diy solar

diy solar

Ampere Time 100Ah 12v & Renogy Rover

HenryA

Currently using a Renogy Rover Li - 30A paired with Renogy Gel Batteries and I felt like it was time for an upgrade.

Currently have a Ampere Time 12v 100AH heading my way but I’m a little confused on the settings.

Does anyone have this combination? Is it good enough to just switch the battery type in the controller from Gel to Lithium. I emailed Renogy and they gave me a canned reply saying the default lithium setting is only for Renogy Lithium.

1646959597275.jpeg
So those are the voltages if I stick to regular LI mode without modulations.

I asked Ampere time and they sent me this reply.

Thank you for your message.
For your reference, we've listed the voltage settings for the inverter/controller in our latest product manual.
CHARGING
Charge /Bulk /Boost Voltage: 14.4V / 14.6V
Absorption Voltage: 14.4V / 14.6V
Over Voltage Disconnect: 15V
Over Voltage Reconnect: 14.2V
DISCHARGING
Under Voltage Warning: 11.6V
Under Voltage Recover: 12V
Low Voltage Disconnect: 10.8V
Low Voltage Reconnect: 12.4V
If you have any other questions, pls feel free to contact us.
Best wishes,
Your friend Lynch
From Ampere Time

Would I be okay with just using the stock LI setting with this battery or would I need to make a custom profile under the USER own settings option.

Go with the user settings in the rover and enter the settings provided by Ampere time. Seems a lot of the default profiles are on average higher preprogrammed lithium than what I found on my ampere time battery. Next few days hope to get a shunt and do a capacity test verify that the ampere time does get the 100ah stated.

Agree, but after having my Ampere Time 12V 200ah battery for several months and reading recommendation after recommendation, there are so many schools of thought it can get confusing. The changes I made under a user profile were the following:
MPP Off-Grid to run my home office.
Also I use a transfer switch for back to grid. and only charge via pv/solar

Bulk Charge- 14.3V
Float- 13.6V
Back to battery- 14V
Back to Grid- 12.5V
Shut down battery- 11.5V (10.8V is too scary close to kicking in the BMS auto shutdown- major pain to clear that)

bvbv.JPG

You should get a handbook with all the setting required written in it. Easy to access the parameters on the rover in user. Make sure you disconnect the temp sensor if you didn’t know that already, I didn’t.
And have also read somewhere else on here to set the high voltage disconnect and max charging voltage a couple points below to allow for inaccuracies in the rover voltage reading.

I talked to ampere time actually about the rover and sent them the default lithium settings. Amperetime said nope to high. Use the settings on the card or booklet that came with the battery which is what I set up for initially.
User setting for the win
Agree, but after having my Ampere Time 12V 200ah battery for several months and reading recommendation after recommendation, there are so many schools of thought it can get confusing. The changes I made under a user profile were the following:
MPP Off-Grid to run my home office.
Also I use a transfer switch for back to grid. and only charge via pv/solar

Bulk Charge- 14.3V
Float- 13.6V
Back to battery- 14V
Back to Grid- 12.5V
Shut down battery- 11.5V (10.8V is too scary close to kicking in the BMS auto shutdown- major pain to clear that)

View attachment 100927

Is anyone still reading this particular post? If so, you may be able to help me. I recently built a system for my Travel Trailer, using a similar setup - two Ampere Time 12v 100a LifePo4 batteries and the the Renogy Rover 60 (I have a 750w PV array) charge controller. Since Ampere Time's recommended parameters don't exactly match the Rover's options (plus the Rover has many more options) I ended up calling Renogy support and told them what Ampere Time's recommendations were, and they told me how to setup the Rover. Since then I started getting battery over voltage alarms on the Rover, even though the batteries are only at 14.2-14.4v (confirmed with my voltmeter). I noticed above and read elsewhere as well that I should not use the temperature sensor with LifePo4 batteries. I didn't know that. Could that be what's causing the Rover to give me the over voltage alarms - could it be that simple?

Also, HenryA did you ever end up with some user settings for the Rover which seem to work well with your Ampere Times?
Thanks!

Is anyone still reading this particular post? If so, you may be able to help me. I recently built a system for my Travel Trailer, using a similar setup - two Ampere Time 12v 100a LifePo4 batteries and the the Renogy Rover 60 (I have a 750w PV array) charge controller. Since Ampere Time's recommended parameters don't exactly match the Rover's options (plus the Rover has many more options) I ended up calling Renogy support and told them what Ampere Time's recommendations were, and they told me how to setup the Rover. Since then I started getting battery over voltage alarms on the Rover, even though the batteries are only at 14.2-14.4v (confirmed with my voltmeter). I noticed above and read elsewhere as well that I should not use the temperature sensor with LifePo4 batteries. I didn't know that. Could that be what's causing the Rover to give me the over voltage alarms - could it be that simple?

Also, HenryA did you ever end up with some user settings for the Rover which seem to work well with your Ampere Times?
Thanks!
Post up the settings renogy gave you.
And what ampere time gave you.
Screen shot and post current settings in renogy app.

