diy solar

diy solar

All-in-one 3.2KW not working on PV

Fuuur

Hi, i recently bought a all-in-1 system 3,2KW 80A model. Currently I only own 2 pv modules of 170W max (18.5 Vmax x 9.2 A max). I tested those modules with a multimeter, it works pretty good. But when I connect them in parallel to the all-in-one system it doesn't work, 0v and 0a on display. No error or alert. I didn't bought batteries yet. I just wanted to be sure this all-in-one inverter/charger was OK before going forward on my investment. Do you think it's because there is a lack of pv modules? They mentioned a min of 6 in series recommended on the installation guide. Another reason?View attachment 224971599891396469.png

Attachments

• 20200909_155835.jpg
    20200909_155835.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 17
  1. Your mystery inverter is unknown to me. I really don't want to have to hunt for the specs based on a picture. Could you have linked the installation guide or even a model number?
  2. Most SCC don't function without being hooked up to a battery. The fact that anything came on the display is miraculous.
  3. If that's a 24 or 48V inverter, two panels in parallel are too low in voltage.

3.2KW off grid inverter without battery working with MPPT 24V80A

VM II.jpg

Description:

This is a multi functional inverter/charger, combining functions of inverter,solar charger and battery charger to offer uninterruptible power support in portable size. Its comprehensive LCD display offers

user-configurable and easy-accessible button operation such as battery charging current,

AC/solar charger priority, and acceptable input voltage based on different applications.

Features:

1.High effciency pure sine wave inverter(PF=1);Wide PV input range (120V dc -50V dc) 80A MPPT SCC;Intelligent 3stage 80A AC battery charger.
2. Surges to 2X continuous power for 5 seconds for motor loads.
3. Intelligent functionality enables utility and solar input prioritization.
4. Wide ulility input range (90Vac _280Vac) for unreliable grid even in the most challenging environments.
5. Field serviceable with replacement boards and spare parts.
6. Monitor, troubleshoot, or communication with USB/RS 232.
7. System configures quickly into compact, wall-mounted system.

Specifications:

Model​
MPS-V 3200-24​
RATED POWER​
3200VA / 3200W​
INPUT​
Voltage​
230 VAC​
Selectable Voltage Range​
170-280 VAC (For Personal Computers) ;
90-280 VAC (For Home Appliances)​
Frequency Range​
50 Hz/60 Hz (Auto sensing)​
OUTPUT​
AC Voltage Regulation (Batt. Mode)​
230 VAC ± 5%​
Surge Power​
6000VA​
Efficiency (Peak)​
90%~93%​
Transfer Time​
10 ms (For Personal Computers) ; 20 ms (For Home Appliances)​
Waveform​
Pure sine wave​
BATTERY​
Battery Voltage​
24 VDC​
Floating Charge Voltage​
27 VDC​
Overcharge Protection​
32 VDC​
SOLAR CHARGER & AC CHARGER​
Max. PV Array Open Circuit Voltage​
500VDC​
Max. PV Array Power​
4000 W​
MPP Range @operating Voltage​
120~450VDC​
Max. Solar Charge Current​
80 A​
Max. AC Charge Current​
60 A​
Max. Charge Current​
80 A​
PHYSICAL​
Dimension, D x W x H (mm)​
100 x 300x 440​
Net Weight (kgs)​
9​
Communication Interface​
USB/RS232​
ENVIRONMENT​
Humidity​
5% to 95% Relative Humidity (Non-condensing)​
Operating Temperature​
-10°C to 50°C​
Storage Temperature​
-15°C to 60°C​

System Diagram :

Operation with battery connected :

00003.jpg

Operation without battery connected

000003.jpg

Inverter Detail

paste-pic-dp_uuid_lrcwz

3KVA 5KVA.jpg

VM-2.jpg

VM II LCD.jpg

Packing

packing solar inverter.png
packing 02

Factory View

off grid hybrid inverter

-1.jpg

Certificate :

.jpg

It looks similar to the MPP Solar all in ones Will reviews.
He connects it to grid power. That might make it work without the battery if yours is the same.
I am just guessing and I am new at this too.

fireshot-capture-277-usa-stock-stackable-2400w-14kw-24v-120vac-charge-80a-mppt-solar-60-www-ebay-com_11.png

Last edited:
It is connected to the grid indeed and works on grid. But it is not my goal. I want to use it in solar first mode. how much pv voltage do I need to connect to make it work?

