diy solar

diy solar

All Done !!!!......well almost.....

Kcdaniels

With the help of this forum and the good people here I was able to throw the switch today on my new system.!
395 watt q cell panel...
Victron 100/50...SCC
Victron 1200va inverter
I know I went with lower gauge battery cable 1awg but I felt it was better in the long run...maybe I was wrong but its done..lol

I love the Bluetooth Victron controller !... I'm a little disappointed in the Victron inverter...I do not like the slip in connection for cable..
I would rather see lug connections.... And I was under the impression that the Victron inverter was Bluetooth..... But no you have to buy a Bluetooth dongle....If I buy the dongle will it then connect to the app ?

Anyway I got it all hooked up and triple checked connections and of course it trying to rain so lots of clouds but still showing 50 to over 100 watts....

Here are a few pictures.... Let me know what you think...

Also I have two 100 watt panels and a 20 amp mppt controller that I want install on my truck....

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210603-150213.jpg
    Screenshot_20210603-150213.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 167
  • 20210603_145648.jpg
    20210603_145648.jpg
    338.8 KB · Views: 176
  • 20210528_165829.jpg
    20210528_165829.jpg
    403.7 KB · Views: 169
  • 20210522_080431.jpg
    20210522_080431.jpg
    156.1 KB · Views: 113
Is this what I need to keep track of battery temps....or is it better to use a shunt ?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210603-174021.png
    Screenshot_20210603-174021.png
    804.2 KB · Views: 17
I don't like the plus and minus wires laying right against each other like that ..... I would be worried about what would happen with vibration and expansion and contraction over time.

I don't like the plus and minus wires laying right against each other like that ..... I would be worried about what would happen with vibration and expansion and contraction over time.
Yes I guess anything is possible.. That's something I will keep an eye on...
There is no sharp corners anywhere so the only possibility would be for the wires to rub together and as thick as the casings are I would think it would take years to chaff threw to make contact.... But I'm just a old painter not a engineer....?

Got the inverter hooked up and it is powering up the RV ?....turned on the refrigerator and it came on but it was draining my two 6 volts down fast !
It runs the microwave no problem... So I'm one happy " Camper" ?

Did you use a resistor to charge the capacitor on your inverter? Or just turn on the cutoff?I
I just turned on the battery switch...? I know its recommended to use a resistor but I didn't have one ......what little is in the manual did not mention using one.....its still working so I guess I dodged a bullet ?

unless you create that pre-charge corcuit, i can’t see a really good way to pre charge when you’re all hooked up. I was thinking of leaving the cut off switch on and pre-charging before I attach the negative cable, but with a 1200 watt inverter, it does not seem worth it ....

Looks super clean and well designed/laid out. And those terminals on the Victron SCC are plenty sturdy. I wouldn't worry about them. Those are what most SCCs use these days.

unless you create that pre-charge corcuit, i can’t see a really good way to pre charge when you’re all hooked up. I was thinking of leaving the cut off switch on and pre-charging before I attach the negative cable, but with a 1200 watt inverter, it does not seem worth it ....
I think on the larger watt inverters that it should be done but with smaller watts (1000 watt to 1500 watt) inverter maybe not ?

Looks super clean and well designed/laid out. And those terminals on the Victron SCC are plenty sturdy. I wouldn't worry about them. Those are what most SCCs use these days.
Thanks !.....it was the Victron inverter that I wasn't impressed with....too close together and I don't like the clamp down style.....

My wiring is not nearly as pretty as yours; but I have a cool diagram of what I did . . . . Everything works (solar charger, inverter, shunt, converter, DCDC charger); I might change out one cable to make the bend in it a little looser; but in light of the comment about wires touching; all positives routed together; all negatives separate and routed together . . . But my space was pretty crowded to put this all together; it will not win any awards in any wiring shows.

I took her out last week and with the new battery after three days no worries about anything, usually, I'm getting stressed out about power about that time. This weekend is totally off grid; so we'll see how she does.

Attachments

• circuit (9).png
    circuit (9).png
    62.4 KB · Views: 30
My wiring is not nearly as pretty as yours; but I have a cool diagram of what I did . . . . Everything works (solar charger, inverter, shunt, converter, DCDC charger); I might change out one cable to make the bend in it a little looser; but in light of the comment about wires touching; all positives routed together; all negatives separate and routed together . . . But my space was pretty crowded to put this all together; it will not win any awards in any wiring shows.

I took her out last week and with the new battery after three days no worries about anything, usually, I'm getting stressed out about power about that time. This weekend is totally off grid; so we'll see how she does.
Pretty detailed diagram.... I know me and probably for the first month or two on the road I will be watching for problems ....wires ECT....
Good luck with the weekend trial...?

I drove 600 miles after I installed the battery. I pulled it apart this weekend; all connections tight and solid

Back