diy solar

diy solar

All in one vs separate inverter/charger for first system?

Bremraf

So what is the general consensus on an all in one inverter/charger vs separating the two pieces of equipment? I'm look at adding a small solar backup, 5-6kw worth of battery and 1400w worth of panels, would I be best off buying going with something from MPP or buying pieces individually and building from there? I am new to solar but have been in the electrical and utility fields for about 10 years now. Thanks!

FYI - an all-in-one is made of 4 pieces of equipment: inverter, charger, automatic transfer switch, and solar charge controller.

Most inverter/charger units consists of the first 3: inverter, charger, and automatic transfer switch.

Personally I prefer a good inverter/charger and a separate solar charge controller. This allows you to get exactly what you need with only two main pieces of equipment.

All-in-one units are convenient but you are trusting your whole system to one piece of equipment and they tend to have higher idle power usage.

Either approach is just fine for your 1st or 10th system as long as what you get meets your needs. Work out your full plan before you buy anything so you end up with a system that meets your needs.

Just noticed you posted this twice. Here's a link to the other (which has several other replies):

Back