2 panels in series wil not work...your mmpt voltage is 120(start voltage) to 450 volts

I had that exact unit back in April, you don't have enough PV voltage to make it start up, I had to series 3x100 watt panels to get mine on.

It says right there in the manual you have posted how much PV you need for it work.

Thanks you all. I'll add some pv soon and put them in series.
Hi, did you get it solved? I have the same machine.
I’ve been using it with Generator / batteries to feed my Concept, but today I added PV’s. And it’s not charging.
I have 4 panels (290w in serial) and it gives me 133-139V input, but no charging.
It should work in 120-450v range, but for some reason it doesn’t.

any ideas / help / wisdom, anyone??

"Wide PV input range (120V dc -50V dc)" (maybe a typo?)
"MPP Range @operating Voltage 120~450VDC"

There's your problem. Like Snoobler said, two panels in series (22 Voc each) is too low.

"I have 4 panels (290w in serial) and it gives me 133-139V input, but no charging."

Is that 133 Vmp rating? Or do you measure 133 Voc (in which case power delivered might be fairly low at 120V)?
What are the panel ratings?

290W, 39.2 Voc, 32 Vmp.

4 panels in series are expected to be about 156.8 Voc, 128 Vmp.

If you measure 133 Voc, that is rather low. Are all the panels receiving sunlight with no shadows?

With 120 minimum Vmp, would probably expect it to produce some power. Unless "starting voltage" is higher, only supposed to operate down to 120V after starting. No starting voltage is mentioned in the specs quoted above.

A spec from recent SMA Sunny Boy says "Initial Input Voltage 125V, Minimum Input Voltage 100V", so that needs to see Voc at least 25% above minimum MPPT voltage before it starts operating. Don't know if yours is the same.

I think you need to figure out why Voc is so low. Check for shadows on panels first. Disconnected, measure Voc of each panel. New or used?
Have any other panels you could connect in series to boost voltage?

I have limited space for panels and all of it is already been used. :(

panels are new

133 Voc seems low. Voltage typically approaches Voc from label even in low light.
What time of day; at what angle does sun hit panels? Any shadows?

No shadows and the same from morning to evening.

the panels are at the roof of a little mobile shop, so almost in level.

Voc is about 140 at some times.

but how I see it, I have two options - either to get more panels (and as I don’t have space it’s not really an option) or to get new Inverter-Charger with better range for my system.

Am I totally lost, or is there other options?

Voc 140 is still low compared to spec, but would expect inverter's MPPT to start up (unless it has an undocumented 150V minimum to start.)

Try disconnecting the panels and measuring Voc individually. With direct sun, expect closer to 40 Voc per panel, not 35V.
Take a picture of the panel label, maybe not same was as the data sheet you linked?

Possible experiment is to connect another panel or other source some way some how, boosting voltage a bit more and see how inverter responds.

Thank you. I will measure them separately tomorrow and come back to you with picture of the label.

and I try to get one more panel to test if it wakes up.

btw., the inverter shows that PV input is that 133-140V, and 0-20W - so there is some input watts at times.

I wonder if there could be poor contact somewhere, so voltage drops excessively when a small amount of current is drawn.
Do you have a way to measure short circuit current of the series string? Be careful, has dangerous voltages.

One time I put ammeter across the string while connected to inverter. Blew the meter fuse because capacitors in inverter dumped current.

If you disconnected panels from inverter (opened switch if you have one, otherwise unplugged or unscrewed), covered panels to drop current output to zero (voltage will still be high enough to shock you), connected ammeter, then uncovered panels ... meter should read Isc.

If there is poor contact in a connector it may melt during this measurement or even start a fire. So "Caveat Experimentor"

Back