diy solar

diy solar

Alternatives to lynx distributor?

gac1222

Hey guys, was building my system with the lynx distributor in mind because I like how clean and organized it is, but am realizing my fusing needs are much smaller than the mega fuses the lynx requires. Two of my devices just require 30 and 40 amp fuses, and it seems mega fuses aren't made that low. Any suggestions? Trying to avoid all the unnecessary clutter two bus bars and fuses would create if possible.

I saw this

Does it take smaller fuses than 50?? It still only seems to accept mega fuses bit I'm also a noob

Hey guys, was building my system with the lynx distributor in mind because I like how clean and organized it is, but am realizing my fusing needs are much smaller than the mega fuses the lynx requires. Two of my devices just require 30 and 40 amp fuses, and it seems mega fuses aren't made that low. Any suggestions? Trying to avoid all the unnecessary clutter two bus bars and fuses would create if possible.

I saw this

Does it take smaller fuses than 50?? It still only seems to accept mega fuses bit I'm also a noob

This thread gives some idea of the requirements

I knew nothing about the Lynx Distributor until I was helping someone upgrade their sailboat electrical. The Lynx Distributor is absolutely awesome. Although Victron stuff can be somewhat expensive, the Lynx Distributor is actually pretty cheap when you look at what all you would have to buy to give the same functionality. On top of that, it is very space efficient. Having said all that....

I sympathize with you @gac1222 - Some of the stuff in the boat was relatively small amps, and you just can buy fuses for the Lynx that are smaller than about 40A as I recall. Too bad. The approach I took was to combine a few things. I two 30A charge controllers, with plenty big enough wire, so I put them both together, I think on an 80A MEGA fuse (don't recall exactly). If you keep in mind that the fusing is to protect the wiring, you can combine things as long as the wiring is sufficient to each branch for the fuse size.

I believe the LYNX should feed a separate distribution for smaller loads. Otherwise run larger wire to those two devices. Dead short will still open a fuse if it is a bit large for the wire.

I saw this

RENOGY has a similar unit that is 500A and uses MRBF fuses. I don't know if it will attach to a lynx or not. https://www.renogy.com/rego-500a-combiner-box/

Back