diy solar

diy solar

An Enphase Ensemble Installation

i purchased my Envoy used on CL or Ebay. I did call or email Enphase and they must have enabled it when they gave me the new login. I guess I got lucky. It was three years ago, so I forget the details.

Last edited:
So it seems my installer has to enable manager mode for me, and it is (or was at some point) a $249 one time fee to add it.
I didn't pay for it, possibly it's because I took the online Enphase classes and look like an installer? A call to tech support might fix it.

What error do you get when you enter the URL below (change siteID to your site's ID and get rid of the space after https):
https ://enlighten.enphaseenergy.com/systems/siteID/arrays/

The URL domain (i.e., enlighten.enphaseenergy.com) is the same for all three, what's different is the "New view" is /web, the "classic" view is "/pv", the "manager" view is "/systems". For example the classic view is https ://enlighten.enphaseenergy.com/pv/siteID

The manager view will let you traverse to the "dashboard" view (which is a different subdomain) or the "new view", the "new view" will let you go to the "classic" view or the manager view (click the 3 bars in the upper right and it's the top entry).

Last edited:
I was searching around with Google to see why I could not find the manager mode on Enlighten. I ended up finding this video.

I shows how the system installer has to set it up. Maybe this has changed. I would like to get to it, but it is not working on mine. If you can screen shot from Enlighten, how you get to the manager, I would certainly try it.

What error do you get when you enter the URL below (change siteID to your site's ID and get rid of the space after https):
https ://enlighten.enphaseenergy.com/systems/siteID/arrays/
It does not give an error, but it redirects and I get the same Enphase Enlighten page I always get.
MyEnlighten.PNG

Posted August's numbers in the OP.
Updated with September's numbers... nothing happening with the system...all seems to be running smoothly. I did see the pop-up for the videos, but as they were for the IQ2s I sort of glossed through them:

WARNING: Follow these steps to avoid failures; (1) When using IQ 8 Microinverters, power IQ Gateway in Combiner from breaker in System Controller. Watch this video. (2) De-energize System Controller when wiring the Rapid Shutdown switch. Watch this video.

No updates in a while:
IQ Gateway (Envoy): D7.3.75 (47f7da)
IQ System Controller (Enpower): 1.5.3748_rel/21.23
IQ Battery (Encharge): 2.0.4622_rel/21.23
Microinverters:
  • 540-00142-r01-v04.28.03 -
  • 520-00095-r01-v04.28.07 - Tue Sep 14, 2021 09:45 AM EDT
    Profile Set (IEEE 1547:2015-WHB)

Heads up..
ver D7.3.76.220818 (8888e6) for the Gateway was released a little over a month ago. Also, ver 1.5.4604_rel/21.23 for the System Controller.

Posted the October results in the OP. The Microinverters stayed at the same rev level, but the other components have updated. Pretty sure the update has changed the battery API as the monitoring log is missing the battery data but possibly a communication issue. I'll reboot the system tonight and look tomorrow.

IQ Gateway (Envoy): D7.3.121
IQ System Controller (Enpower): 1.5.4813_rel/22.95
IQ Battery (Encharge): 2.0.5441_rel/22.10
Microinverters:
  • 540-00142-r01-v04.28.03
  • 520-00095-r01-v04.28.07
    Profile Set (IEEE 1547:2015-WHB)

My iQ7 microinverters are still at
520-00082-r01-v04.27.04
Updated 09/03/2021 8:37 AM

I have the grid profile back at
Profile Set (CA Rule21 201902 VV VW FW)
Which SHOULD work with frequency shift power curtailment.

My Envoy software version seems really old
D5.0.62 (5e57a9) installed June 2, 2021

I don't have Ensemble, so if the updates are just to support those extra functions, I am not worried. But it seems they have been dealing with other non Ensemble issues. Those "fixes" should also go into us other iQ installs.

