diy solar

diy solar

Another bl##dy grounding question...

mr_ed

Hi All,

I'm designing the earthing and bonding system for my off-grid electrical system and looking for thoughts. I've been through what feels like a million forums etc and found lots of different answers and a general lack of discussion for stand-alone (non-grid tied) off-grid systems.

I've searched this and other forums, been through Mike Holt's grounding videos, read through my local codes (Aus Standards, which appear to have very similar requirements to the NEC), looked at my inverter manual (not much information) and have come up with the attached.

My inverter is separated (AC and DC are electrically isolated) and does not have an internal neutral-to-ground link.

The main thing I'm still scratching my head about is whether to earth my negative battery terminal. I'm still tossing up between the following options (I understand there are also other ways to do it - resistors etc - but I'm trying to keep things simple and cost effective):

1) Bond negative battery terminal to earth as shown with a low current (0.5A) fuse so that if a ground fault occurs I have some indication that it has happened (i.e. a blown fuse). This seems like a fairly common approach but it also promotes some current flow in a ground fault scenario which I don't love.

OR

2) Don't bond battery negative to earth. In this case, under a ground fault scenario you shouldn't get any current flow through the grounding system as there is no return path to the battery, but you also won't have an indication that a ground fault is occurring.

Interested in the brains trusts thoughts on the above and any other thoughts/suggestions on the grounding/earthing design - any input much appreciated!

Cheers.

Attachments

• Shack electrical system diagram.pdf
    411 KB · Views: 17
You may want to review this
and at least the first two parts of this series:

You may want to review this
and at least the first two parts of this series:
Thank you for putting all this info in one place ! AC housing grounding.

Back