diy solar

diy solar

An issue in balancing LifePO4 battery cells' top and bottom

But this is not normal, right? Only one cell at 3.65V and all the other cells are way below that volt. That's why I'm trying to balance at 3.30V before charging again targeting 3.65V for all cells. What settings should I need to change to get there?
Logically I understand what you want with the low balance voltage… however, the cells hold WAY too much energy for the tiny resistor in the BMS to work below the knee. It has to be above 3.35-3.45V to work properly.

For now, we need to know WHY the BMS is allowing any chargeing after any cell hits 3.60V… there should be no way for charging to continue and any cell to reach 3.61, much less 4.2V! Please take pictures of the entire build, wiring, and a screenshot of the parameter view… also, pull up he parameter settings screen.

RCinFLA mentioned to leave charge & discharge enabled. Could this be an issue that has unintended consequences leading to the bms going stupid(Laymans term) and not balancing/protecting? The way most of us control energy in & out of a battery is not with bms. The only time I’ve used the the bms control is to disable discharge if I’m going to work on cable or fuse and the inverter is already off so I lessen the chance of fireworks. 4.25 is crazy. What’s wild to watch is how fast and little current it takes once a cell hit 3.6 volts to shoot beyond with poor regulation.

RCinFLA mentioned to leave charge & discharge enabled. Could this be an issue that has unintended consequences leading to the bms going stupid(Laymans term) and not balancing/protecting? The way most of us control energy in & out of a battery is not with bms. The only time I’ve used the the bms control is to disable discharge if I’m going to work on cable or fuse and the inverter is already off so I lessen the chance of fireworks. 4.25 is crazy. What’s wild to watch is how fast and little current it takes once a cell hit 3.6 volts to shoot beyond with poor regulation.
It is possible but would take a special condition.

The gate drive that turns on and off the MOSFET's is a very large value resistor. The MOSFET control gates have a large amount of capacitance. This makes the switching on and off the MOSFET's pretty slow.

The way the disable charge or discharge works is described in the above diagram by turning off one of the back-to-back MOSFET sets. As mentioned, to prevent overheating the switched off MOSFET body diode when passed current is high, the BMS overrides the disable setting and turns MOSFET back on when passed current gets above a few amps.

When this over-ride happens the BMS is in bi-directional mode again although current flow direction is monitored by BMS to re-disable the MOSFET if current level drops below a few amps or reverses direction. The re-disabling is slow due to the MOSFET low drive control speed.

If inverter/charger or PV charge controller and inverter, due to varying inverter AC loading, results in a rapid change, back and forth current flow on battery/BMS between charging and discharging of battery, when charging is disabled in BMS, the slow MOSFET enable/disable time can cause an oscillation. There will also be a momentary charge current flow during the slow MOSFET switching time turn-off of the over-ride function, when charging is disabled.

If the current hovers in this area, it could overcharge an overvoltage cell due to the repeated momentary charge current leak through every time the blocking MOSFET is turned off again. Hopefully the BMS firmware would be smart enough to monitor for cell overvoltage even though it has charge disabled. The fact that it allows a cell to exceed overvoltage protection trip point says otherwise.

I think the firmware figures if charging is disabled there is no way a cell can go overvoltage so why bother checking it. They did not count on a small glitch that allowed a small momentary charge current spurt to happen.

This is why I recommend only using the disable functions for testing purposes and not use them for regular operation.

Last edited:
“ It is possible but would take a special condition.”

So do you play chess? Because you seem to able to think more than a few moves ahead.

Logically I understand what you want with the low balance voltage… however, the cells hold WAY too much energy for the tiny resistor in the BMS to work below the knee. It has to be above 3.35-3.45V to work properly.

For now, we need to know WHY the BMS is allowing any chargeing after any cell hits 3.60V… there should be no way for charging to continue and any cell to reach 3.61, much less 4.2V! Please take pictures of the entire build, wiring, and a screenshot of the parameter view… also, pull up he parameter settings screen.
We disassembled all the cells and parallelly connected them to balanced. All the battery cells charged dropped to 3.35V after 4-5 days

Now I want to charge these parallel connected cells to 3.65V. Can I use a 6V/10A lead acid battery charger to charge this set of cells? Will it damage the cells? What is the recommended method to charge parallel connected cells to 3.65V to top balance?

We disassembled all the cells and parallelly connected them to balanced. All the battery cells charged dropped to 3.35V after 4-5 days

Now I want to charge these parallel connected cells to 3.65V. Can I use a 6V/10A lead acid battery charger to charge this set of cells? Will it damage the cells? What is the recommended method to charge parallel connected cells to 3.65V to top balance?
It would be VERY unwise to do it…

You need a regulated power supply with a max voltage setting of 3.65V

The issue with using a charger higher than 3.65 V is this…

The cells take a HUGE amount of energy to reach 3.4V… it can take several hours to go from 3.2 to 3.4V
But it can go from 3.4 to 3.8 in SECONDS if the charging voltage is high…
How do we check the regulated voltage coming from the battery charger? Can I check with a multi-meter?

How do we check the regulated voltage coming from the battery charger? Can I check with a multi-meter?
one common way is to start with battery disconnected. turn on power supply. adjust it to 3.65V or less. check with multimeter that voltage matches on both. usually at that point the voltage setting is good.

⚠️trouble can be met when adjusting voltage after battery has been connected, because it's possible to choose too high a voltage, but instead you see the battery voltage at first until the charge catches up and it shoots through the roof. (lesson: adjust voltage before connecting battery, and do not touch voltage knob after connecting battery)

When you are top balancing, as the voltage nears 3.65 vpc you will notice the current start to drop. This is normal, don’t change the pe set voltage to try to speed it up. Unless you are sitting there watching and not falling asleep you wouldn’t be able to catch it before you have a voltage runaway and over shoot the maximum safe voltage. On some cheap bench top power supplies, the current falls back early, it’s just going to take longer. Depending on the state of charge and amps, it can take days. Your 16 100ah grade B cells may be the maximum a 10 amp power supply can handle (reasonable time). If it takes too long and you are holding cells at a high state of charge during the balancing is not good either. You could add more power supplies in parallel.

Back