My iQ7 microinverters are still at v04.27.04....My Envoy software version ... D5.0.62 ...
It depends on if you're using your own tools to monitor the system. You need to stay somewhat up-to-date lest the API stop working properly with their tools. I use both. The biggest annoyance with the 7.x.x Envoy API is the new security as it requires a remote token. It's not hard to get the token (I've blogged about it in the last few pages of this thread and provided code work-arounds so I won't go into it here), but I still don't see why a system hidden behind a firewall and only accessible from the local network needs such tight security.

Given you haven't been updated there's something wrong (possibly too far out of date). Call Enphase and explain you're out of date and would like the updates pushed to your system. Last time I did that they told me to talk to my installer and I told them it was a software and not a hardware issue, and that they were able to schedule a software push last time I had this problem. If you're not updated after 24 hours call back promptly so they can get the error code in the event logs before it scrolls off.

There were some changes to the API request: https://envoy.local/ivp/ensemble/inventory since I last check in 2020:

AddedRemoved
  • "zigbee_dongle_fw_version": "100B"
  • "bmu_fw_version": ""
  • "real_power_w":

I'm surprised the real_power_w is gone, see also post #108 for earlier reports.

By itself, it shouldn't have been a problem. But there was a bug in parsing the JSON for empty strings that tripped up on the bmu_fw_version value.

The Enpower element also now has the element "zigbee_dongle_fw_version" attribute.

The thread's gotten a bit long so figured it was time to build an index for some of the important issues... if I missed anything major please let me know. I'll also put it in the OP.

Last edited:
Still a few weeks to go, but setting the batteries down to 60% SoC for the non-hurricane season.

It'll be interesting to see if the last upgrades fixed the annoying "Savings Mode" problem where the Envoy doesn't get the true battery SoC. Without getting the true reading over time the battery drains to 10% (although the Envoy thinks it's at set the value). It can be tested by putting them into self-consumption mode for a day with a 10% reserve (if they don't have a sudden drop from their imagined state to their true state then it's fixed). so I'll try that before Christmas (takes a few weeks for a noticeable drift).

Currently, the workaround is putting the batteries into full backup mode for a couple of days once a month. That also lets the BMS top-balance them.

Assuming no more hurricanes and switching the SoC was enough to generate a new storm, which should arrive on Thursday. Looks like a near miss for us, but you never know.

Grrr... Went into the kitchen to get a glass of water and out the window I see a truck from the power company. So I go down to ask what he's up to...

They're replacing my meter, supposedly the LEDs fade from sunlight (mine's on the north side so that wouldn't happen). The new one is a different brand, so looks like I get to play with the SDR dongle some more. The new one is an Aclara, at the top it says Verizon Grid Wide, so possibly not RF anymore.

...The new bidirectional power meter is a I-210+c Aclara...

Apparently it's a Silver Springs based meter. On 12/18 bemasher wrote:
Silver Spring Networks NICs have their own proprietary protocol which I've not had any experience with. Unfortunately these are not supported by rtlamr. The protocol uses either FSK or GFSK.

and here:
Silver Springs-based meter transceivers are likely never going to be supported.

So, rtlamr is probably not going to work for this. From their web description it supports a variety of interfaces, including RF:
The I-210 family allows for the interchangeability of AMR/AMI modules and covers the broadest range of possible AMI communication technologies including RF mesh, cellular, power line and Ethernet.
bemasher provided a link to the FCC ID, but it was dead. I tried looking NKR-CB1GI21M2 up on the FCC site as a 3 & 5 letter grantee code, but no hits? Getting the bad feeling that all it really supports is cellular.

Update: Found it, apparently the dash is important... so 782 to 784.5 MHz using LTE modulation.

Last edited:
Sniffing the 782 to 784.5 MHz bands I didn't see any data, possibly it only phones home at given times or needs a signal to start the broadcast?

From the UMC-I21M2 User Manual, looks like the meter supports zigbee and here's a link to the FCC test report for that FCC ID/frequency.
Great, more zigbee communication right next to my already barely functional IQ Battery zigbee signals.
Now... where did I put my Zigbee sniffer?

Last edited:
Back