diy solar

diy solar

Am I required to use a fused/breaker combiner box and where can I put it?

10F = -12.2C so 37.2C drop

46.81V x 37.2 deg drop x .0035= 6.1V increase
Temp compensated Voc 52.9V

550/52.9=10.4 panels
600/52.9=11.34 panels (the hard limit is 11)

11 x 37.2Vmp = 409V
At 77F a string of 11 in series will run at 409V

Is your panel Vmp really 37.2V?
that seems odd (low compared to Voc).
How do you know what temperature was used when the solar panel was rated? I'm assuming that is where you are getting the 37.2C drop when assuming the 10F? (EDIT: Never mind: you got it from the 25C temp on the sticker minus -12.2C = 37.2C drop. Got it.

Last edited:
I'm in NC and just picked up some of the same panels used. Good luck with your project.

I live in central North Carolina. How do I know what temperature compensations to use? Besides, if I push the envelope, I will find out faster than anyone when there is a solar flare!!! BRHAHAHAHA I'm going to use the max 8 AWG wire for DC input and 6 AWG wire for AC output, so at least the wire should handle things. 65 foot runs with wire at most.
I live in NC too. ( ski resorts area.) . look at the weather temp charts for the last 30 years snd use the lowest temp you can see for your area… then lower it a few more degrees for freaky events happening..
in the western mountains 4000 ft up , I just use the bottom figure. -40 F to be safe. I think that’s about the temp it stops boosting the power of the panels . The coldest I have seen here is - 25F. once in about 1993 , but it’s been lower in the 1970’s .

in the piedmont where you probably are ,use at least ZERO F .
I have seen it at 3 F anchored in my sailboat in the Wilmington river in the 1980s , right near the ocean….. froze my butt off…that was weird…

Back