diy solar

diy solar

Analysis Paralysis: Renogy vs KiloVault vs BB

Rumline

Edit: I'm sorry, I thought I posted this in the "Plug-and-Play" battery forum.

I'm trying to replace my RV's AGM 8D house battery with as much lithium as I can. The only practical location for my batteries is the current battery bay which is shared with the AGM chassis batteries. The bay is vented by a 3" hole to just outside the chassis rails. In other words: dust will get in, water no. I live and camp mostly in Colorado, including the winter, so I need heated batteries. The space I have to work with is not as large as I'd like. I can fit in 4x 100AH (group 27 size) batteries, but not all mfg's sizes will work here. Or there are some 300AH options from KiloVault, Relion, etc that will fit.

I'm leaning towards the KiloVault because I like that the low voltage disconnect seems actually usable. I've looked into what it would take to add one/some LVD devices and it's not going to happen. I have extensive native 12V systems with ~1.5A parasitic draw, so I can't rely on the inverter to do it for me, and I can't just let that ride. If you have any thoughts you could add to help me in my decision making I'd really appreciate it.

Here are some of the pros and cons as I see them:
  • Renogy 100 AH heated RBT100LFP12SH-US
    • $3200 for 4 after discount code
    • IP54 rated (decent dust and water resistance)
    • 4 will fit in my battery tray without modification
    • BMS low-voltage cutoff seems a little low (10V or 3.0V/cell) although many others are the same or worse
    • App for in-battery SoC monitoring etc (extra $ for Bluetooth dongle)
    • Renogy seems to be driven heavily by marketing and has had numerous documentation "anomalies" which makes me leery, however they've been around a while.
  • KiloVault 100 AH heated CHLX 1200
    • $4000 for 4 from AltEstore
    • Not sealed? In Will's tear-down video he said it is sealed but I haven't been able to find this in writing anywhere
    • 4 will just fit with minor mods to battery tray
    • BMS low-voltage cutoff seems actually useful (11.5V, no spec for cell low voltage disconnect)
    • App for in-battery SoC monitoring etc
  • BattleBorn 100 AH heated BB10012H
    • $4200 for 4
    • "Water resistant and Sealed"
    • 4 "should" fit, but will require me to build new battery tray
    • BMS low-voltage cutoff seems a little low (10V or 3.0V/cell) although many others are the same or worse
    • Heating system is kind of weird in that you have to turn it on/off with a switch, and it will keep the batteries warm all the time, not just for charging
    • BattleBorn also seems to be heavy into marketing and makes misleading statements in comparing to lead acid batteries, but they have a proven track record in the industry.

Last edited:
Back