diy solar

diy solar

All in one Inverter recommendations.

ddanley

I am interested in a project where I can build a car trickle charger (110 only) (Tesla) and a OffGrid backup for hurricane season. I was thinking 24V for the starter system with a 200ah battery. Looked at the Growatt 24V SPF 3000TL LVM and the PIP LV2424 MSD 24V 2.4kW for an all in one solar solution. Looking for recommendations here... I was also thinking of getting 1.2 - 1.5 KWH of solar panels off craigslist. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Solar panels are not rated in KWH, just watts. Consider double the panel wattage 2400 to 3000 watts.

Battery size (amp-hours) sized per your needs. Consider 3-4 days of rain and no sun.

Don't know about Tesla trickle charger.

Don't aim too low for effective charging. There is a certain overhead to run the computer and cooling pumps etc while charging. You really need to be 12 to 16 amps (1500 to 2000 watts) charging to be effective. 24v 2400 to 3000 watt inverter should match well for what you are doing. I believe 3000 to 4000 watts solar is more practical to get a full 4 to 6 hours charging per day. 200 Ah 24v battery would serve fine as a buffer but will not really store much energy to provide a charge. Battery can be expanded later if needed.

On panels, check out Santan Solar, out of Phoenix. ( google em) They sell mostly used removals from solar farms that are upgrading. At least they give a warranty, unlike craigslist. I have purchased 36 panels from them so far, and found it easy.

Back