diy solar

diy solar

Another auto gen start question

glamsland

Hi.
I got the epever up-hi 3000 hm10022 hybrid inverter. It has a dry contact relay , that i can set "close" on a voltage, and then ",open" at a voltage.. its for starting a generator.
Its many autostart diy kit out there, but i can't see whitch of them that is conrrolled with this type of ON/OFF signal. Any of you made a auto start that use this type of signal/relay? If so, with what kit? I have not bought ne a new generator yet, but i think its going to be a inverter type.. not honda , but one in the mid price range..

Thanks..
Runar

Reactions: NVS
Dry contact switching is for switching millivolts & microamps & it may use Mercury to complete the circuit.
Doesn't seem this is right.o_O

Here is the schematic for the dry contact :

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220226-200105_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220226-200105_Chrome.jpg
    180 KB · Views: 42
Go to this site and look at the products - https://atkinsonelectronics.com/search.php?search_query=GSCM

Call them and talk to Abner Jenkins, he will ensure you get the right module and offer some connectivity diagram etc.

You'll need to splice into the momentary start button etc with a short run of shielded cable to the module, of course you would need the same from the inverter to the GSCM module. This will be in parallel to the momentary switch.

The GSCM module is effin rock solid and has spade connectors on the face for easy connectivity.

Everything is built in and from the USA.

These modules offer a timed start attempt so as to not burn up the generator starter motor.

I added a linear actuator to mine to physically move the choke back and forth for start and run.

This isn't anything overly complicated and total cost with a couple of relays is about $225, but it works dependably.

Atkinson Electronics will be closed for inventory March 25-31, 2022.

Thanks. Some of the models are "stand alone" models.. i did not think of that.. they don't need the inverter/charger to tell the generator when to start, -the "stand alone" model monitor the batterybank and control the start/stop by itself.. smart.

It can command a start based upon voltage but how does it know the batteries are charged and to turn off?

I too have a question about this. I have an inverter charger with ags. My generator start button has 2 wires. 1 to ground and 1 that goes to the start module deep in the generator. I feel like I should be able to just connect directly to this switch wiring without a middle controller. My reasoning is because the inverter has all the programming built into it. How would I attach the dry contacts to the switch? I feel like I would just cut the wire and connect between, but then I would lose the electric start if the inverter wasn’t calling…

I too have a question about this. I have an inverter charger with ags. My generator start button has 2 wires. 1 to ground and 1 that goes to the start module deep in the generator. I feel like I should be able to just connect directly to this switch wiring without a middle controller. My reasoning is because the inverter has all the programming built into it. How would I attach the dry contacts to the switch? I feel like I would just cut the wire and connect between, but then I would lose the electric start if the inverter wasn’t calling…

Too much missing here.

What do you mean by start module? If you merely short the wires together, it's the same thing as holding the key in the start position even after the generator is running.

Too much missing here.

What do you mean by start module? If you merely short the wires together, it's the same thing as holding the key in the start position even after the generator is running.
Start module as in an auto gen start module like the Magnum ME-AGS.

Too much missing here.

Please explain what you mean by “too much missing”. I’m asking if I can connect the dry contacts on my inverter directly to the start/stop switch wiring?

So your generator has auto choke and
Please explain what you mean by “too much missing”. I’m asking if I can connect the dry contacts on my inverter directly to the start/stop switch wiring?

Well, such as the model of generator you have.

Without knowing that, you leave it up to us to guess if the generator has some way to auto choke, crank and start with some way to deactivate the starter motor and then some way to turn itself off all by connecting or disconnecting two leads.

So your generator has auto choke and

Well, such as the model of generator you have.

Without knowing that, you leave it up to us to guess if the generator has some way to auto choke, crank and start with some way to deactivate the starter motor and then some way to turn itself off all by connecting or disconnecting two leads.
It’s an electric start Westinghouse igen4500 inverter generator with remote starter. Auto choke. Push the button on the generator once and it starts. Push it again and it stops.

I agree with everyone else but, at a minimum you would need a relay with one set of normal open and one set of normal closed contacts. One to power your run wire and one to ground the stop wire.

I agree with everyone else but, at a minimum you would need a relay with one set of normal open and one set of normal closed contacts. One to power your run wire and one to ground the stop wire.
Wouldn’t the relays in the inverter do that? The inverter is a Renogy 2000w inverter charger with auto gen start contacts.

It’s an electric start Westinghouse igen4500 inverter generator with remote starter. Auto choke. Push the button on the generator once and it starts. Push it again and it stops.
Ok.

So if you intercept the switch, you'll need some way to make the signal momentary.

This all depends on how the ags function works on your inverter though.

Ok.

So if you intercept the switch, you'll need some way to make the signal momentary.

This all depends on how the ags function works on your inverter though.
This is the main thing I was questioning. If the contacts on the inverter connect it. It will be connected permanently until the inverter disconnects it. My concern was the button on the generator is momentary but the contacts on the inverter I would think are continuous until they disconnect. Does that make sense? Does that coincide with what you’re saying?

This is the main thing I was questioning. If the contacts on the inverter connect it. It will be connected permanently until the inverter disconnects it. My concern was the button on the generator is momentary but the contacts on the inverter I would think are continuous until they disconnect. Does that make sense? Does that coincide with what you’re saying?
Yes.

A cheap momentary timer that closes the contacts for a 1/2 second once it receives or looses power would work.

This would go between your inverter and gen.

When the inverter contacts close, the timer contacts would close for a split second then open. When they opened it would do the same.

Back