diy solar

diy solar

Am I grounded in this understanding?

chrisstratton

Sorry for the pun. I've read and re-read FilterGuy's very informative resource on grounding: https://diysolarforum.com/resources/grounding-made-simpler-part-4-mobile-systems.159/reviews

I think that the Growatt 3000 is an example of the "inverter charger" in section 4 of the referenced resource. And I think that this means the ground/neutral tie is handled, whether on battery or on shore power, by the Growatt. Is this correct??

Also - I have a 24v house battery and intend all the loads to be "home run" using pairs of wires, NOT using the chassis of my shuttlebus for the negative connection. Nonetheless, as I understand FilterGuy - I should connect the 24 negative to the chassis. Is this correct??

Thanks in advance! EDITED FOR CLARITY

Last edited:
Not sure what "shore power by Growatt" means. If you are plugged into utility power the bond is only made at the main utility panel at your home or the RV park. If Growatt is supplying the 120vac then yes any neutral-ground bond is made by the inverter. If running on just battery power (no inverter) there is no neutral ground bond.

Not sure what "shore power by Growatt" means. If you are plugged into utility power the bond is only made at the main utility panel at your home or the RV park. If Growatt is supplying the 120vac then yes any neutral-ground bond is made by the inverter. If running on just battery power (no inverter) there is no neutral ground bond.
(sorry - put in some commas for clarity). Thanks for the response. I believe I'm understanding that the 115v ground/neutral bonding is handled 1) by the RV park if on shore power and 2) if the inverter is running (from battery). Also, I'm understanding I should ground my 24v battery negative to the chassis. Again - thanks for the help.

That is proper. Negative battery connected to chassis. Inverter case lug connected to chassis. Do use separate return negatives cables from critical devices, don't rely on chassis negative. The campground pedestal green, through the shore cable, the green must connect to the chassis.

Back