Thanks!
As for the settings I’ll post mine, if your using the Bluetooth module (love the option) here is where I am set to currently. (Using the Renogy BT app) running the 100ah battery but voltages I would guess would be the same if your running them together with the 12v output.
Don’t forget in this app you have to click battery, then select READ to get your current actual settings. Then it will load the current parameters in the controller.
Click set and enter the ampere time password it’s here and the manual don’t remember off hand. Then battery and adjust settings as needed.
My current settings are as follows
Click to see entire image.
Also I think mine is about .1 or .2 off varies a little but better than when first set up.

Attachments

• 2AAD8A21-99F4-4D32-B1F4-D21120C97989.jpeg
    2AAD8A21-99F4-4D32-B1F4-D21120C97989.jpeg
    90.5 KB · Views: 25
As for the settings I’ll post mine, if your using the Bluetooth module (love the option) here is where I am set to currently. (Using the Renogy BT app) running the 100ah battery but voltages I would guess would be the same if your running them together with the 12v output.
Don’t forget in this app you have to click battery, then select READ to get your current actual settings. Then it will load the current parameters in the controller.
Click set and enter the ampere time password it’s here and the manual don’t remember off hand. Then battery and adjust settings as needed.
My current settings are as follows
Click to see entire image.
Also I think mine is about .1 or .2 off varies a little but better than when first set up.
I am seeing some minor differences between mine and yours - mainly your float & boost are lower.

To make things easier, first here is what Ampere Time recommends in their user manual (keep in mind I have two of these batteries):
CHARGING
Charge/Bulk/Boost Voltage = 14.4/14.6
Absorption Voltage = 14.4/14.6
Over Voltage Disconnect = 15
Over Voltage Reconnect = 14.2
Tail Current = 2a

Additional data from Amper Time...13.5v at rest (no charge or discharge) is considered 100% capacity.

DisCharging
Under Voltage Warning = 11.6
Under Voltage Recover = 12
Low Voltage Disconnect = 10.8
Low Voltage Reconnect = 12.4

Now, here is what Renogy support told me how to setup the Rover 60:
Overvoltage Threshold = 15v
Charging Limit Voltage = 14.6
Equalization Voltage = 14.6
Boost charging Voltage = 14.6
Float charging Voltage = 14.6
Boost charging recovery = 14.6
Over-discharge recover = 12
Under-voltage Warning = 11.6
Low voltage disconnect = 10.8
Low voltage disconnect delay = default (I think 5 secs)
Equalization time = 0 min
Boost time = 120 min

Part of my problem is that the parameters are not apples-to-apples between the two mfrs. So I've color coded what seem to be the obvious matches. I feel like the others Renogy was just guessing at. I would really love if somebody could spot what might be causing the alarms.

I am seeing some minor differences between mine and yours - mainly your float & boost are lower.

To make things easier, first here is what Ampere Time recommends in their user manual (keep in mind I have two of these batteries):
CHARGING
Tail Current = 2a

Additional data from Amper Time...13.5v at rest (no charge or discharge) is considered 100% capacity.

DisCharging

Boost time = 120 min

Part of my problem is that the parameters are not apples-to-apples between the two mfrs. So I've color coded what seem to be the obvious matches. I feel like the others Renogy was just guessing at. I would really love if somebody could spot what might be causing the alarms.
Renogy has some very curious recommendations. That float it is off the charts for this type of battery. Quite frankly, I would start with Ampere Times suggested settings and tweak as needed until you locate the OV alarm trigger your'e suffering from. Attached is a STD Voltage state/% chart to reference. might help with your settings. Remember, this battery chemistry loves to be fully cycled, a lot of Micro charging with high floats are not a great idea IMO, shortens the battery life.

Attachments

• msf4vpdl-1_14.jpg
    msf4vpdl-1_14.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 9
Renogy has some very curious recommendations. That float it is off the charts for this type of battery. Quite frankly, I would start with Ampere Times suggested settings and tweak as needed until you locate the OV alarm trigger your'e suffering from. Attached is a STD Voltage state/% chart to reference. might help with your settings. Remember, this battery chemistry loves to be fully cycled, a lot of Micro charging with high floats are not a great idea IMO, shortens the battery life.
20221017_090429.jpg20221017_090413.jpg

Above are the parameters from Ampere Time. There are fewer than the options on the Rover, and they don't all match. Can somebody help me with what's missing: (again, I have two of these batteries in parallel for 12V x 200A)
Feel free to correct any of my transposed entries.

