diy solar

diy solar

Alligator Clips to Eyelet Cable for 1200w Inverter

I thought that might be the case, I have no tools. So that would require a wire cutter, stripper, and crimper? Heat wrap?

I thought that might be the case, I have no tools. So that would require a wire cutter, stripper, and crimper? Heat wrap?
Typically, yes. I use a blow torch and solder the connectors instead of crimp. Got a friend/neighbor that could make up the connectors for you?

I don't need no stinkin' Prius. I drive a GMC pickemup and a Polaris Slingshot.

97 2500 long bed with the 454 here. That's just enough for me to maintain my man-card with having 3 Prii on the premises. Slingshot has too many wheels. CBR929R for me. :)

Typically, yes. I use a blow torch and solder the connectors instead of crimp. Got a friend/neighbor that could make up the connectors for you?

Not that I know of unfortunately.

So the wire gauge (2, 4) is determined by the max inverter amps? I'm watching here where it is covered around the 5:30 mark.

As I'm reading this, 16 AWG is skinnier than 12 AWG, so 12 AWG should be better. An assumption of mine is that the 12 AWG wire would go on the AC side. I'm going to say check the manual on this to be sure.

If the 12 AWG is not on the AC side, it would be DC going from the battery to the inverter, which I think a 12 AWG DC run would need to be very short.
These tools can start to get expensive. I got a hydraulic crimper for 2/0 wire for $100, because I don't like the idea of a connection sealed with a hammer. You can get all sorts of wire at the hardware store. I know home depot goes larger than 2/0, maybe 4/0, maybe larger.

I'm not saying to buy a $100 crimper, but inverter wire is depended on amps to the (inverter watts/DV Voltage)*1.2 and then length, and ran through a DC calculator. This got me 2/0 wire from the battery to the inverter on a 5' run for a 2000 watt inverter. Not doing these calculations can cause things like voltages drops and the inverter kicking off, wires heating up excessively, smelling of melting/burning insulation or fires.

As I'm reading this, 16 AWG is skinnier than 12 AWG, so 12 AWG should be better. An assumption of mine is that the 12 AWG wire would go on the AC side. I'm going to say check the manual on this to be sure.

If the 12 AWG is not on the AC side, it would be DC going from the battery to the inverter, which I think a 12 AWG DC run would need to be very short.
These tools can start to get expensive. I got a hydraulic crimper for 2/0 wire for $100, because I don't like the idea of a connection sealed with a hammer. You can get all sorts of wire at the hardware store. I know home depot goes larger than 2/0, maybe 4/0, maybe larger.

I'm not saying to buy a $100 crimper, but inverter wire is depended on amps to the (inverter watts/DV Voltage)*1.2 and then length, and ran through a DC calculator. This got me 2/0 wire from the battery to the inverter on a 5' run for a 2000 watt inverter. Not doing these calculations can cause things like voltages drops and the inverter kicking off, wires heating up excessively, smelling of melting/burning insulation or fires.

I'm looking at the DC side, car battery to inverter. My inverter came with 2 foot 5 AWG cable and no alligator clips. I see a lot of the lower wattage inverters come with alligator clips.

Not that I know of unfortunately.

So the wire gauge (2, 4) is determined by the max inverter amps? I'm watching here where it is covered around the 5:30 mark.
Your wire size is determined by the load connected to your inverter. 4 gauge is good for about 75A and 2 gauge about 100A. I say 'about' because it depends on the wire type and length. You'd need to use a wire size calculator (do a search for that, many posted in the forums) to determine your specific requirements. As was said earlier, if you have a 1200W inverter at 12VDC and actually draw 1200W on the 120VAC side, you have to size for 100A.

I'm looking at the DC side, car battery to inverter. My inverter came with 2 foot 5 AWG cable and no alligator clips. I see a lot of the lower wattage inverters come with alligator clips.

Really need to see how long it is from your inverter to the battery, and not as the bird flies, but as the cable goes. Also need to take into account both ways. So, if you have a 1200 watt inverter, 1200/12*1.2=120 amps, and go to a wire size calculator and get wire for 3% loss or less.

If you look at Amazon reviews, a lot of people write bad reviews when they have dangerously installed the inverter. As @Rider said, it should be "about" 2 gauge, but when you read the reviews you'll see things like, "Didn't come with wire so used 6 gauge wire and the inverter would kick off before hitting 1200 watts," or "I used the provided 4 gauge wire and I smelt the wires burning."

I really don't think enough people run the calculations, and there's something like 100,000 electrical fires a year in America. I had three appliances in the last couple of years in my house on grid power smoke or burn at the outlet: a toaster oven at the cord to appliance connection, an iron at the same place, and a washer at the outlet. All those and I'm not overusing electricity,

Something else I'll add... those alligator clamps aren't the best for sustained high current draws. If you're drawing 50A or less, you would probably be ok. If you're pulling 100A sustained for more than a few minutes, those clamps are going to get very hot where they connect to the battery post. if you find that happening, stop using it and find a better method.

Thank you guys!

The 1200w is really just to cover the surge for our refrigerator. It draws about 130 when running. Add some chargers for phones and computers, maybe cable modem if Xfinity isn’t down, a fan, and some lights. We would be looking at maybe 400w continuous.

I don't need no stinkin' Prius. I drive a GMC pickemup and a Polaris Slingshot.

Ford F-350 with the 6.7L diesel and a Polaris Ranger 900XP. Oh, and a Nissan Leaf. :) I thought about the Slingshot. It might fit in my toy hauler. Does Polaris still make the Slingshot?

It would be nice if the forum showed member locations. I have a heavy duty crimper and wouldn't mind making a cable for a local member as long as they bring their own supplies.

Back