diy solar

diy solar

Amp hours

Warm

I have 280 amp hour lithium prismatic batteries and a 40 amp Renogy rover Controller and want to maximize my amp hours so I have full capacity at night and noticed that the Renogy controller will read that it has so many amp hours but then it will drop to zero in one second so I don’t understand why it is dropping the amp hours and how to fully fill the capacity of my lithium batteries to maximum amp hours and how to test that to make sure it is full. When the amp hours are not built up then at night are use a CPAP and it drains the battery down during the night and goes into undervoltage mode, I use the sun to charge my battery during the day, I have lots of power coming into the controller but want to build up my amp hours without damaging my batteries from overload or overvoltage

lots of questions in there, lets give it a try...

your battery is how you store your energy.
your renogy rover is how you take the energy from your panels and "charge" your batteries.
your panels are providing your charging power
it looks like your "load" is your CPAP machine.

Your question is: you want to make sure your battery bank is completely charged during the day, right??
If your solar charge controller is configured correctly for your battery chemistry, you will NOT "overload" or damage your batteries...(if you have a BMS in the loop). Your rover WILL stop "charging" your batteries once they are full, if it is configured correctly.

a few question will help you get the answers that you need:
1) how many batteries do you have?
2) how are your batteries wired (series, parallel); and do you have a DIY BMS or are these "pre-built"?
3) how many solar panels do you have, how are they wired?
4)what are the specs on your solar panels (max solar output voltage and current or wattage)?
5)how much power does you cpap machine use? (depending on options cpap machines with a humidifier or tube heater can easily hit 400+watts)

lots of questions in there, lets give it a try...

your battery is how you store your energy.
your renogy rover is how you take the energy from your panels and "charge" your batteries.
your panels are providing your charging power
it looks like your "load" is your CPAP machine.

Your question is: you want to make sure your battery bank is completely charged during the day, right??
If your solar charge controller is configured correctly for your battery chemistry, you will NOT "overload" or damage your batteries...(if you have a BMS in the loop). Your rover WILL stop "charging" your batteries once they are full, if it is configured correctly.

a few question will help you get the answers that you need:
1) how many batteries do you have?
2) how are your batteries wired (series, parallel); and do you have a DIY BMS or are these "pre-built"?
3) how many solar panels do you have, how are they wired?
4)what are the specs on your solar panels (max solar output voltage and current or wattage)?
5)how much power does you cpap machine use? (depending on options cpap machines with a humidifier or tube heater can easily hit 400+watts)
I have two sets of batteries one set is a 280 amp hour 12 V prismatic set of four, and one 200 amp hour prismatic 12 V set of four they are wired together at the moment to make 480 amp hours at 12 VI have two sets of solar panels one set is for panels 100 W each 12 V the other set is two panels 200 W each each set of panels go by themselves down to the controllers once it is connected to a 40 amp rover Renner I have two sets of solar panels one set is for panels 100 W each 12 V the other set is two panels 200 W each each set of panels go by themselves down to the controllers once it is connected to a 40 amp rover Renogy, The other set is connected to a 50 amp B2B controller. My output on my solar panels in full sun usually output somewhere between 20 amp and 23Amps, I monitor them with a DC amp meter,My CPAP fluctuates in amperage as I breathe but it seems like somewhere around six point something amps when in use no humidifier.

I have two sets of batteries one set is a 280 amp hour 12 V prismatic set of four, and one 200 amp hour prismatic 12 V set of four they are wired together at the moment to make 480 amp hours at 12 VI have two sets of solar panels one set is for panels 100 W each 12 V the other set is two panels 200 W each each set of panels go by themselves down to the controllers once it is connected to a 40 amp rover Renner I have two sets of solar panels one set is for panels 100 W each 12 V the other set is two panels 200 W each each set of panels go by themselves down to the controllers once it is connected to a 40 amp rover Renogy, The other set is connected to a 50 amp B2B controller. My output on my solar panels in full sun usually output somewhere between 20 amp and 23Amps, I monitor them with a DC amp meter,My CPAP fluctuates in amperage as I breathe but it seems like somewhere around six point something amps when in use no humidifier.
Each set of solar panels uses approximately 23 A full sun each set is wired to each controller

solar panels in full sun usually output somewhere between 20 amp and 23Amps
Is this both sets of panels?
With the standard 5 hours of charging, that is roughly 20% of your battery capacity.

How much energy, in watt hours does your CPAP need each night?

And why do you have your panels in such an odd configuration? You should be able to get enough power to max out your 40a Rover.
600w solar / 12.8v charge = ~47a
47a x 5 hr = 235ah. (Almost half your battery capacity)

Is this both sets of panels?
With the standard 5 hours of charging, that is roughly 20% of your battery capacity.

How much energy, in watt hours does your CPAP need each night?

And why do you have your panels in such an odd configuration? You should be able to get enough power to max out your 40a Rover.
600w solar / 12.8v charge = ~47a
47a x 5 hr = 235ah. (Almost half your battery capacity)
The 20 to 23 Amps is each set of batteries

The 20 to 23 Amps is each set of batteries
One reason my system is set up a little weird is because I was supposed to receive a BMS from China that did not arrive because of the US Postal Service and then I was supposed to receive another set of batteries which would’ve given me another 280 amp hours so I would not have to worry about power. But China failed to produce the last set of prismatic sales so I ended up with one set at 280 amp hours and another set of plasmatic batteries at 200 amp hours

One reason my system is set up a little weird is because I was supposed to receive a BMS from China that did not arrive because of the US Postal Service and then I was supposed to receive another set of batteries which would’ve given me another 280 amp hours so I would not have to worry about power. But China failed to produce the last set of prismatic sales so I ended up with one set at 280 amp hours and another set of plasmatic batteries at 200 amp hours
My real concern right now is that my Renogy controllers keep kicking into boost mode and I don’t know why and I want to make sure that I can keep charging my batteries to increase my amp hours because when I first started on this trip the batteries would run down overnight I could not figure out why until I left them running in the sun charging them, And then my amp hours would build up between 100 and 200 once that happen my batteries held the charge and I had no problem running anything at night.I am not confident in Renogy’s controllers and have called them a number of times and not confident about the people answering the phones. Does someone else make a device that would monitor the amp hours that seems to be what I need to do to make sure they’re built up enough during the day when the suns out

Back