diy solar

diy solar

Another converter vs LifePO4 question

jamesinkster

Hi,

I have a truck camper with 280w solar, a Renogy Rover controller, a 200AH LifePO4, and a PD4645 converter.

The PD4645 is a few years older and does NOT have the jumper that will run it in 'lithium' mode.

The camper is usually not on shore-power, but it sometimes is for a day or two before leaving on a trip (mostly to get the fridge cold).

Is there a way I can make things work with the PD4645? I'm nervous because it occasionally runs an equalization mode...
Is there some kind of device I could wire inline that would regulate voltage or basically shut off the charging circuit when the voltage is higher than an acceptable range?

Surely someone else has figured this out? :)

Thanks

You could turn off the breaker to the converter circuit. But the ‘desulfurization’ phase is only 14.4V for 15 minutes. Not sure how that could hurt your battery. The bulk phase is the same voltage .... and I deliberately use that to charge my lifpo4 battery. You can charge at 14.6v to get cells to max ...

also, carefully look at your PD charger, PD is using the same box for the ‘new’ lithium charger, and it’s a simple jumper switch between the two modes. Look here to see the jumper location...https://www.bestconverter.com/PD-4645VL-45-Amp-Converter-Upgrade-Optional-Remote-Pendant-_p_675.html#.YL8I1-RHYlQ

You could turn off the breaker to the converter circuit. But the ‘desulfurization’ phase is only 14.4V for 15 minutes. Not sure how that could hurt your battery. The bulk phase is the same voltage .... and I deliberately use that to charge my lifpo4 battery. You can charge at 14.6v to get cells to max ...

also, carefully look at your PD charger, PD is using the same box for the ‘new’ lithium charger, and it’s a simple jumper switch between the two modes. Look here to see the jumper location...https://www.bestconverter.com/PD-4645VL-45-Amp-Converter-Upgrade-Optional-Remote-Pendant-_p_675.html#.YL8I1-RHYlQ
You make an excellent point -- 14.4v should be no problem! I was mis-remembering the desulfurization as an equalization phase at 15.x volts.

And, unfortunately, my unit is older without the jumper.

14.4 a few minutes per day may never get to 14.4 volts while in use. Not sure I would like a daily 14.4 if you have the RV plugged in during storage.

14.4 a few minutes per day may never get to 14.4 volts while in use. Not sure I would like a daily 14.4 if you have the RV plugged in during storage.
I'm not worried about charging while in use -- i have plenty of solar.
Are you saying you think 14.4 stead while on shore power (which is not that often, but might be for a couple days here and there...) is too high voltage?

While in use s/b fine. A few days in storage (no use) s/b fine. Four months over winter storage I would not like.

I looked into it thinking I could use a smart DC to DC converter of Solar controller and program it with the input being from the converter. It ended up being about the same price to add a smart charger. So I am putting in a victron IP22 charger as my main charger and putting a rocker switch on the distribution panel / converter housing to use the converter as a turbo button if I need to charge fast from shore power or gen otherwise I will keep the converter powered off just use the Victron which I can program for a LiFePo profile and it will work with my Victron smart MPPT.

Back