diy solar

diy solar

All-in-one + DC to DC charger (isolator) OR inverter/charger + mppt/DC to DC charger

I just discovered Victron also has an all-in-one the EasySolar 12/1600/70 for ~$1400 from inverter supply. Why has this not been mentioned on the forum? Too expensive?
The EasySolar is not for North America. It only outputs 50Hz 230V AC. So depending on where you live it may or may not be appropriate for you.

If charging the laptop becomes an issue buy a low power sinewave inverter, 300 to 500 watts just for the computer, and only connect to the 12v when needed.
If you have roof space add more solar, this should be considered your primary source of power, consider 2 off 250 to 350 watt panels, or even 3 if you have room.

Mike

@dudedogvan When you say you may be boondocking is that city, suburbs or country?

To supplement your solar you could put together your own portable foldable panels using 2 100 watt panels and laying them out on a lean to. Another solar controller to add but does not have to an expensive unit as this may just be used intermittently.

I think @Browneye does something similar when he goes out in the middle of nowhere with his RV.

Of course if you are going covert on a city street that may be obvious and more than likely get stolen or damaged.

All of this is assuming you can find the room to stash some extra panels.

If charging the laptop becomes an issue buy a low power sinewave inverter, 300 to 500 watts just for the computer, and only connect to the 12v when needed.
If you have roof space add more solar, this should be considered your primary source of power, consider 2 off 250 to 350 watt panels, or even 3 if you have room.

Mike
Good suggestions. Any recommendations on quality, lowest cost 250w panels? I may do 2X 250w panels if it works with my roof space.

@dudedogvan When you say you may be boondocking is that city, suburbs or country?

To supplement your solar you could put together your own portable foldable panels using 2 100 watt panels and laying them out on a lean to. Another solar controller to add but does not have to an expensive unit as this may just be used intermittently.

I think @Browneye does something similar when he goes out in the middle of nowhere with his RV.

Of course if you are going covert on a city street that may be obvious and more than likely get stolen or damaged.

All of this is assuming you can find the room to stash some extra panels.
Also a good suggestion. I could be parked in any one of those places, so I would prefer to not have extra foldable panels. I'm going to mull it all over some more.

Good suggestions. Any recommendations on quality, lowest cost 250w panels? I may do 2X 250w panels if it works with my roof space.

Also a good suggestion. I could be parked in any one of those places, so I would prefer to not have extra foldable panels. I'm going to mull it all over some more.
Rich solar.
I have an affinity for these new black frame panels.

Rich solar.
I have an affinity for these new black frame panels.

It seems like I've settled on 2X 200w Rich solar panels. They are the right size for the van roof. On Mike's suggestion, I looked a couple 250w panels to see if I could get that extra 100w on the roof, but I wasn't able to find any new ones sized like I want. Looks like it's 2X 200w rich colar panels of ebay for $210 a piece...

It seems like I've settled on 2X 200w Rich solar panels. They are the right size for the van roof. On Mike's suggestion, I looked a couple 250w panels to see if I could get that extra 100w on the roof, but I wasn't able to find any new ones sized like I want. Looks like it's 2X 200w rich colar panels of ebay for $210 a piece...
Not sure your schedule or location, but I would look at SanTan Solar in Phoenix or Atlanta. Used 250w panels for ~$60ea.
I have a bunch and they’re an unbeatable value.

I could have fit one huge solar panel at the back of the coach roof, one at the front. I got up there with a tape measure and tried all manner of grid-type panel sizing to try and make them fit, and without rearranging the AC and vents layout they just didn't fit right. And I still wanted to be able to walk around up there for servicing and cleaning. 26x58 panels fit well, 39" wide ones just didn't.
I was going over to the Phoenix area late last year and thought I could pick up a couple from Santan, they're surely a good deal. I didn't want the 'snail-trail' ones, but they have used panels in good shape too.

