diy solar

diy solar

Anderson Connector - Bulk Pack?

sshibly

Solar Enthusiast
Anderson connectors look to be popular, I have seen on the video reviews of popular all in ones and lithium batts with Anderson Connectors.

SB 50 and SB 120

Any one ever find bulk packs of these?

Last edited:
Until I found Amazon, Powerwerx was my go to place for genuine Anderson connectors. For larger Amperage connectors I still use Powerwerx. The lower quality of Amazon and EBay is cost effective up to 20 Amps.

For sale on Amazon and Ebay.

Multiple amp sizes and colors.
Until I found Amazon, Powerwerx was my go to place for genuine Anderson connectors. For larger Amperage connectors I still use Powerwerx. The lower quality of Amazon and EBay is cost effective up to 20 Amps.
Joe, I tried ebay, prices are cray cray
Amp, Powerwerx seems to have the best value.
I am getting my first batch with them.

What crimper should I get for the Anderson Connectors?

The biggest I will use now is SB 120

Thanks,

What crimper should I get for the Anderson Connectors?

The biggest I will use now is SB 120
I have been using a cheap hydraulic crimper. Don't remember if Harbor Freight or Amazon. $40 to $60. I have seen more expensive hex crimpers in some threads here.

I have been using a cheap hydraulic crimper. Don't remember if Harbor Freight or Amazon. $40 to $60. I have seen more expensive hex crimpers in some threads here.
I have one of those too, I though Anderson needed special unicorn square tooth crimpers??
Lol, if my Harborfreight one will work, then I am golden, thanks,

I have one of those too, I though Anderson needed special unicorn square tooth crimpers??
Lol, if my Harborfreight one will work, then I am golden, thanks,
I have a different crimper for 45 Amp and smaller connectors that are the split shell design.

No, I understood your question was about the SB50 and SB120.

That is what I have been referring to the whole time.
Sorry, I was thinking out loud,
Correct, Looks like the smaller ones 15 to 45 size needs to be crimped with the special square crimper
The larger ones can be soldered.
Crimping causes ears to form but if they are kept in the same plane as the front blade, they can be inserted without the help of your friend with large fingers :p

Ebay - I stand corrected, I found good deals on the LARGE SB 175 and I picked em up.
SB 50s were cheapest on powerwerx even with shipping.

Sorry, I was thinking out loud,
Correct, Looks like the smaller ones 15 to 45 size needs to be crimped with the special square crimper
The larger ones can be soldered.
Crimping causes ears to form but if they are kept in the same plane as the front blade, they can be inserted without the help of your friend with large fingers :p

Ebay - I stand corrected, I found good deals on the LARGE SB 175 and I picked em up.
SB 50s were cheapest on powerwerx even with shipping.

Yes, the proper crimper for 15-45 amps is just under $30 and well worth it imho.

I have always found the larger connectors cheaper on AMZN and Ebay but I have used Powerwerx stuff in the past.

You have to watch the quality from the other sources but Powerwerx always ships quality stuff in my experience.

A Point Un-Mentioned.

There are "Anderson Connectors" and "Anderson Style Connectors" and there can be significant differences ! Be Aware of this !
Many adverts are unclear... look for "Genuine Anderson Connectors".

A tip on Soldering. The majority of the connectors can be soldered or crimped, there are some specialty ones which cannot be soldered.

For large ones, like the 175's for example, you can use Propane Torch or MAPP Gas to heat the lugs up and melt the solder.
Clamp the lugs into a vice, pop the rosin-core slug into the hole, heat & melt, Stick the prepared wire in good & tight while continuing to apply heat for another moment or two to saturate.
* Prepared wire: stripped and pre-tinned if possible. The wire should be the correct gauge for the lug and be snug when dry fit into the barrel.

Important Note on Solder.
- Use a 60/40 Lead-Tin with Rosin Core. DO NOT use plumbing solder on anything electrical.
- a light "scuff" inside the barrel of the connector with a wire brush will help the bonding.

Joe,
Lower Amps - I am went with XT60 and XT90 connectors, I bought a bunch of both and they were cheap. Gotcha, trying to avoid more tools. I am tired of looking, I went ahead and ordered from Powerwerx,

Steve,
Anderson Style - well, the SB175 I bought says "Anderson Style" in the ad but in the desc it says ORIGINAL Anderson... and the pics show original Anderson ...
I will report back what they ship me, I am a bit nervous.

Thanks, I watched a few videos, of soldering the big azz Andersons,
Yes, I bought the right electrical solder 60/40

How do I figure out if the flux I bought is acidic?

Update:
1. SB-175 off ebay, 10 pack,

Steve, the items are marked as they original Anderson plugs, I will post a pic later today, the plastic is bit rather brittle, not having EVER handled a SB175 before I can't vouch if it is FAKE or the real deal.

2. XT90/60 off EBAY - wow, very poor, fake stuff, I could not take one apart after I connected it to test it bare.
The seller is offering $3 back vs the $14 I paid, what the fluke? I should I do?

3. Xt90/60 off amazon - AMASS brand - these are very nice and very well made and good value. I will get more of these.

4. SB50s off Powerwerx - I ordered a bunch and crickets for 1.5 weeks, finally I get a "We just shipped your order" ;-), wow, that is very slow, they should say that on their website.

SB50s off Powerwerx - I ordered a bunch and crickets for 1.5 weeks, finally I get a "We just shipped your order" ;-), wow, that is very slow, they should say that on their website.
Perhaps it was the holidays. Typically they have been fast for the eight years that I have been using them.

Update:
1. SB-175 off ebay, 10 pack,

Steve, the items are marked as they original Anderson plugs, I will post a pic later today, the plastic is bit rather brittle, not having EVER handled a SB175 before I can't vouch if it is FAKE or the real deal.

If the price seems too good to be true it probably isn’t genuine.

Here is some help:

And from the horses mouth just click on the “drawings” tab on this page:

If the price seems too good to be true it probably isn’t genuine.

Here is some help:

And from the horses mouth just click on the “drawings” tab on this page:

The price was not that far off regular, but it was a multiple 10 pack. Here are the pics, it does NOT match the drawings for SB175 from the link.
The length did match closely
I measured it with my caliper it came to 79.56 mm, oh yeah the apple was not part of the order.

Attachments

• and4.jpg
    and4.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 2
  • and3.jpg
    and3.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 1
  • and2.jpg
    and2.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 2
  • and1.jpg
    and1.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 2
*****FAKE*****************

I contacted anderson and emailed them the pics, the nice support person said:

THESE ARE FAKE, not a chance that they are the real deal.

SHEEEEEEET, what do I do now? Ebay - the land of fakers.

Back