diy solar

diy solar

Another Cell Compression Thread, this time about foam

You guys are getting a little carried away on your boxes don't you think??
That's my thinking too. Of course, I'm running off of old assed golf cart batteries, a 3500 watt 25 year old Outback 12 volt inverter, and need to leave the country in a month or two (I'm about three months past the length I was going to stay and am approaching a year where I would need to reapply for a long-term visa in the country that I currently live in). Trying to get this thing together so my mom has better power and I can keep my shop from freezing/melting while I'm gone. I don't have Digital Mermaid/Ray Builds Cool Stuff time to mess with it.

Had a hell of time getting my shop built, the powershed revamped, and getting the electrician out here. Due to a bad back (thanks Army!), I can only DIY so much. My shop won't have it's mezzanine completed, interior, cistern, or all of it's stuff added by the time I leave (which was not the plan).

Is retention or compression only necessary along 1 axis or does it also need to happen on the sides?
Please read your's cells datasheet.
Most probably if needed, it's described there.
For EVE 280k it's described as 3 rods each side, 10mm alu or wood (?), compressing on the larger side - IIRC

Please read your's cells datasheet.
Most probably if needed, it's described there.
For EVE 280k it's described as 3 rods each side, 10mm alu or wood (?), compressing on the larger side - IIRC

Will do. I don't have them yet. I assume they are all the same though.

Just making small talk.

My end caps are held on with 18 #4 screws, so maybe it distributes the force a little better. I'm only using 1/4" (6mm) aluminum for the end caps, and they aren't bent. Notice also that I have to clamp the caps together to get the screw holes to align for assembly.

Your plate only spans one row of eight, whereas mine spans two rows, my plate is 386mm wide. I tightened the outer bolts first which pulled the edges in, then tightened the middle 6mm studs, I intentionally did it this way as I was curious as to whether the plate would flex. Now I've tightened the 6mm studs its straight.

You guys are getting a little carried away on your boxes don't you think??

You should see the rack ;)

Last edited:
Your battery pack above looks fabulous.

I actually managed to find this foam in the UK, but what did you use between the cells?
Hi, Could you post a source of Poron in the UK, having trouble locating it outside of massive quantities.

Hi, Could you post a source of Poron in the UK, having trouble locating it outside of massive quantities.
Unfortunately the source I found was just importing it from America, and it was cheaper to do that myself - I ordered from McCaster, but shipping still made it expensive.

I emailed quite a few suppliers, and none replied or could help.

Back