diy solar

diy solar

ANL fuse from battery to inverter

Derka181

I have a 24v offgrid system and I want to add a fuse between the battery and the 3000w inverter. I use 4/0 wire. Most people cut the wire and introduce the ANL fuse in the middle of the wire. Shouldn’t it be ok to just add the ANL fuse at the end of the wire and connect the ANL to inverter? Or is this a bad idea? If so… why.

First, An ANL is not generally considered to have a high enough AIC rating for LiFePO4 batteries. Most people say a T-class is needed. I suspect you could get away with an MRBF on a single battery but need Class T if you put more than one in parallel.

2nd, you want the fuse as close to the power source as possible. If the fuse is at the inverter, it will not prevent a fire if there is a short between the fuse and the battery.

First, An ANL is not generally considered to have a high enough AIC rating for LiFePO4 batteries. Most people say a T-class is needed. I suspect you could get away with an MRBF on a single battery but need Class T if you put more than one in parallel.

2nd, you want the fuse as close to the power source as possible. If the fuse is at the inverter, it will not prevent a fire if there is a short between the fuse and the battery.
Makes sense . I have a t class fuse but it’s too big for my system. 300a

Back