diy solar

diy solar

another Epever charge controller setting thread BUT about using flooded settings group for LifePo4

kanelr

hi. Looks like there are several vaugely defined less than great lithium presets.........Our old but good Xantrex inverter was made before lithium, so we just modify the lead acid settings to each correct parameter- works great!. is that doable on the 4210 series without the add on mts50?

hi. Looks like there are several vaugely defined less than great lithium presets.........Our old but good Xantrex inverter was made before lithium, so we just modify the lead acid settings to each correct parameter- works great!. is that doable on the 4210 series without the add on mts50?
There is a USB cable that you can connect to a PC and make all settings (without MTS50).

There is a USB cable that you can connect to a PC and make all settings (without MTS50).
thanks, I knew that and am getting one, however i am suspecting that, based on the translation characteristics in the manual that the settings are just layers of the same digital dialogue with different defaults. not sure

thanks, I knew that and am getting one, however i am suspecting that, based on the translation characteristics in the manual that the settings are just layers of the same digital dialogue with different defaults. not sure

Kind of, but there are other options. One is "LiBattery Protection" This is low temperature charge protection. Here's a video I did, might help get you familiar.

I got lost on the inverter part of it...is it some kind of all in one?

EPEVER software for programming - Solar Station Monitor - has a 'li-battery' default that is a good starting point. There are a number of threads here on adjusting from there to get what you want that works for your particular system.
Settings are only 'great' when they work for you. Each system is a little different, has different needs and requirements. ;)

Yes, you need the proprietary cable to connect to a laptop/PC.

FLA settings tend to have too high of boost charge voltage, and tend to not terminate charging when the battery is full. And no 'equalization' for lifepo4. At least your BMS should have temp-control if you have any risk of freezing temps.

I got lost on the inverter part of it...is it some kind of all in one?

EPEVER software for programming - Solar Station Monitor - has a 'li-battery' default that is a good starting point. There are a number of threads here on adjusting from there to get what you want that works for your particular system.
Settings are only 'great' when they work for you. Each system is a little different, has different needs and requirements. ;)

Yes, you need the proprietary cable to connect to a laptop/PC.

FLA settings tend to have too high of boost charge voltage, and tend to not terminate charging when the battery is full. And no 'equalization' for lifepo4. At least your BMS should have temp-control if you have any risk of freezing temps.
gotcha. the cable will be here tomorrow. thanks all

gotcha. the cable will be here tomorrow. thanks all
Pay close attention to setting up the com port (baud rate, etc) on the USB driver side of the PC setup. Also in the port setup on the monitor application. You must make them match.

is that doable on the 4210 series without the add on mts50?

You can do it with the PC cable, as others have noted, or with dongle (BT or wifi). You can modify an existing profile or have your way with the USER profile. If using a non-Li profile I'd manually set the Temperature Compensation to 0.

Not all the EpEver have the low-temp cutoff setting (unrelated to the above TC) that @BradCagle mentions. IIRC it's the AN and N lines that have that setting; perhaps Brad can advise on this point.

Pay close attention to setting up the com port (baud rate, etc) on the USB driver side of the PC setup. Also in the port setup on the monitor application. You must make them match.

Yes - make sure to turn on 'RS485' option for the port, or it won't work. Otherwise default seems to be fine for most users.
Connect the cable before starting the program.

update. cable arrived can't get port to show in win 10. Plus the Controller does not seem to reckognise the panels even in stand alone. is there a hard reset? Many of us could have made a career out of writing better manuals.

update. cable arrived can't get port to show in win 10. Plus the Controller does not seem to reckognise the panels even in stand alone. is there a hard reset? Many of us could have made a career out of writing better manuals.
Do you have the instructions for installing the USB com port driver? Did you do those steps?

What does 'show' mean?
Start with com3, that's default, the manual says to be sure to open the advance properties and check the box for RS485. Then start the program, verify that it is also set for com3.
Yes, the manual is somewhat confusing until you understand what the settings are doing, then it will make more sense. I actually wrote technical manuals for a time - you have a translation here, and Tracer has some somewhat fuzzy logic in the programming.

Elsewhere we have precise and detailed how-to setting it up with a laptop - did you find those threads?

