diy solar

diy solar

Ammeters and diodes

Do I really have to draw you a picture?
arrabbiato1.gif
Yes.

Wiring diagrams are of critical importance for understanding wiring... configurations.

I guess if you really don't want to understand... you won't :·/
It's not that difficult, though.
What we don't understand is why the solution has been presented several times but you don't want it.

Separate cables from scc to battery and battery to load.

One meter on each. Done.

The solar/AC charger/inverter is an all-in-one...
Sucks to suck then.
Not much you can do about it lol

For a person who's seemingly absolutely confident that it can be done you sure don't seem to be capable of doing it.

You're trying to extract information from the circuit that's simply not there without some programming, a second meter on your load, and a custom digital controller making some assumptions to drive two analog displays.

Either power is going into the battery from the all in one, OR it's coming out of the battery into the all in one. You can't have both at once.

You don't have some magical two way power flow in that wire so how do you intend to pull out two different pieces of data?

Your solution is the two way meter.

OR.

You can simply use the all in one's display whether you like it or not.

That also means your diagram above is meaningless since your setup can't support it.

Because without it, the discharge meter wouldn't show discharge when I'm charging. The needle would go backwards.
No?

That would only happen if you are charging through that meter.

Your loads are still discharging through it.

I truly understand the appeal of the analog meter.

I hate digital speedometer on my motorcycles and cars.

It's faster to get an idea of the situation from across the room just by seeing the angle of the needle.

However the information you want is combined together and inseparable once they're both on the same wire. This is why a two way meter like the blue sea or a shunt works the way it does.

You're either charging the battery or drawing from it. Anything occurring after the fact, like simultaneously running a load and charging current from PV, will simply sum together into current in one direction or the other.

Well, the diode should work. Even the parallel shunt might.
I'll just try... otherwise I'll use another charge controller and separate the wires, I guess :·/

I really do want separate (analog) meters for charge and discharge.

I'm glad you appreciate the beauty of analog. If you have a wind generator... it's priceless :·)

The load is not the power source so it cannot make the meter feeding the load to go backward due to no back current flow!
The load PULLS current from Power Source, it DOES NOT PUSH current back to the Power Source.

Last edited:
I guess if you really don't want to understand... you won't :·/
It's not that difficult, though.
I do not think you understand how current flow if your look at your schematic to see how the current flows through the Amp meter connected to the load, I am not the only that's trying to explain to you how it works so far.
BTW, my system is also all in one!

Last edited:
Yeah right. You try it then. Show me a load meter that doesn't go backwards when charging without a diode.

Well, look at the diagram of your own drawing again, why would the Amp meter connected to the LOAD read backward? You think by putting in the diode as you show will stop the Amp meter on the LOAD for going backward? Like I said, Load does not PUSH the current back to the Power Source!
Look at the current flow in your diagram of what you are trying do.

Last edited:
Back