BougeRV is another source for 'rv' panels - sometimes they put their stuff on sale, or have discount coupons. Their 200W panels are nice but run a little high at regular pricing - $279. If they put them on sale or you can get a discount they could be an option. Decent product and service. They sell direct, on amazon and ebay as well. Newpowa is another one to look for. These are all mass-produced 12V type solar panels from the far-east, and are about the same in quality. Some have a little nicer frame.

I have 2X215W plus 2x80W folding for ground deploy, and a 100W just for the starting batteries. I would like to replace the ground ones with 130W each, but 26" wide panels won't find in my cargo bay so I have to watch for something 21" wide. Length is okay. The 160W 'suitcase' setup will put out about 150W, the flat ones on the roof about 275. Unless my battery is all the way discharged, we're back to 100% within 3-4 hours of good sun. Larger folders would mean a bigger SCC too. The advantage of ground-deploy is you can generally point them right at the sun in a camping location, with a 25' lead cable.

This is looking towards the front of the coach - I didn't want solar panels across the front edge for wind lift. I wanted them back away from the very front edge.

These also do a nice job of recharging the Delta Mini power bank. Output comparison - at 8AM the 160W folders were putting out 8A and the 430W on the roof about 12A. Orientation does make a difference. I no longer need to plug the RV into shorepower:

I could have fit one huge solar panel at the back of the coach roof, one at the front. I got up there with a tape measure and tried all manner of grid-type panel sizing to try and make them fit, and without rearranging the AC and vents layout they just didn't fit right. And I still wanted to be able to walk around up there for servicing and cleaning. 26x58 panels fit well, 39" wide ones just didn't.
I was going over to the Phoenix area late last year and thought I could pick up a couple from Santan, they're surely a good deal. I didn't want the 'snail-trail' ones, but they have used panels in good shape too.

BougeRV is another source for 'rv' panels - sometimes they put their stuff on sale, or have discount coupons. Their 200W panels are nice but run a little high at regular pricing - $279. If they put them on sale or you can get a discount they could be an option. Decent product and service. They sell direct, on amazon and ebay as well. Newpowa is another one to look for. These are all mass-produced 12V type solar panels from the far-east, and are about the same in quality. Some have a little nicer frame.

I have 2X215W plus 2x80W folding for ground deploy, and a 100W just for the starting batteries. I would like to replace the ground ones with 130W each, but 26" wide panels won't find in my cargo bay so I have to watch for something 21" wide. Length is okay. The 160W 'suitcase' setup will put out about 150W, the flat ones on the roof about 275. Unless my battery is all the way discharged, we're back to 100% within 3-4 hours of good sun. Larger folders would mean a bigger SCC too. The advantage of ground-deploy is you can generally point them right at the sun in a camping location, with a 25' lead cable.

This is looking towards the front of the coach - I didn't want solar panels across the front edge for wind lift. I wanted them back away from the very front edge.

These also do a nice job of recharging the Delta Mini power bank. Output comparison - at 8AM the 160W folders were putting out 8A and the 430W on the roof about 12A. Orientation does make a difference. I no longer need to plug the RV into shorepower:

I’m not in the same sorta coach you are ?

But my 6 250w 65”x41” panels (without snail trails) for $348 was a good option for me.
And Arizona doesn’t have sales tax on solar equipment so that $348 was out the door for me.

Attachments

• FB253E28-913B-4DAB-920E-82D14820BE4F.jpeg
    FB253E28-913B-4DAB-920E-82D14820BE4F.jpeg
    299.6 KB · Views: 6
Maybe too late for the OP, but I have installed the 30A unit for my Ascent/Airstream Caravel 16RB. The dual charger outputs the full current (30 or 50A) if a single source (alternator or solar) is active. It limits to 50% from either source only when both are connected; p16 of the manual. I have a Renogy Eclipse 200w suitcase, so similar to your setup. When driving, I get the full 30A from the alternator. When parked and disconnected from the car, I am limited by the size of my panels.

Back