diy solar

diy solar

Ampere Time LiFePO4 battery coupon sale at Amazon

Have had two of their 12v x 300ah batteries, in 24v battery bank, for almost 9 months now ... drives the whole house, up to 200a discharge, etc. Magnum 4024 inverter/charger ...

Excellent USA presence for shipping and service ... in the first month, one gave some grief with a faulty bms; never died outright, just a bit of pain to wake the bms back up at times, while their tech support and I exchanged troubleshooting emails. They paid to swap it out ... sent me a prepaid shipping label (I saved the really nice packing materials te batteries came in) ... when UPS showed it as picked up for shipping, they sent the replacement.

Both have been running fine ever since, at one cycle per day ...

Will probably buy two more for parallel setup, when I sort out the busbars and wiring for that ...

A-T is a great company, and really impressive batteries ... up to 400ah now, with 250a discharge!

Note that their batteries are sealed abs, and bms has no built-in monitoring capabilities (this is the case on my 300ah models). also no freezing/charge protection, but I sleep with mine (heated shed), so that wasn't a problem for us.

also no freezing/charge protection,
which is not as big of a problem as many claim to be.

Really depends where you live and how long it gets cold in your neck of the woods. Modern lithium battery electrolytes don't freeze at 0 Celsius, they slowly start building the process around -5 -10C and even at that temperatures you can still charge - just should keep the current low.

My opinion is that low temp protection should be a feature of the charger - and not the battery. Every high end lead charger has a temperature probe you stick on the battery for temperature compensation. Wonder why the LFP chargers don't use that simple tech yet.

I got a 24V 100AH Amperetime - works perfectly fine. Starts even my 13500 BTU A/C unit of my RV.

Got the BMS once to shut down - and it took like 10 minutes to self reset. But that's noted in the manual.

I disagree the cells are the only thing that can state what temperature they are at no Inverters don't know this.
My powerhouse is heated to 10C. Stack of batteries at the bottom can be 10C and at the top of the stack of packs could be 15C.
The amount of charge accepted is also relative to temps which is clearly observable.
Charging below 0C Temp can ONLY be fractional charge and depending on specific chemistry (manufacturers blend) possibly not at all.

LEAD the Temp Sensing is for Voltage Compensation, that's all. 1 Temp Sense ok for ONE Battery but each battery needs to be senses so if you have 2,4,8 in parallel each would need sense, each would be reliant on the others and if one goes they all go.

Charging below 0C Temp can ONLY be fractional charge and depending on specific chemistry (manufacturers blend) possibly not at all.
I agree with that.
Best would be that the BMS would have a internal temperature sensor and the charger communicated with the battery.

I really don't like the hard cut of a 0C - that's really only a crutch. Just disconnecting the battery when it hits 0C? I don't like sitting in the dark when it's cold :p You can still discharge LFP - but when you solar charger decides to charge in the early morning a little bit - the BMS disconnects you completely - not only for charging but also for discharging.

Chargers could have a ramp 0.01C when -10C 0.05C when -5C and 0.1C when at 0C etc.

Currently it's no charge at 0 celcius and Full blast at 1 Celsius do you think this is a good solution?

Depends on Inverter System and whether or not it can interact with the BMS's (read plural) and yes several can but NOT Value or Tier-2 product. Example, Victron with Victron Battery banks can do so... Several can throttle charge rate relative to temps with smart management. Totally a different game than with batteries like AmperTime batteries. Telecom Battery Assemblies typically have such functionality as well but again, quite a different grade / tier of gear. Temps are always considered here, it can & does reach -40C Temps in my neighbourhood.

Depends on Inverter System and whether or not it can interact with the BMS's (read plural) and yes several can but NOT Value or Tier-2 product. Example, Victron with Victron Battery banks can do so... Several can throttle charge rate relative to temps with smart management. Totally a different game than with batteries like AmperTime batteries. Telecom Battery Assemblies typically have such functionality as well but again, quite a different grade / tier of gear. Temps are always considered here, it can & does reach -40C Temps in my neighbourhood.
That's why I suggested the external sensor for value batteries.

I agree with low temp charging protection. But not how it's implemented in mid grade batteries. Which is a 0 Celsius off switch. There is no water in electrolytes. No good reason to pick that value.

This is turning into a very productive discussion, thanks guys. This is a travel trailer installation. I'll be using a Victron Mulitplus inverter/charger and a Victron SmartSolar MPPT controller. Both can communicate with the Victron Smart Battery Sensor and act accordingly. I'm confident things will be safe between that and the fact that it doesn't freeze where I live and I avoid those areas on the road.

I'm looking hard at these batteries myself. I have an off grid cabin with same Magnum 4024 inverter as 50 shades. I have a Midnite Solar Classic 150 charge controller. The cabin is unoccupied most of the time. I have a small propane heater, but there is always a chance that the pilot goes out and temp drops. Midnite says they are working on a firmware update that should have a low temp charge cutoff which would be ideal.

Coupon special did disappear though now...

Got a pair of 12v200 amp hour AT packs. Worked great. Got 2 more. Still waiting for my big Battery refund.

This is turning into a very productive discussion, thanks guys. This is a travel trailer installation. I'll be using a Victron Mulitplus inverter/charger and a Victron SmartSolar MPPT controller. Both can communicate with the Victron Smart Battery Sensor and act accordingly. I'm confident things will be safe between that and the fact that it doesn't freeze where I live and I avoid those areas on the road.

I need to make a correction. When not using Victron smart batteries (Ampere Time in my case) the SmartSolar MPPT controller can communicate with Smart Battery Sensor and can utilize a low temp charge cutoff. The Multiplus uses a simple temp sensor for high temp cutoff and charge profile moderation. You need to add the assistant “Two-Signal BMS Support” and configure it, and the rest of the VEConfigure3 settings, as required using the a spare I/O port and a second temp sensor for a low temp charge cutoff.

Last edited:
A good possibility to order more at once for a lower price due to the discount. Everyone loves discounts and I am not an exception as well. During the reparations of the house the workers asked for a huge sum for materials, but I said that I will buy them on my own, using the way of discounts and coupons from DontPayFull for different online stores. It will save about 10k$ at the end, or even more, depending on how many more materials I will have to buy, but I hope that it will enough.

Last edited:
Back