diy solar

diy solar

All kinds of trouble here in Spain

badebolden

I ended here thanks to Will Prowse youtube videos about 12v LiFePO4 batteries.
Hi to all im Torben and live in Spain
Today I just ordered 4 CATL 271ah batteries, that was the easy part, now i have to find a way to connect them to my campervan (rv)
I got the victron 100-20 solar controller that is connected to my 100ah AGM battery, the cars alternator and landpower when available.
Now I bought the LiFePO4 batteries...how do I connect them ? Victron dicretly to the batteries, alternator via dc-dc to bms to batteries, and just skip the onboard landpower and buy a stand alone lithium charger ??
I hope there is a friendly soul, who is willing to give advice about bms and connections and so on.

Best regards
Torben

Hi Torben,

First of all, you need prepair your new LifePo4 cells for initial usage. Top balancing, capacity test, and adding a mandatory BMS.
Calculate the totalls what you will simultaneously consume on power/amps, and choose a 4S BMS that fits in this configuration.
All the information for those first steps, and testing can be found in this forum, and ofcourse via Will Prowse's YouTube video's.
When finished this part, you could pack the 4 cells with appropriate BMS in a protecting battery case, like this one, for example.

In between the main negative LifePo4 connection and the RV, I would prefer a Smart Shunt and a BMV display, for controll.
Next to this a main switch for the battery is advised, but this you might already have installed for the existing AGM battery.
Some users install the Smart Shunt in their LifePo4 battery case, even before the BMS input, for more accurate readings.

You will replace the 100Ah AGM with the new battery case with LifePo4 cells, after all it's your new RV battery with more power.
Solar charger direct on to the battery, but take in account that your 100-20 settings needs to be changed from AGM to LifePo4.
In addition to the Victron 100-20, I would add a Smart Battery sense, so that the Victron solar charger has better charge control.
But, this little Smart Battery sense only works/combines best when you have a Victron Smart (Bluetooth) 100-20 solar controller.
Check this movie of Will to understand it better.

Also check if your DC-DC converter is suitable for LifePo4. Maybe change settings too, or install a new Victron Orion DC-DC.
The Orion is suitable for LifePo4, and you could choose the Isolated version, just to be sure common grounding works out ok.

For charging the LifePo4 with landpower you could use a LifePo4 suitable charger.
A little more expensive is a Victron Multiplus charger/inverter. For example the 1600VA version, for 6A onboard mains power.
This Multiplus is capable of charging the LifePo4 with high current, and giving 230V/6A continuous via it's internal inverter.
Next to this the Multiplus monitors the battery voltage, to prevent underpower/overpower, and can be set/controlled via app.

Maybe it's a lot of info you did not realy thought about when ordering just the 4 LifePo4 cells. And maybe other members will reply with even more info, tips, or corrections on my advises. Just take your time to read all, and get a cup of coffee to watch Will's YouTube video's for that extra learning.

Last edited:
LifePo4 cells
Chortle

capacity test,
Probably not necessary with quality CATL cell.
Now I bought the LiFePO4 batteries...how do I connect them ? Victron dicretly to the batteries, alternator via dc-dc to bms to batteries, and just skip the onboard landpower and buy a stand alone lithium charger ?
this is a good simple start. Change the Victron settings to LiFePO4 and you are set. You may find you do not need the land power lithium charger but that depends on your solar/alternator/usage.

Chortle

Probably not necessary with quality CATL cell.

this is a good simple start. Change the Victron settings to LiFePO4 and you are set. You may find you do not need the land power lithium charger but that depends on your solar/alternator/usage.

LifePo4 - Chortle..? I don't get it... Please explain.
Maybe becasue I'm Dutch, a translation thing? ?

Now Im almost ready to begin the installation. I bought me a 20A dc-dc converter but Im unsure if it can handle the altrernators power, some says the alternator only delivers 1/10 of the rated power others says 90% !!! Is the smart shunt necessary if I got a BMS 120 with bluetooth ?
At last, there is a lot of links to Victron, are they the only supplier for lithium battery products, here im thinking of the dc-dc converter, smart shunt, lithium charger, ect.. ?

This type of unit is not suitable as a battery charger and will most likely fail if connected to a lithium battery. You need a battery to battery charger, common units used are from, Victron, Sterling Power, Renogy, Votronic, Kasie.
Since you are based in Europe, the Victron Orion 12 12 30 or the Votronic VCC 1212 30 would be easily obtainable. Unless your vehicle an old model the alternator should be able to power these units, most manufactures state that up to 40A additional current can be safely taken from the alternator.
Is the smart shunt necessary
The BMS via the app will show battery capacity ,current, and voltage with history, and in my experience the values are very similar to the Victron Smart shunt values. The smart shunt will display additional information and its useful to have, but battery condition and charge/discharge shown by the BMS is enough for a modest system.
a lot of links to Victron, are they the only supplier
No, I have listed some alternatives above and there are many others. Victron products are well designed and constructed, have a long warranty, the Bluetooth versions are easy to setup and provide data.

Mike

I dont get why the DC-DC converter can't do it ? Its doing the same thing right, Converting 12v to whatever voltage i want to put into the bms ? Or does it need to have a lithium charging profile before it goes to the bms ?
Sorry for all these questions, but the more youtube videos I see, the more confusing its gets...

I think the proper spelling is LifePO4. I wouldn't know that either if Mr. Obvious hadn't pointed it out.
He probably pointed out to the f which should be in capital F. Otherwise it makes ”Life”.
LiFePo4

The Blue Smart IP22 is a better charger for RV use.

Your camper van has a common negative for engine battery and house battery so you dont need the isolated version, the non isolated lower cost unit would work OK ( the isolated version will still function but non isolated are less money). If the alternator can support higher current the Victron Orion 12 12 30 would give 30A charge.
I dont get why the DC-DC converter
A correctly designed B to B charger, like the Victron Orion, will terminate charging once the programmed limit is reached and can be set up for a lithium charge profile.

Mike

Back