diy solar

diy solar

Aloha from the big island

Smiley2020

Been living off electric grid for a few years, previously rented a place with a gargantuan solar system that i had to occasionally check water levels and float the voltage with a honda generator.

Recent off grid place is owned by me so i have the ambition to design and install a more automated and compact “set it and forget it” solar system that can be duplicated somewhat around the property as needed. i’m still building out and not quite situated yet.

I bought a bluetti ac200 1700kwh last year, an eb70 this past summer and most recently a 1228kwh lifepo4 1000W generator which like the eb70 is limited to 180W charging. I have no regret YET purchasing these little handy boxes, they have 2 and 3 year warranties and safety features. If i ever have to pay shipping from hawaii for warranty service that will totally suck, crossing my fingers it never happens.

I’m a little bit over $4k into this “expensive learning hobby” that is saving me around $8k to install a pole plus another $150-400 on monthly electric bills. Part of me is sorry for not getting the cheaper 6v golf cart batteries and gear and keeping this initial investment to less than a thousand or two, maybe i’m not sorry, time will tell.

The dream system I’m saving up for is applying white epoxy to a shipping container roof with room 4 large bifacials, a beefy 80amp SSC and a bank of battle borns or similar lifepo4 battery. when all is said and done, i expect to spend another $8k in addition to what i’ve already spent over the course of the next 5 years, this number includes any generator gasoline and propane for cooking and heating. This total number is double of what I originally projected a couple of years ago. Propane and gasoline seems part of the duplication requirement of not being grid tied.

Being grid tied is not off the table, i probably will install a pole for fiber optic cable so setting up a hybrid system might not be much more of a stretch.

I enjoy reading this forum and searching it when i have random unspecific questions. Awesome people here, really know their shit, thanks for teaching me.

yeah, they stopped accepting applications for NEM 6 years ago. if i decide to be tied to the grid for emergency backup, i probably should consider enrolling in this smart export program before it reaches capacity and theyshut it down.

wondering if it would even cover the base monthly hookup fee. 11 cents doesn’t seem like much per kw

Welcome and stick around. I bought a couple of Battle borns for temporary use just to keep the lights on. Great battery. Much cheaper available.

Back