diy solar

diy solar

Ampre Time configuration question

bobwilcox

So I plan to move to an Ampre Time 48v system. The amazon cost for 4 x 12v 100ah is $2000, but the single 1 x 48 100ah battery is $2500. Why would I want to go with the single battery, with more cost? Is there something I'm missing?

I'm not familiar with the particular battery you are looking to get, however, I do know that some 12v lifepo4 batteries are not able to be configured in series due to their internal bms. If the battery you are looking at is able to run in series then I can't think of any reason, other than simplicity, to go the more expensive route.

yes, they can be placed in series. I thought that it should be cheaper, to have 1 BMS instead of 4, evidently there is something else i'm not seeing. One of Will's Ampre Time videos:

Yeah, I think you're right. Unless someone has a good reason to go with the single....Thanks!

Well... assuming you have a 48v inverter connected, if you lose (1) 12v battery in a string of 4, you're still SOL. In Amphere's case, you may need to confirm that the 12v batteries can be connected in series (not all can)

EDIT: Just read above that you said they can be placed in series. So scratch that factor ;-)

Only other thought is that you can save a bit in cables by using 1 battery vs 4

Back