diy solar

diy solar

anderson connectors ಠ_ಠ

starchy

i need to connect 4/0 wire to my battery bank but the sb175 anderson connectors that my batteries take only accomodates up to 0awg. i asked the company about this and they said: "So the cables would work with our systems. However they just need to have the 175 GREY CONNECTOR in order to fit with our battery. You can splice the right connector onto the end of the cable if you're able too."

ok. well, how do? my idea is to hack the connector and force it to accommodate these giant 4/0 lugs. it's almost there but would require some further melting. idk, anyone have experience with these things?PXL_20211111_195958100.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20211109_205735938.jpg
    PXL_20211109_205735938.jpg
    187.6 KB · Views: 77
  • PXL_20211109_202854448.jpg
    PXL_20211109_202854448.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 79
  • newdiagram9.png
    newdiagram9.png
    307.1 KB · Views: 75
Some options?

1. Eliminate the Anderson connector in the battery bank (straight run, no connector).

2. Increase the size of the Anderson connector in the battery bank to match the size of the Anderson connector lug/holder you want to run.

3. Get a copper bus bar/block to attach the 4/0 cable to, then run a smaller short run from bus bar (having Anderson 175 connector on other end) to go to the battery bank.

4. Remove some of the copper strands from the 4/0 so it fits into the Anderson 175 lug (it's only rated at 175a anyways).

Just some ideas. I'm not really so much into hacking up the holder/housing...

Some options?

1. Eliminate the Anderson connector in the battery bank (straight run, no connector).

2. Increase the size of the Anderson connector in the battery bank to match the size of the Anderson connector lug/holder you want to run.

3. Get a copper bus bar/block to attach the 4/0 cable to, then run a smaller short run from bus bar (having Anderson 175 connector on other end) to go to the battery bank.

4. Remove some of the copper strands from the 4/0 so it fits into the Anderson 175 lug (it's only rated at 175a anyways).

Just some ideas. I'm not really so much into hacking up the holder/housing...
option 3: oh yeah? that wouldn't cause some bottleneck issue?

option 3: oh yeah? that wouldn't cause some bottleneck issue?

The connector at 175a is already the bottleneck. The larger gauge is more for the long distance run part of voltage drop. For a short run a smaller size may be fine. Do you know what max amps flow will be required on the circuit?

Reduce the number of wires of the large cable to fit the connector, crimp the end of the larger wire at the transition so all the cut ends make a firm contact.. Heat shrink to be as pretty as possible.

Unpopular observation: consider why you think you "need" 4/0 cable.

Many of the pictures of battery/inverter systems I see online seem to have way too thick wire for their application. One clue: if the wire is too thick for the connection provided by the equipment manufacturer, you may be overdoing it.

Use the 0 gauge on the 175 connector. Stop the modification of the connector.

Need to connect the multiple battery connection to a bus and continue to the inverter with 4/0 from there.

i need to connect 4/0 wire to my battery bank but the sb175 anderson connectors that my batteries take only accomodates up to 0awg. i asked the company about this and they said: "So the cables would work with our systems. However they just need to have the 175 GREY CONNECTOR in order to fit with our battery. You can splice the right connector onto the end of the cable if you're able too."

ok. well, how do? my idea is to hack the connector and force it to accommodate these giant 4/0 lugs. it's almost there but would require some further melting. idk, anyone have experience with these things?View attachment 72016
Use the 350 amp connectors, and be sure to replace the wire in the battery with 4/0 as well. Otherwise use the 175 connector with the same gauge wire, since that is likely what it is fused for and the BMS is rated for. Trying to fit a size 12 foot into a size 6 shoe is a bad idea.

I am in the same boat as OP, but can someone help me understand why the sb175 connector is rated at 175a if the largest gauge wire it can accept (1/0) is only rated at 150a?

Can I safely run 1/0 from the battery to a busbar at a very short distance while pulling 175a continuous? And if so what wire size should I run to the inverter from there?

can someone help me understand why the sb175 connector is rated at 175a if the largest gauge wire it can accept (1/0) is only rated at 150a?
Perhaps because in some circumstances 1/0 could handle more current? Or perhaps for a margin of safety?

Perhaps because in some circumstances 1/0 could handle more current? Or perhaps for a margin of safety?
My use case would limit me to like 5 minutes max of 175a draw. I feel like 1/0 should be fine if it's a short length, but I want to do it right.

i think i ended up using 2awg from one battery to another via busbar or whatever the max guage for the anderson connectors ended up being and then ran the 4/0 from said busbars to the distributor

Attachments

• PXL_20220319_021146243.jpg
    PXL_20220319_021146243.jpg
    284.7 KB · Views: 33
That connector pin is for SB350. It is the only model that takes 4/0 cable.

Each of the SB sizes from SB50 to SB350 have maximum allowed cable gauge. You also have to purchase the right wire gauge silver plated terminal connector for the particular SB plastic holder.

I use SB350's with 2/0 cable for my system. There is actually a loosely followed color code for plastic for battery voltage. It was established for forklift industry to keep wrong voltage batteries from being put in a given model forklift. The different color plastic interlock center key slot prevents plugging together two different colors.

SB 350 takes connector pins for 300mcm, 4/0, 3/0, 2/0, and 1/0

Attachments

• Anderson sb350.pdf
    888.2 KB · Views: 12
  • Anderson SB Color convention.pdf
    796.4 KB · Views: 8
I am in the same boat as OP, but can someone help me understand why the sb175 connector is rated at 175a if the largest gauge wire it can accept (1/0) is only rated at 150a?

Can I safely run 1/0 from the battery to a busbar at a very short distance while pulling 175a continuous? And if so what wire size should I run to the inverter from there?
My chart says the ampacity is closer to 250 amps using 1/0 with 105C insulation. Voltage drop is a different issue.

i think i ended up using 2awg from one battery to another via busbar or whatever the max guage for the anderson connectors ended up being and then ran the 4/0 from said busbars to the distributor
Thanks for the reply. I see you went with the SB350 connectors. Nice choice.

Back