diy solar

diy solar

Amp Hour meter - bidirectional with persistence/memory

sshibly

Solar Enthusiast
I see BT24 meter are bidirectional, but this one needs an external PS

What are the options for a bidirectional Amp Hour Meter that will keep the number in memory if disconnected?

These are powered by the batteries they monitor.

I can't say that they will retain the info if they are disconnected from the power source.

These are powered by the batteries they monitor.

I can't say that they will retain the info if they are disconnected from the power source.
The victron is the cat's meow but that is too bulky, I need something slim, that I can plug in when I use/charge them and then unhook and put them away.

I have been playing with JBD/Overkill bms, the amp meter on it keeps track of the current in/out and has graphs current, has graphs of SOC too.

I wish they made energy meters which had little watch batteries to store stuff in mem.

I I think the Overkill's BMS just might work.
I am a bit concerned about moisture and how it will affect it.

The victron is the cat's meow but that is too bulky, I need something slim, that I can plug in when I use/charge them and then unhook and put them away.

I have been playing with JBD/Overkill bms, the amp meter on it keeps track of the current in/out and has graphs current, has graphs of SOC too.

I wish they made energy meters which had little watch batteries to store stuff in mem.

I I think the Overkill's BMS just might work.
I am a bit concerned about moisture and how it will affect it.
Most well designed battery monitors retain programmed settings in their flash memory. They do not retain SoC.

SoC meters do not retain SoC info when disconnected from a battery bank for a reason. The meter may be re-connected to another bank or to the original bank that may have been depleted and the retained SoC value would be misleading.

My Victron BMV-712 has no memory for storing historical data. When connected to it with the app, I can see a graph, but the graph's timeline starts only when the graph is created. I haven't watched it long enough to see when it discards older data, but I wouldn't expect it to show much. The retain history, I would have to step up to one of the more expensive Victron monitors.

the problem is I was thinking modular

Batt > BMS > inverter/trolling motor

I guess I have to rethink it to

Batt+BMS > Inverter/trolling motor

The BMS may have the history you're looking for. The Overill Solar BMS has history, but the presentation of it in the app is nothing to get excited about.

An off-the-shelf battery would be Batt/BMS together. A DIY battery would have a BMS as an add-on.

When I looked at putting an electric motor on my rowboat, I decided to skip that idea since it would have to be registered. No motor = no registration.

The BMS may have the history you're looking for. The Overill Solar BMS has history, but the presentation of it in the app is nothing to get excited about.

An off-the-shelf battery would be Batt/BMS together. A DIY battery would have a BMS as an add-on.

When I looked at putting an electric motor on my rowboat, I decided to skip that idea since it would have to be registered. No motor = no registration.
yes, I have been tinkering with overkillz bms for the past few days.

I am baffled though on the SOC it show, how it comes about the number.

In MI you gots to get MC#s for a tiny sail boat, never figured out why.

yes, I have been tinkering with overkillz bms for the past few days.

I am baffled though on the SOC it show, how it comes about the number.

As I recall, I set the the Ah capacity with the app and then after it ran through a charge cycle (or two) it had the right state of charge.

agree, hence my preference is the Daly sealed Superior BMS, but their low voltage is SUPER low.
I'm not sure, but I think you can tell them what voltage to use, I know you can for other models. You could always use the chat feature and ask. I agree their default settings are not what I would choose.

I'm not sure, but I think you can tell them what voltage to use, I know you can for other models. You could always use the chat feature and ask. I agree their default settings are not what I would choose.
That's what I thought, I pinged them on ali and they insisted I use their "SMART" bms.

So even though it can be done in the books, they are not willing to.

Back