diy solar

diy solar

Ampere Time 200ah Lithium??? Any reviews?

I expected delivery today, but they are stuck in Maumee, Ohio. UPS does not state why, just that I have to check back tomorrow for the new scheduled delivery date. I will keep you all posted when they arrive. My Growatt arrived Thursday, and I am configuring it now.

Once my Growatt 3000W inverter shows up Friday, one of my first tasks is to set up a provisional system, get the Growatt configured and test the AC charging, solar charging and naturally try to max out the inverter. That will need about 125A. I also have a 12V Giandel 2200W inverter that will push it close to 185A. If the BMS is actually 200A and it holds at 185A, I will be happy. I will be glad to post the results here if anyone is interested.

Also, when it comes to cycle life, I have four Lion Energy UT-1300's, and one of them is going to need replacing already after maybe 20 cycles, and not even a year old. Hit or miss with batteries. That is why I am trying out the low cost route. The expensive route already has a 25% failure rate for me.
Interesting Inverter. I should of started with that. GIANDEL 4000W Pure Sine Wave DC24V. 2400 Watt Richsolar. 4 Battle born 100A

Thanks for sharing

Here is a quick update on the load testing for the Ampere Time 200Ah Plus batteries. I did a load test and pushed my Growatt inverter to OVER 100% of its rating of 3000W. I held it at 3.04KW output from the batteries in series (24v). The load was held for 12 minutes, and I shut it down because it got too hot in the room for me. The thermostat showed 88 degrees after using an 1800W hair dryer and a 1500W heat gun. Both on high for 12 minutes makes a lot of heat in a small room. Anyway, 12 minutes at over 3000W and 147A load on my batteries. The cables didn't even get warm. I am happy with the batteries. I will connect them individually to a 12V inverter as well and test the load. It should be over 180A at 2200W. As of now, I am happy with these batteries and they will serve their intended use well with the Growatt.

If the CHINS batteries function just as good, I will be thrilled to have saved a lot of money.

Attachments

• IMG_4364.jpg
    IMG_4364.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_4366.jpg
    IMG_4366.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_4363.jpg
    IMG_4363.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_4365.jpg
    IMG_4365.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 26
I just received a text and email from UPS, the CHINS batteries are now scheduled for delivery tomorrow. Will keep you posted.

The CHINS batteries arrived, I posted a new thread with pics if anyone is interested in how it goes.

I might be confused, but in which scenario would 100A continuous power not be enough? After all, the trailer will have either a 30A or 50A shore power connection. lots of homes only have 100A service as well. I found this thread because I too am looking at this cheaper option for lithium batteries to the expensive battle born ones. Unless i'm missing something, I see nothing wrong with 200AH operating at 100A max.

The link above to the 200AH 200A BMS, its $1359 with $100 off, but 2 100AH 100A BMS batteries at $570 is cheaper than that even with the discount.

Edit: Ok, my mistake was thinking in AC, not DC. Although it may take up more room, it seems like 2 x 100AH 100A BMS, which if i'm understanding correctly would provide 200A continuous output, is the cheaper option.

Last edited:
I finished my final test with the Ampere Time 200Ah Plus batteries. It took a while as I was busy with the CHINS batteries that arrived before I could finish with these. So here it is. I have a 12V Giandel 2200W PSW inverter, and used it to put these batteries through a load test which would put it over 180A. I don't have anything that could put a 200A load on them.

To my surprise, the inverter does more than 2200W. I was able to get 189A current from each battery with the same load. So calculating it out, I was doing around 2270W on the Giandel. I was able to get it to trip when I added more load. But the Giandel holds approx. 2270W for prolonged periods of time, and the Ampere TIme batteries did the 189A with no problem. I held the load once again for 12 minutes each. So, it is just an assumption that they can actually do the 200A. You decide.

I hope this helps someone when deciding whether to buy them or not. My wife wants the room cleaned up and all of this stuff has to go. I can't wait till the weather breaks so I can use my workshop again. By the way, I have decided to purchase two more of these after the CHINS fiasco. Be safe!

Great work all around in your reviews.

I might point out that any inverter is not 100% efficient so if it’s putting out 2000w AC it might be using 2200w of DC (assuming approx. 90% efficiency).

Does anyone have the manuals for the Ampere Time 200ah (not plus version)?

I just ordered two to wire in parallel in my motorhome. Im trying to figure out what settings to use on my Victron MultiPlus 3000w

My 2 new Ampere Time 200Ah Plus batteries arrived today. They are unpacked, and both are on chargers. I will put them through the same paces as the last two and post anything negative it if occurs. I don't want to bore everyone with the same stuff all over again.

My 2 new Ampere Time 200Ah Plus batteries arrived today. They are unpacked, and both are on chargers. I will put them through the same paces as the last two and post anything negative it if occurs. I don't want to bore everyone with the same stuff all over again.
Not boring at all. Please share

Here are the results of battery #3. Fully charged with a PowerMaxx P3 45LK. Discharged with an East Tester ET5410 @ 31A. Starting battery voltage was 13.65V, test was set to automatically cut off @ 11V. Discharge test took 7 hrs. 13min. Battery capacity is 208.75Ah. Battery #4 was charged the same as #3, with a starting voltage of 13.67V. I will post the results when it is completed.

Attachments

• Battery 3.jpg
    Battery 3.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 8
Here are the results of battery #3. Fully charged with a PowerMaxx P3 45LK. Discharged with an East Tester ET5410 @ 31A. Starting battery voltage was 13.65V, test was set to automatically cut off @ 11V. Discharge test took 7 hrs. 13min. Battery capacity is 208.75Ah. Battery #4 was charged the same as #3, with a starting voltage of 13.67V. I will post the results when it is completed.
Cool.

Why are you automatically cutting these off? I thought you let the chins run until the bms shut them down?

I have a new load tester since the CHINS batteries. After I was done with 31A load, I swapped with my old load tester @ 15A to test the BMS. With my multimeter connected, it tripped at 10.7V. Ampere Time's specs are 10.8V. The battery is now charging again with the PowerMaxx charger. I didn't really want to post everything like I did with the first two batteries. I though that if anything went wrong, I would post that. Just don't want to repeat and bore everyone.

Also, I like to end my load tests with 11V and see what the capacity is. After 11V, the voltage drops so fast, it will not make a significant difference. My batteries surpassed their capacity with 11V, that makes me happy. I have read in many places that doing a complete 100% discharge will shorten the cycle life as opposed to an 80% discharge. So, 11V is my personal limit. Not 100%, but close. I have relays installed on all my builds with 100A to cut power at 11V. The relays are limited to 100A. I use the together with Thronwave's smart shunt. Unfortunately they will not work with these Ampere TIme batteries which are capable of 200A. But that is OK. No need, my Growatt will allow me to set all of these parameters anyway.

Back