diy solar

diy solar

Ampere Time 200ah Lithium??? Any reviews?

I have a new load tester since the CHINS batteries. After I was done with 31A load, I swapped with my old load tester @ 15A to test the BMS. With my multimeter connected, it tripped at 10.7V. Ampere Time's specs are 10.8V. The battery is now charging again with the PowerMaxx charger. I didn't really want to post everything like I did with the first two batteries. I though that if anything went wrong, I would post that. Just don't want to repeat and bore everyone.

Also, I like to end my load tests with 11V and see what the capacity is. After 11V, the voltage drops so fast, it will not make a significant difference. My batteries surpassed their capacity with 11V, that makes me happy. I have read in many places that doing a complete 100% discharge will shorten the cycle life as opposed to an 80% discharge. So, 11V is my personal limit. Not 100%, but close. I have relays installed on all my builds with 100A to cut power at 11V. The relays are limited to 100A. I use the together with Thronwave's smart shunt. Unfortunately they will not work with these Ampere TIme batteries which are capable of 200A. But that is OK. No need, my Growatt will allow me to set all of these parameters anyway.

Very cool, appreciate the tests, info and clarification.

Battery #4 capacity and low discharge cut off test completed. Capacity of 208.45Ah with voltage cut off @ 11V. Started load tester manually to trip BMS @ 10.8V low voltage. Ampere Time spec is for 10.8V. Battery #3 fully charged. Connected my bench power supply and continued charging till BMS tripped @ 15.1V with multimeter. Will test battery #4 over voltage disconnect in the morning.

All in all I am happy with the Ampere Time brand. They function as described. Ampere Time has rescinded the low temp charging cut off feature. I don’t need it for this application anyway.

Also, the Powermax P3 charger I recently purchased is really nice. I love the charging parameters. Thanks for the tip.

Attachments

• 3AD75348-93F4-4A59-A360-553133CE1E5B.jpeg
    3AD75348-93F4-4A59-A360-553133CE1E5B.jpeg
    106.2 KB · Views: 14
I have four of these, and now officially from Ampere Time, low temp. charging cut off is no longer a feature. That is from an email I got from Ampere Time. One of my batteries did trip on low temp, however it took a long time to reset itself (overnight). The day the batteries arrived, it was around 19 degrees, and I immediately tried charging them in my garage where there is no heat. One of my batteries probably has a functioning low temp cut off. The other one I bought in January did not trip. The two I just got more than likely do not have it either. I can’t test it now.

Last edited:
Here are the four Ampere Time Plus 200Ah batteries being prepped. They are fully charged and are now balancing for 24hrs in parallel. I will do a 2S2P 24V set up with my Growatt. My panels arrived and I will start building the ground mount system for the panels. It was fun testing and posting my results. I hope this was a help to someone. I posted a quick review in the Solar Panels category of my new panels if anyone is interested. https://diysolarforum.com/threads/longi-320w.19310/

Attachments

• Batteries.jpg
    Batteries.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
We have 4 Ampere Time 200 ah batteries on the way. After they were shipped I learned about the lack of low temp charge prevention.

I was wondering if a freezer thermostat might do the trick.

I've been thinking about getting a couple of these batteries. The low temp charge prevention is that for use in freezing temps? They are going to be stored/used in the basement and it never gets less than 55'F. That shouldn't be a problem??

Any thoughts on the Amptime 300 Ah?

Thank,
Bud

I am happy with mine. There was a member that had a bad run in with the 300Ah version. See the link below.

This thread has been very helpful! I have the 200ah Ampere Time that I plan on installing in a small travel trailer along with 400W of rooftop solar.

The lack of a low temp cutoff has been bothering me, but Will Prowse just posted a video review of the Overkill Solar BMS which may be a great solution. I just need to open up the battery first to be sure everything can be accessed easily for BMS replacement. Has anyone opened up one of these exact batteries yet?

Last edited:
If you get a Victron Energy SCC and VE battery sense, there is no need to rip your batteries apart.

I had considered this option, but I’m still a bit worried about the trailer converter charging the battery when plugged into shore power or a generator when temperatures drop below 0°C. Disabling the converter is an option I guess, but complicates things...

I have a new load tester since the CHINS batteries. After I was done with 31A load, I swapped with my old load tester @ 15A to test the BMS. With my multimeter connected, it tripped at 10.7V. Ampere Time's specs are 10.8V. The battery is now charging again with the PowerMaxx charger. I didn't really want to post everything like I did with the first two batteries. I though that if anything went wrong, I would post that. Just don't want to repeat and bore everyone.

