diy solar

diy solar

Ali coulomb meter set up

Sk122

AiLi Battery Monitor Voltmeter Ammeter Voltage Current Meter 8-80V 0-100A

I am going to purchase one of these units. My system is a12 VDC 220 amp-hour lead-acid battery source. And my inverter is rated at 1200 watts continuous, with a 100 amp breaker as protection. This is charged by a 400-watt solar panel set up on a 30 amp charge controller. I assume I can get by with the 100 amp shunt unit instead of the 350 amp ( on backorder), because my breaker is 100 amps .
However, my question is set up. I want to limit my battery depth of discharge to 50 % and have the meter display what power out remaining would be using that limit. So hypothetically do i use 110 amp-hours as a set point?

I might be missing something here but all this solution would do is your battery monitor would indicate 0% SoC when in fact it was 50% SoC in reality. This doesn't solve the requirement: " I want to limit my battery depth of discharge to 50 % ", I mean your battery would continue to discharge below the indicated 0% SoC so this is no better than it indicating 50% SoC then manually disconnecting.

As you have a lead-acid battery, where the terminal voltage is somewhat analogous to SoC, you could either:
  • Set the LVD (Low Voltage Disconnect) on the inverter to shut-off at the terminal voltage of 50% SoC (assuming your inverter has a configurable LVD threshold).
  • Buy a VSR (Voltage Sensing Relay) that automatically turns the inverter off at the terminal voltage of 50% SoC (assuming your inverter has the ability to be switched off remotely)
  • Buy a programmable battery monitor that turns the inverter off at 50% SoC (assuming your inverter has the ability to be switched off remotely)
  • Use a VSR to control a contactor to disconnect the battery (Will did a video on this method).
  • Buy a battery protection module that disconnects the battery and automatically shuts off the inverter (assuming your inverter has the ability to be switched off remotely)

Thanks, Will, purchased this unit with 350 amp shunt. Installed it, according to your instructions and golly it turned on. However as well done as your videos are, 5 stars on all. Your setting instructions are limited and the Chinglish ones are useless. I found a Utube video that explains set up very well.
BTW you are the goto guy for all solar and power installs and info, I purchased your book and several components you recommended, all without issue. thank you.

You can probably find a battery monitor with coulumb counter that has a relay contact alarm level settable trigger.

You can use the relay to do whatever you like, set a buzzer, even shut down the inverter if you can get access to any power switch on it.

Better to have coulumb counter as any battery voltage reading will be impacted by loading current draw. Lead acid capacity will depend on discharge current rate so take that into account when you set monitor's AH capacity. Lead-Acid AH rating is typically stated for 5% of AH rating in amps discharge rate and effective capacity is much less at higher discharge rates.

Over discharge is very damaging to lead-acid batteries. The less depth of discharge the longer they will last (longevity). Discharging less than 50% is good, more than 80% is very damaging.

Make sure you bring lead acid batteries up to full charge at least once a month. Discharging creates lead-sulfate that is initially soft paste but will harden to crystals over time and crystals will not be convert back during recharging reducing battery capacity over time. You need to recharge while lead-sulfate is still soft.

So called 'desulphator' chargers are mostly snake oil although high current over-charging can cause crystals to break off of plate and work their way to bottom of battery at least clearing them from blocking active plate surface. That is pretty much what the 'equalization' cycle charging does and it is stressful to battery.

Second common damage to lead acid batteries is excessive charging which uses up more water in electrolyte, creates hydrogen gas, and baths positive plate in oxygen which accelerates corrosion of positive plate support grid increasing battery's effective series resistance.

Hello - I'm just getting started with my RV solar project so be gentle if I'm asking a too basic question. My question is related to the AiLi Battery Monitor Voltmeter Ammeter Voltage Current Meter 8-80V 0-100A. At this early stage of my system, I will be using a 30 amp controller, 1 to 3 - 100 watt panels and a 98 amp hour deep cycle 12 volt battery. No inverter yet. If I purchase the AiLi 100 amp monitor, if I find down the road that I need the 350 amp rating, is is just a matter of replacing the 100 amp shunt with a 350 amp shunt? I realize that it would problable be best just to go with the higher rated setup but there seems to be a 2-3 month leadtime/backlog on the larger capacity unit.

If I purchase the AiLi 100 amp monitor, if I find down the road that I need the 350 amp rating, is is just a matter of replacing the 100 amp shunt with a 350 amp shunt?
Whilst it may well work, I doubt you'd be able to buy just the shunt. Or if you did, it would likely be similarly priced to buying the higher rated product in the first place. Additionally, whilst I don't doubt you, I find it difficult to believe that somebody somewhere doesn't have one of these units in stock. I mean they are available on amazon.co.uk and I dare say it's not going to take 2-3 months to ship to the states.

Whilst it may well work, I doubt you'd be able to buy just the shunt. Or if you did, it would likely be similarly priced to buying the higher rated product in the first place. Additionally, whilst I don't doubt you, I find it difficult to believe that somebody somewhere doesn't have one of these units in stock. I mean they are available on amazon.co.uk and I dare say it's not going to take 2-3 months to ship to the states.
Thanks for the info Tictag. I'm not really sure why the long leadtime from Amazon USA. I'm thinking that the device gets shipped from China and that could make for a lengthy journey during the pandemic.

You could always just buy it from Amazon UK, I buy stuff from Amazon US all the time. With expedited shipping you can usually get your product within a few days to a week.

Does somebody know this Coulomb Meter. How can I set it up to 200Ah. This is my current SOC.

My cells are fully charged and this meter measures in both directions.

Regards

Attachments

• IMG20201213113113.jpg
    IMG20201213113113.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 4
Hi All users of the AILI Meter.

Is that true what the manual says.

Attention that operation can not be restored. What does that mean.

I am not getting it.
Does it means what I set my full capacity it can be never adjusted or changed

Thanks for the support

Bob

Attachments

• Screenshot_2021-01-13-19-10-32-11.jpg
    Screenshot_2021-01-13-19-10-32-11.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 20
Old thread, but in Amazon one of the reviewers had a couple interesting comments regarding the backlight control and parts -
You can press key V and % at the same time to turn on/off backlight.
8M cable, ASIN: B082ZPGYHZ
5M cable, ASIN: B082ZQQCVT"

The Thornwave Powermon meter counts coulomb and can fire a relay for disconnection, etc. I have one - well built - bluetooth - works great.

Does somebody know this Coulomb Meter. How can I set it up to 200Ah. This is my current SOC.

My cells are fully charged and this meter measures in both directions.

Regards
did you find out how to 'reset' this meter to 0. I'd like to restart my capacity metering so need to reset to factory values.

Back