at the internals.
I was told by Alberta Lithium that if there's a problem with the battery they will replace it within 3 years.

I haven't yet used it other than charging it and testing voltage. I have a battery capacity tester on the way so will test it out as soon as possible and report back. I'll be using the battery for a small camper setup with a DC/DC charger as well as a solar MPPT controller.

Finally had a chance to do a capacity test on my 100A Alberta Lithium battery. Results look good!

The BMS cut my inverter off at 99.94ah. I was drawing about 30A continuous for the test with some periods of 60A or so as I used the opportunity to test current draw of some other devices I plan to use.

After resetting the inverter, I was able to draw some more power at about 2A so could easily have reached100Ah if not more.

Time will tell how the internal BMS holds up but initial impressions are good. I figure worst case, if the the BMS dies, I’ll crack the battery open and just replace the BMS.

Attachments

• 80728D4C-3385-4EA6-8875-E4FBE34B77C6.jpeg
    80728D4C-3385-4EA6-8875-E4FBE34B77C6.jpeg
    144.9 KB · Views: 3
I looked at AL too but went with a 24v 100ah battery. I liked the fact that it's user serviceable from bms to cells and a 7 year warranty.

It was about $1300 delivered to Yukon. I wanted serviceable because it's impossible for me to ship back a damaged battery.

Keep us posted on the AL battery. I'll try to update about the SOK when I get out of camp and get it installed.

PS. I did buy ALs lithium battery charger. 10 amp for 65 and 20 amp for 85. Couldn't beat that price.

Back