Also, I like to end my load tests with 11V and see what the capacity is. After 11V, the voltage drops so fast, it will not make a significant difference. My batteries surpassed their capacity with 11V, that makes me happy. I have read in many places that doing a complete 100% discharge will shorten the cycle life as opposed to an 80% discharge. So, 11V is my personal limit. Not 100%, but close. I have relays installed on all my builds with 100A to cut power at 11V. The relays are limited to 100A. I use the together with Thronwave's smart shunt. Unfortunately they will not work with these Ampere TIme batteries which are capable of 200A. But that is OK. No need, my Growatt will allow me to set all of these parameters anyway.
Repro, thanks for all your testing. As a result I purchased one Ampere Time 200ah LiFePO4 battery (not the Plus). I ran a capacity test using AC from an inverter and it passed with flying colors. But when running DC test to determine if the BMS low voltage cutoff was working, mine did not shut off at 10v like yours did. I ran it down to 9.45v and then I ended the test in fear of ruining the battery. Do you think my BMS is bad? I kind of want to run it some more to see if the BMS ever cuts it off. How low do you think I can run it down to? Thanks.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210323-150656.png
    Screenshot_20210323-150656.png
    359.8 KB · Views: 15
Sorry for keeping this short. If I were you, I would contact Ampere Time immediately to cover yourself if there is an issue. Also, my experience with CHINS, they told me that their BMS should trip at 9.2V. I find that to be bad the the internal cells. I am sure that Ampere Time will resolve the issue by replacing the battery, or issuing a refund. Hope this helps.

service@amperetime.com

I had considered this option, but I’m still a bit worried about the trailer converter charging the battery when plugged into shore power or a generator when temperatures drop below 0°C. Disabling the converter is an option I guess, but complicates things...

If you're concerned about the affect of temperature on your battery, consider moving the battery inside the trailer or putting warming pads on the battery to keep it above 32° F.

If you're concerned about the affect of temperature on your battery, consider moving the battery inside the trailer or putting warming pads on the battery to keep it above 32° F.
The plan is to install the battery inside the trailer, however I still can’t help but worry about the battery temperature dropping below 0°C while the converter is charging it during cold weather.

A couple of days ago I made the decision to take the battery apart and verify that I could easily replace the BMS. After doing so it appears that is the case, so I ordered the Overkill 12V BMS from Amazon. I believe this will solve the low temperature charging issue, as well as provide a lot more data and control. Getting the case open took some serious work though! Fortunately I was able to open it up without causing any significant damage to the case. I’ll post an update after installing the new BMS.

Attachments

• D02E9094-117F-4D75-8D27-1AA620CE7D78.jpeg
    D02E9094-117F-4D75-8D27-1AA620CE7D78.jpeg
    69.6 KB · Views: 51
  • C6E80DA6-2DFD-4E01-8E06-4488D2B04CAB.jpeg
    C6E80DA6-2DFD-4E01-8E06-4488D2B04CAB.jpeg
    97.5 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
I was camping last October at -8° F. My batteries were in a forward corner compartment, located above the generator. This is a compartment that is in a closet off the bathroom. They were just fine. Subsequent to that outing, I installed battery warmers on my batteries. The warmers would not have been used during that camping trip, but they sure are doing a good job while the trailer is sitting in the storage lot.

I was camping last October at -8° F. My batteries were in a forward corner compartment, located above the generator. This is a compartment that is in a closet off the bathroom. They were just fine. Subsequent to that outing, I installed battery warmers on my batteries. The warmers would not have been used during that camping trip, but they sure are doing a good job while the trailer is sitting in the storage lot.
That’s a great solution. I thought about warmers, but the extra data and control of the Overkill BMS won me over.

Iam getting ready to buy my first lithium battery and I’m seeing a company called Ampere time is selling a 200ah lithium battery. I would love to go this route because it’s one battery and it’s much cheaper than buying two 100ah lithium’s.

12V 200Ah Lithium Iron LiFePO4 Deep Cycle Battery, Built-in 100A BMS, 4000+ Cycles, 280amp Max, Perfect for RV, Solar, Marine, Overland, Off-Grid, Estimated Delivery Time is 3-7 Working Days https://www.amazon.com/dp/B088RM4W48/

Any thoughts?
I purchased this battery for my trailer build and installed it a couple of weeks ago. I am charging with 4-100 watt mono solar panels and controlling with a 40 amp EREVER charge controller. In addition to a 12v power distribution fuse block, I am powering a GoWise 2000 watt pure sine inverter. Although I am very familiar with higher voltage industrial electrical systems in a manufacturing environment, this is my first solar installation and everything is operating according to design. I installed the solar panels series/parallel. I plan on operating a small 12v cooler, a fantastic fan, 8 ceiling mount recessed lights on a dimmer. I will also charge camera batteries, cellphone and some infrequent laptop/tablet use. I have an induction heater for coffee and a coffee grinder, but these only operate for a few minutes a day. I did an energy audit of all these loads and this 400 watt charging systems should be good to go. I am planning on adding a small (maybe 40 watt) thermostat controlled heating pad for my battery. I have overheat sensor and protection on that end, but this battery does not come with built-in cold environment protection. I highly recommend Will Prowse and his YouTube channel as a great resource: https://www.youtube.com/c/WillProwse/featured

Attachments

• 20210405_214150.jpg
    20210405_214150.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 30
  • Solar Schematic.jpg
    Solar Schematic.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 34
Purchased two of the 12v x 300Ah batteries (max 200a discharge); rec'd a week later, installed a few days after that, after prep. Working great in our 24v system for the home. Nothing in the house that can't be run (amp-wise).

In our case, no worries about low temp charging, as the utility shed is insulated & active heated, and ambient temp monitored.

No more FLA madness ...

Back