Rover 60:
Overvoltage threshold = 15V
Charging limit voltage = ??
Equalization voltage = ?? (does it matter since I set the Equalization time to 0?)
Boost charging voltage = 14.4V
Float charging voltage = ??
Boost charging recovery voltage = ??
Over-discharge recovery voltage = 12V
Under-voltage warning level = 11.6V
Low voltage disconnect = 10.8V
Low voltage disconnect delay =
?? (secs)
Equalization time = 0 (mins)
Boost time =
?? (mins)

Last edited:

CHARGING
Tail Current = 2a

DisCharging

Boost time = 120 min

It might be because I’m tired, but I’m not seeing anything which should be triggering the battery over voltage. Have you checked the battery input voltage vs what’s being reported by the controller it self?
View attachment 116759View attachment 116760

Above are the parameters from Ampere Time. There are fewer than the options on the Rover, and they don't all match. Can somebody help me with what's missing: (again, I have two of these batteries in parallel for 12V x 200A)
Feel free to correct any of my transposed entries.

Rover 60:
Overvoltage threshold = 15V
Charging limit voltage = ??
Equalization voltage = ?? (does it matter since I set the Equalization time to 0?)
Boost charging voltage = 14.4V
Float charging voltage = ??
Boost charging recovery voltage = ??
Over-discharge recovery voltage = 12V
Under-voltage warning level = 11.6V
Low voltage disconnect = 10.8V
Low voltage disconnect delay =
?? (secs)
Equalization time = 0 (mins)
Boost time =
?? (mins)
how weird I must have missed post I typed a reply last night, I am curious multi meter wise what the input to the controller states vs what the controler reports, curious know my renogy controller has been off some .1 to .2 after ran for a while balanced to about there. Was off 1.1 at first which was odd as heck.

I don’t see your high volt disconnect
I’ve got the rover 20 or 40 don’t remember but will check what’s your method currently to access settings and data? On the unit or you doing the app?

Sorry. I use an MPP PIP – 1012LV-MS All-in-One, lets see if we can help decipher this- lol

Charging limit voltage = ??- Mines 14.4V
Equalization voltage = ?? (does it matter since I set the Equalization time to 0?) Don't know why this would be open, given you shut it off.
Float charging voltage = ?? 13.6V seems to be the norm used.
Boost charging recovery voltage = ?? I have no idea, maybe the same as back to boost/bulk charge? 12.3V is what I am set at.
Low voltage disconnect delay = ?? (secs) No idea, other than what it states. Seconds delayed before disconnect? Why?
Boost time = ?? (mins) No Idea why this would even exist.

Sorry, not much help. I am sure there are a lot of Renogy Rover fans out there, maybe someone can jump in and help you.

It might be because I’m tired, but I’m not seeing anything which should be triggering the battery over voltage. Have you checked the battery input voltage vs what’s being reported by the controller it self?

how weird I must have missed post I typed a reply last night, I am curious multi meter wise what the input to the controller states vs what the controler reports, curious know my renogy controller has been off some .1 to .2 after ran for a while balanced to about there. Was off 1.1 at first which was odd as heck.

I don’t see your high volt disconnect
I’ve got the rover 20 or 40 don’t remember but will check what’s your method currently to access settings and data? On the unit or you doing the app?
Regarding input voltage, yes my voltmeter and Rover are usually in agreement with each other - fluctuating .1-.2 off at times, but that is it. I can access it via the panel or BluTooth, although my trailer is winterized for the rest of the season so I probably won't be playing with it for awhile. I may go back out this weekend if the weather is nice.

Sorry. I use an MPP PIP – 1012LV-MS All-in-One, lets see if we can help decipher this- lol

Charging limit voltage = ??- Mines 14.4V
Equalization voltage = ?? (does it matter since I set the Equalization time to 0?) Don't know why this would be open, given you shut it off.
Float charging voltage = ?? 13.6V seems to be the norm used.
Boost charging recovery voltage = ?? I have no idea, maybe the same as back to boost/bulk charge? 12.3V is what I am set at.
Low voltage disconnect delay = ?? (secs) No idea, other than what it states. Seconds delayed before disconnect? Why?
Boost time = ?? (mins) No Idea why this would even exist.

Sorry, not much help. I am sure there are a lot of Renogy Rover fans out there, maybe someone can jump in and help you.
I found another thread on this topic, and it here is what another guy is using with his Rover 40 + Amper Times...

Yes you should use the USR settings. The Rover LI settings are to aggressive for Lifepo4 Batteries.
Set to USR & set:
High Voltage Disconnect 14.5v
Charge Limit Voltage14.1v
Equalization Charge Voltage 14.0v
Boost Charge Voltage 14.0v
Float Charge Volt 13.6v
Boost Char Return Volt 13.3v
Over Disc Return Volt 11.0v
Low voltage Alarm 10.9v
Over Discharge Volt 10.5v
Discharge Limit Volt 10v
Over Disc Delay Time 5s
Equalization Charge Time 0 Min
Boost Time 10 Min
Equalize Charge Interval 185 (Note this value cannot be 0 because controller can get stuck in boost mode)
Temp Comp 0A

Unplug temp sensor from the Renogy-40 amp Solar Charge Controller. Leaving it plugged in can skew charging. It is used for Lead Acid batteries and not Lifepo4.

Back