To reset the controller just power it off and back on. This should be done AFTER disconnecting your solar panels.
Not sure what 'recognize panels' means either. If they're connected to the controller and there is sunlight on them, a dmm will show input voltage on the controller input terminals. If the battery isn't fully charged and there is solar gain, the controller should supply charging current to the battery.

Com port settings in win10 can be found:
Control panel/device manager/ports com & lpt

Generally com1 is reserved for printers, so Tracer defaults to com3. If it's plugged into the laptop/PC, com3 should be listed, right click on it in device manager and use the settings from the instruction manual, and check the rs485 box in port settings advanced or resources. The computer I'm on right now isn't setup for the monitoring program, but my surface pro at home is - if you need more details I can take a look there.

Last edited:
What does 'show' mean?
Start with com3, that's default, the manual says to be sure to open the advance properties and check the box for RS485. Then start the program, verify that it is also set for com3.
Yes, the manual is somewhat confusing until you understand what the settings are doing, then it will make more sense. I actually wrote technical manuals for a time - you have a translation here, and Tracer has some somewhat fuzzy logic in the programming.

Elsewhere we have precise and detailed how-to setting it up with a laptop - did you find those threads?

To reset the controller just power it off and back on. This should be done AFTER disconnecting your solar panels.
Not sure what 'recognize panels' means either. If they're connected to the controller and there is sunlight on them, a dmm will show input voltage on the controller input terminals. If the battery isn't fully charged and there is solar gain, the controller should supply charging current to the battery.

Com port settings in win10 can be found:
Control panel/device manager/ports com & lpt

Generally com1 is reserved for printers, so Tracer defaults to com3. If it's plugged into the laptop/PC, com3 should be listed, right click on it in device manager and use the settings from the instruction manual, and check the rs485 box in port settings advanced or resources. The computer I'm on right now isn't setup for the monitoring program, but my surface pro at home is - if you need more details I can take a look there.
hi thanks for reply. no driver installation instructions just files. after installing the actual software with thec.c plugged in via data piort, and after looking in device manager no port 3. just 4, 5 which would be assigned to something else. As to "show" I mean display in the device manager. They do not appear. tghere is no "setupexe, or driversetup.exe, just batch .exe and a subfolder of unidentified .exe files and other files.
I tried multiple usb ports ( must have been thinking interrupt requests), and while windows plays a note when I plug them in I haven't had success with driver installation.

hi thanks for reply. no driver installation instructions just files. after installing the actual software with thec.c plugged in via data piort, and after looking in device manager no port 3. just 4, 5 which would be assigned to something else. As to "show" I mean display in the device manager. They do not appear. tghere is no "setupexe, or driversetup.exe, just batch .exe and a subfolder of unidentified .exe files and other files.
I tried multiple usb ports ( must have been thinking interrupt requests), and while windows plays a note when I plug them in I haven't had success with driver installation.
Do you have this attached document? It is in the zip download, folder "Installation Guidance:

1660233462585.png

Attachments

• The Setup Steps and Use of Common Software1.pdf
    683.8 KB · Views: 3
The usb port driver is automatic - when you plug in the cable from the SCC windows will setup the port.
The exe file installs the program.

There seems to be a sticking point/difficulty getting this program going as we get a lot of queries here, but everyone seems to be able to get it to work.

Here are the other threads where a lot more detail is posted about configuring the program and ports:

There are probably more, but these came up on a search in my history.

The usb port driver is automatic - when you plug in the cable from the SCC windows will setup the port.
The exe file installs the program.

There seems to be a sticking point/difficulty getting this program going as we get a lot of queries here, but everyone seems to be able to get it to work.

Here are the other threads where a lot more detail is posted about configuring the program and ports:

There are probably more, but these came up on a search in my history.
thanks seem to be missing .exe in the driver folder

thanks seem to be missing .exe in the driver folder
found a later video that says you can run setup.bat as an admin. None of the videos so far refer to the exact filenames I have exceptsetup.exefor th eactual software.
I believe my unit to be bad as well (stuck in a mode) so when the replacement comes will test and follow up. THX

Not the first time I've heard of a fried controller.
Also make sure you have the right install file for the solar monitor software - we've seen the wrong version trying to be installed before as well.

Not the first time I've heard of a fried controller.
Also make sure you have the right install file for the solar monitor software - we've seen the wrong version trying to be installed before as well.
the factory support site offers version 1.95........

Back