diy solar

diy solar

All-in-one inverter problems

RanVan

Hi. I just purchased an MPP all in one inverter, the PIP2024LV-MK which will be installed at an off-grid location. I wanted to make sure the inverter is working before trucking it up to the remote location. I hooked up grid AC via the AC IN ports and attached an AC OUT cord to check performance. When I turned the unit on, nothing happened. I thought maybe the batteries had to be connected, so I hooked up 8 x EVE 280 Amp hour LiFePO4 batteries (it is a 24V system) to the battery input, checked my voltage was good and then turned the unit on. Again nothing happened, no sounds and the LCD screen did not register anything. Am I doing something wrong or is the unit faulty. Thanks

Thanks but I hoping the unit is not faulty, long time to send it back and get a new one. So I want to make sure there is not a problem with the way I have hooked things up.

The manual says the make sure to open the DC breaker/disconnector before connecting the grid, but I can't seem to find this. Is it possible this is open, so no power is getting to the inverter? Is it really a switch or a breaker? Thanks

depending on which spec is, many hybrid inverters don't support working without battery. so you shouldnt plug AC to it without a battery first.

I have a 3048LV - you definitely have to have th e battery hooked up for it to turn on / work. There's a 'battery on/off' switch on the bottom - make sure its turned on.
1624977381139.png

Thanks but I hoping the unit is not faulty, long time to send it back and get a new one. So I want to make sure there is not a problem with the way I have hooked things up.

The manual says the make sure to open the DC breaker/disconnector before connecting the grid, but I can't seem to find this. Is it possible this is open, so no power is getting to the inverter? Is it really a switch or a breaker? Thanks
That item is a user-supplied item.

OK but once connected to the grid - you have to turn on the battery (switch at the bottom) or else it won't work / turn on :)
The LV in the model number means it's an off-grid unit driven by battery - not the incoming 120v.

OK but once connected to the grid - you have to turn on the battery (switch at the bottom) or else it won't work / turn on :)
The LV in the model number means it's an off-grid unit driven by battery - not the incoming 120v.
The LV stands for Low Voltage (120v)

Last edited:
Thanks Everyone. Yes I did know there is an on/off switch on the bottom and it was turned on, so unfortunately the fix is not that easy. I was hoping there was some DC disconnect because nothing happened when I hooked up the batteries, but if that is an add-on, then maybe the unit is faulty....damn

Thanks Everyone. Yes I did know there is an on/off switch on the bottom and it was turned on, so unfortunately the fix is not that easy. I was hoping there was some DC disconnect because nothing happened when I hooked up the batteries, but if that is an add-on, then maybe the unit is faulty....damn
Did you also do this?

Screenshot from 2021-06-29 13-13-48.png

Yes - but all the LV(s) are off-grid versions of MPP Solar(s) - you can't connect them to grid on output side as you can the hybrid models. The point I'm trying to make is that 'LV' models must have a battery connected and 'on' for them to work :)
Also incorrect. The LV2424 Hybrid will backfeed the grid, or the LVX6048. And there are several models that are "Batteryless" like the LV6548 I own. You can run it on Solar alone

LV just means low voltage. Not off grid.

I'm not arguing just for arguments sake, I just don't want someone to think an LV model won't work for them because of some silly reasons.

Also incorrect. The LV2424 Hybrid will backfeed the grid, or the LVX6048. And there are several models that are "Batteryless" like the LV6548 I own. You can run it on Solar alone

LV just means low voltage. Not off grid.

I'm not arguing just for arguments sake, I just don't want someone to think an LV model won't work for them because of some silly reasons.
I'm with you and I offer this in an effort to get to 'the details' of this. I'm OK to be wrong and I appreciate the tone/discussion with you :)
I've consistently read that the "LV" models are off-grid for so long and my own 3048LV is off-grid.

Here's the MPP Solar "Inverter Selection Guide" https://www.mppsolar.com/v3/inverter-selection-guide-2/ Perhaps using this as 'the definition of terms' will clear up the confusion?

Near the top they define "Off-Grid" *You can't send power to the grid, you can only draw power from the grid.

Off-Grid or Hybrid?

Off-Grid inverters are defined as the inverter is only able to draw power from grid for backup, when it becomes necessary. Power flow to AC input is therefore one-directional. Hybrid inverters however are able to extra power to grid when there is surplus PV power and therefore power flow to AC input is bi-directional. It’s important to recognize that all Hybrid inverters can operate as Off-Grid inverters, but not vice versa.
Important: when selecting hybrid inverters, be sure to check for any local certification required for legal compliance.

The Off-grid models are in 2 tables....
1625014604453.png

Table 1:
1625014617312.png

Table 2:
1625014455425.png
My own 3048LV is here (e.g. off-grid) listed above .

The hybrids are here:
1625014545135.png

---------------------------------------------------------- RECAP ----------------------------------
Very interesting.....

In general, the majority of "LV" models are in the Off-Grid tables... and perhaps this is why people (and I echoed that today) that "LV"(s) are off-grid... BUT I do see one - "LV 2424" - that is in the Hybrid table... and in the footnote, here's youre's - https://www.mppsolar.com/v3/splitphase-lv6548/ and it says ".... Similar to the LV2424, the LV6548 is also a 120V output..." which might imply its Hybrid?

If LV = low voltage, what's low about 220-240v? as several of the "LV"(s) have 220-240 volts output and I don't see "LV" explicity defined anywhere on the comparison chart. Just curious :)

Attachments

• 1625014582748.png
    1625014582748.png
    27.8 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Back