diy solar

diy solar

Ampere Time charger warning and gels

Substrate

Solar Addict
While tooling around Amazon, I took a peek at the Ampere Time AC chargers and their specs.

Their 10 and 20 amp charger are mostly targeted to nominal 12v / 4S LifeP04 owners, yet at the same time, a selling point is that they are:
  • Compatibility: Support Charging Multi-Chemistry Battery Types (Lithium, Flooded, Gel, AGM, etc).
Not so for GEL !!

Once again the myth persists about not knowing the difference between AGM and Gel CV voltages. These chargers have a CV of about 14.6v, which is too high for Gel, which should be no more than 14.1v.

I mentioned in other threads how this decades long myth persisted so much that even some battery manufacturers have bent to the will of the consumer to make them happy and equate Gel and AGM together.

Will it charge a Gel? Oh sure it will. Is it healthy to do so? No.

I point this out because for most of the population Gel is not in use, but AGM is. However, there *are* some solar users who may be doing so transitioning from gel to lfp, or simply have access to other systems that are.

My recommendation is to NOT USE the Ampere Time or any other charger manufacturer that takes Gel this high in CV.

Back