diy solar

diy solar

Ampertime 50ah battery, is it bad to use all 50ah? Does my Renogy DCC30s have LVD?

Ingmire

Hello

I’m using a renogy DCC30s mppt dc to dc charge controller in conjunction with a 50ah lithium ampertime battery. I’ve been on a road trip the past month and everything has been great until I stopped driving for a few days. With the short days I don’t believe (when parked) I’m bringing in enough solar energy to keep my battery charged. I’m monitoring with an Ali shunt.

I woke up and monitor read %10 yesterday. I’m now wondering if the DCC30s has LVD built in? And or if the ampertimes BMS will protect the battery if voltage gets to low?

I did clean my solar panels today, they were very dirty and I’m parked next to a tree that blocks sun at about 1:30pm ->. So I’m not convinced just yet that I need to add more batt or more solar.

I don’t have an inverter and am running strictly 12v.

THANKS for your input

BMS is considered the last line of defense, it should have its own low voltage cutoff (may require manual step to reset if it trips)... An inverter may have the ability to set a custom low voltage cutoff level too (which you don't have, was just saying).

Or companies like Victron make battery disconnect devices you can install if your loads are all 12v and have no other means to disconnect, you can set those to be a little higher than what the BMS would cutoff at if you added one.

Back