diy solar

diy solar

Amps??

Do you mean, how large an ampdraw will that battery support? Likely it depends on the bms, but I would expect 250 to 200A load...

If they are 280 AH cells, and you get full capacity, there will be 280 AH at 48V.

Are you asking about how many amps you can draw .... or the AH capacity of the battery?

Capacity would be 280 amps for an hour .... 140 amps for 2 hours ... etc

The current rating for charge and load will depend on the battery specs.

Do you mean, how large an ampdraw will that battery support? Likely it depends on the bms, but I would expect 250 to 200A load...
Okay thanks. So me having a overkill 100amp BMS means it wont draw over 100amp.

Okay thanks. So me having a overkill 100amp BMS means it wont draw over 100amp.
It means that if you try to draw more than the BMS can handle, the BMS will disconnect the load. That would be 100 Amps give or take with that BMS.

Analogy: Amps are like how fast you drive your car. It can go up and down as you go. Amp hours are more like how far you can drive in your car on a full tank of gas, knowing that you will go different speeds at different times. The analogy breaks down quickly if you get into the details, but it's a start.

Analogy: Amps are like how fast you drive your car. It can go up and down as you go. Amp hours are more like how far you can drive in your car on a full tank of gas, knowing that you will go different speeds at different times. The analogy breaks down quickly if you get into the details, but it's a start.
Okay thanks alot. Makes better sense to me now. I didn't know for sure wire size because I knew it was 280ah but didn't know if I should consider it 200ampish or 300amp. The h through me off. I know that h means storage.

I know that h means storage
The h means hours. Ah is amp-hours which is a measurement of capacity.

The 280Ah capacity of your battery has no meaning when it comes to what wire size you might need. The wire size is based on how much current (amps, not amp-hours) you need to support. In most cases that is dictated by the size of the inverter that will be connected to the battery since the inverter is normally the device that needs the most current. But the BMS you have might restrict that value.

You probably want #4 wire and a 125 amp fuse with that battery.
To be clear, is this based on the fact that the battery has a 100A BMS and 4AWG wire is appropriate for a 100A load?

To be clear, is this based on the fact that the battery has a 100A BMS and 4AWG wire is appropriate for a 100A load?
Yes. Could need more depending on length. Post a diagram with all components for best answers.

I will have 3 16s48v 280Ah battery packs going to a buss bar. I was planning on running 3 150 amp circuit breakers from buss bar to each inverter. In the near future I will be adding more battery packs and 2 more LV6548. I was planning on doing 4-0 welding wire for battery pack wires to buss bar and breaker and into LV6548. It will eventually end up powering 200amp breaker box. I'd rather buy what I need for finished product now than have to change wire size later. I don't want wire size to limit me later is what I mean.

Amps x Volts = Watts

Amps = Watts/Volts

H = hours

Realize that amps are 10x higher at 12v than at 120v. Most household wiring is 10
Gauge for a 30 amp circuit which can handle a 3600 watt load.

You need to calculate how many watts you will need including surge which is common with electric motors. From this you can calculate your 120v and 12v amps. There are tables for wire size based on this for distance.

The wire size between any single battery/bms and inverter will not change at scale.

Fuses and circuit breakers are nearly equivalent but have small differences.

You can kill your self and/or burn down your house with this.

Hiring someone with experience to connect your system together would be wise.

I completely understand the danger in these. I'm making this more confusing the more I ask questions I have everything from the inverter out handled with wire size and distance ran. Thank for the info and conversion.

Back