diy solar

diy solar

Another 48v system in the works

Boondock Saint

Solar Enthusiast
Reluctantly crouched, on the starting line . . .

After all this time and with some excellent assistance from some folks here on the forum, I arrived on a solid 48v system design. My parts will all be staged internal and in very close proximity to batteries and other parts, very short cable runs.

My system will be very similar to that of Cinergi, just don't need two of the Quatro's. The schematic and parts list is also very similar. There's still things I need to get to build my 2P/16S compression box, plus busbars and cables etc etc.

Besides the 32 cells I ordered, this was the next invoice as a lump $. I'm still contemplating 2 active balancers and maybe 5 of the solar panel optimizers.

If I can find a high enough voltage DC-DC charger for alternator charging then I'll buy it and another SCC so that Victron can manage all SOC on batteries equally.

I'm also upgrading my RV to 50A with a new 6/4 cord and electric reel.

Victron Quattro Inverter/Charger 48/5000/70-100/100 120V 1
Victron Cerbo GX qty = 1
Victron GX Touch 50 qty = 1
Orion BMS JR 2 CAN-Enabled Kit qty = 1
Victron SmartSolar MPPT 150/35 qty = 1
Victron SmartSolar MPPT 250/60-Tr qty = 1
Victron Fuse Holder for MEGA-fuse qty = 2
MEGA-fuse 200A/58V for 48V products (1 pc) qty = 1
Victron MEGA-fuse 250A/58V for 48V products (1 pc) qty = 1
Victron Battery Switch On/Off 275A qty = 2
Victron Orion-Tr 48/12-30A (360W) qty = 2
LS Electric 1P C40 40A Circuit Breaker UL1077 277VAC/60VDC 6/10KA qty = 2
LS Electric 1P C32 32A Circuit Breaker UL1077 277VAC/60VDC 6/10KA qty = 2
LS Electric 1P C10 10A Circuit Breaker UL1077 277VAC/60VDC 6/10KA qty = 2
MidNite Solar 15A 150V DIN Breaker qty = 2
MidNite Solar Baby Box Breaker Enclosure qty = 3
MidNite Solar Big BusBar qty = 2
MidNite Solar 50A 120V VAC Breaker qty = 1
MidNite Solar 30A 120V VAC Breaker qty = 2
MidNite Solar Busbar 2.533" - White qty = 2
MidNite Solar Big Baby Breaker Enclosure qty = 2
Victron MIDI Fuse Holder qty = 1
Victron MIDI-FUSE 80A/58V (1 pc) qty = 1
Victron VE.Bus MK3-USB Interface qty = 1
Victron VE.Direct Cable 5' qty = 2

I'll probably post a schematic to the thread in the near future. Today this as all I present. Thanks for your input.

I'm a hybrid between Cinergi and Lt, Dan

Watch Cinergis youtube videos and you'll know what you're up against. Get his parts list for the little things.

Both have great battery builds and interconnevity examples to follow.

My schematic has been an evolutionary journey but near publish worthy. Soon I hope.

Dear Mr. Saint.

I have looked through your list and it is nearly identical to mine. I have a question: and this should be in the beginners page where I belong. Here it is: Don't you need the AM Solar Smart Phase Selector (SPS) along with the quattro?

I have read the manual ten times and can't seem to figure out if the quattro does the job of choosing between 50 amp and lesser inputs. Will you please tell me the straight scoop on this? If I don't need this fancy thingie I don't want to get it. Right now I have 50 amp plug with a manual switch I use if I want to run the generator (my rv is so old (1980) it was built without an inverter with just a generator to run the two air conditioners).

thank you very much.... and I am still holding my breath for your diagram. It will help me a lot as we are doing nearly the same thing it appears.

Rob

redacted, please don't wait for my diagram or answers. I don't want it published here.

Last edited:
Back