diy solar

diy solar

Alibaba problem

Photosolo

Has anyone had any issues with not receiving their cells from Alibaba.com ?

I am currently in the process of ordering solar panels from alibaba (will place order during february). Although for me it seems the vendor prefers to handle the discussions via wechat. Alibaba probably has fairly large commission % --> have others purchased directly (money transfer) or via the alibaba payment terminal? The vendor I will use is reputable so I do not see a problem there

NOTE FOR EVERYONE IN EU / UK !

Due to Brexit and some other ongoing issues like COVID outbreaks in UK a lot of things are messed up, especially the entire Duty/Taxes and Fees portion for shippers which changed. This translates into complications not only on the receiving side but also on the shipping side due to the paperwork and changed requirements. Fees and Duty rates also affected.

The ding-a-lings doing Brexit have NOT accounted for a lot of things and MANY sectors & products are affected.
Ruddy British Beaurocrats - the fine art of bodging Everything up !

Most other delivery points are unaffected such as Mainland Europe, US/Canada Australia etc...

NOTE FOR EVERYONE IN EU / UK !

Due to Brexit and some other ongoing issues like COVID outbreaks in UK a lot of things are messed up, especially the entire Duty/Taxes and Fees portion for shippers which changed. This translates into complications not only on the receiving side but also on the shipping side due to the paperwork and changed requirements. Fees and Duty rates also affected.

The ding-a-lings doing Brexit have NOT accounted for a lot of things and MANY sectors & products are affected.
Ruddy British Beaurocrats - the fine art of bodging Everything up !

Most other delivery points are unaffected such as Mainland Europe, US/Canada Australia etc...
does that mean i should expect to pay 20% import duty in the UK or that i might not get my parcel at all?

You'll want to be more specific to get better feedback. Alibaba is like Ebay in the sense that you are not purchasing from Alibaba and Alibaba is not shipping you anything.

Some details like
- Date and method of purchase
- Any confirmations you have received (RE: the purchase, payment, shipping, etc)
- Last communication from/with the seller

edit: looking at your post history, it looks like you possibly were getting ready to order in mid November? That feels like eons ago, but I believe there are some others who ordered in this time period that have yet to receive their cells (from another reseller).

expect to pay 20% import duty in the UK
Its not clear whats happening in the UK with personal imports from China. The heavy stuff like batteries is usually overland via Russa to Poland or Germany then onward to the UK by DPD or FedEx. Lasy year I had to pay VAT and import fees on the total cost of goods and shipping. The whole issue is a complete mess, the government website has not been up dated. Costs may depend on when the order was placed and payment made. Political infighting has produced the most self inflicted disaster in history.
Hope you get your parcel.

Mike

Political infighting has produced the most self inflicted disaster in history.
ABSOLUTELY !
Those extra "Punitive duties" only punish the buyer, the manufacturers, wholesalers, vendors, etc do not pay for it, it is all wrapped into the end cost and WE pay it and the government collects it (duties & levies) and they blow it on ... whatever they want which is of no benefit to anyone but the Revenue Collectors. It has no "Political Effect or Impact" whatsoever against those that the duties are levied against.

I'll use Lumber as an example: The US imports a LOT of softwood from Canada because they cannot meet their own supply demand. They buy it at $1.00 plop 20% on at the border duty, so now it's $1.20, the wholesaler then tacks that on to the cost, then it goes to Retailer and they tack on their markup which includes that extra, then you buy it for $2.00. So the cost of all the lumber used to build a house goes up 20% (thanks to the duties) and the poor shmuck buying the house pays for it... NOT the Lumberjacks, not the Lumber Mills, Not the shipper, wholesaler or retailer but YOU.

It is even worse too which most haven't realized, Higher Cost End Product = higher amount of Federal/State/Provincial Sales Taxes so even MORE money to the Tax Looters of your Nation. That is Taxing Taxes because Duties are ALSO taxes just a different "brand label".

How do YOU like being double, triple and even quadruple DIPPED for taxes & fees that do not benefit you or domestic companies in any ?

What a Nefarious Pile of You Know What.... SANCTION THE TAXMAN ! Bring out the Guillotine !

Can’t do anything about politics but this should be helpful:

I am currently in the process of ordering solar panels from alibaba (will place order during february). Although for me it seems the vendor prefers to handle the discussions via wechat. Alibaba probably has fairly large commission % --> have others purchased directly (money transfer) or via the alibaba payment terminal? The vendor I will use is reputable so I do not see a problem there

I have ordered directly outside of Alibaba, but only when I know 100% that the seller is going to deliver what I need when I need it (usually after having established a business relationship over many months/years). I would not do this for a first order with a vendor, no matter the reputation. Second order, maybe then we can start talking.

Ah, don't get me started on the mess that is following Brexit. I have issues getting stuff from R&D in Finland to Sales in the UK within the same company. Expect quite a few shipping companies to increase costs or even stop shipping to the UK altogether. Things are excruciatingly slow to get stuff moved back and forth.

In addition, companies outside the UK currently need to register a VAT number in the UK and pay the VAT in advance to UK tax authorities at point of sale when selling to UK customers.

I have ordered directly outside of Alibaba, but only when I know 100% that the seller is going to deliver what I need when I need it (usually after having established a business relationship over many months/years). I would not do this for a first order with a vendor, no matter the reputation. Second order, maybe then we can start talking.
Valid point. Only thing I might offer them is to use transferwise so they get paid locally from a Chinese bank but still using Alibaba as the intermediator, would be interesting to know how much Alibaba charges for connecting the buyer and the seller. For example booking.com/agoda take 30% from small hotels for each booking which is quite a lot for just connecting buyer/seller

Okay well my quote was 3000€ for the panels with shipping so 60e a price I am willing to pay them in return for the Alibaba insurance and audit trail of the order. And alibaba takes no additional fee on the currency aspect (paying in euros and they receive RMB?)

As a comfort measure, if you use a Visa, Master Card that has an extra protection layer for you as you can use a CC dispute should something go awry. Paypal is also an easier option now because PayPal has finalized it's Chinese Banking Presence and so can directly interact with the various Chinese financial institutions. that was always the bugger with using PP in China until this got done.

NEWS: PayPal becomes first foreign firm in China with full ownership of payments business | DIY Solar Power Forum (diysolarforum.com)

Has anyone had any issues with not receiving their cells from Alibaba.com ?
So far I've never heard of cells not arriving, they will eventually show up but when they say 'slow boat from China' they ain't kidding.

I just got an order of 41 15AH cells that I ordered back in November - two months and two days to get to the Pacific Northwest and I've read people here griping about taking even longer than that.

Now what you actually get after ordering from Aliexpress/Alibaba vs what you thought you were ordering is a kettle of fish of a different color.

Yeah the issue I have right now is I’ve waited past 2 months but as I understand it, I only have upto the 3 month mark to claim a refund??

Yeah the issue I have right now is I’ve waited past 2 months but as I understand it, I only have upto the 3 month mark to claim a refund??
I believe so, but it'd be worth your while to check again though. If it gets down to the wire don't let the vendor string you along with promises until it closes. About a week or two out hit the refund.

BTW, you'll never get any sort of tracking update until it hits your home country soil, you can ping the vendor to make sure you have the correct tracking number. I've had a couple of times on Aliexpress that the order showed one number that wasnt valid but the vendor had a fedex number that he gave to me.

Back