diy solar

diy solar

Another Growatt inverter/charge controller question

jbernal

I have 18x 450w 48v panels on my roof.

This growatt 12kw inverter of mine has 2 charge controllers. I am presently using them both with 9 panels on each one.

Spec sheet on this says max PV charge current 120 amps. It has 2 charge controllers.

Question: Does that mean the throughput on each charge controller is 60 amps, or both are rated for 120?

Prime reason for asking this is we live in a windy area and I am tempted to run a set of wind turbines to supplement power usage at night. Unless I'm missing something, there isn't a good way to mix in the turbines with the solar panels, so it would need to be one charge controller solar and one charge controller wind. BUT I also want to make sure that the solar isn't getting wasted through a charge controller that can only digest half of what it is being fed. OR... can I just bypass all this insanity by adding an external charge controller for wind only and just feed it right into the battery?

Unless I'm missing something, there isn't a good way to mix in the turbines with the solar panels, so it would need to be one charge controller solar and one charge controller wind.
If your Growatt manual does not mention wind turbine input or dump load functionality, its very unlikely that it will work for a wind turbine.
OR... can I just bypass all this insanity by adding an external charge controller for wind only and just feed it right into the battery?
This is likely the best (only?) way. Having multiple charge sources is very common. You would need to make sure you do not exceed max charge current if they are both charging at the same time.

If your Growatt manual does not mention wind turbine input or dump load functionality, its very unlikely that it will work for a wind turbine.

This is likely the best (only?) way. Having multiple charge sources is very common. You would need to make sure you do not exceed max charge current if they are both charging at the same time.
^^ this. Add a wind turbine charge controller to charge batteries and use the inverter to get the splitphase out of your batteries.

I have 18x 450w 48v panels on my roof.

This growatt 12kw inverter of mine has 2 charge controllers. I am presently using them both with 9 panels on each one.

Spec sheet on this says max PV charge current 120 amps. It has 2 charge controllers.

Question: Does that mean the throughput on each charge controller is 60 amps, or both are rated for 120?

Prime reason for asking this is we live in a windy area and I am tempted to run a set of wind turbines to supplement power usage at night. Unless I'm missing something, there isn't a good way to mix in the turbines with the solar panels, so it would need to be one charge controller solar and one charge controller wind. BUT I also want to make sure that the solar isn't getting wasted through a charge controller that can only digest half of what it is being fed. OR... can I just bypass all this insanity by adding an external charge controller for wind only and just feed it right into the battery?
I am no expert on wind turbines, never used one, but if you plan on doing so, based on what i've read here you're going to need a readily available dump load so youre not suddenly unloading your turbines when batteries either disconnect or reach full. Wind is a whole new beast separate from solar. I am not discouraging it, just making you aware that like solar, it has its caveats and requirements that you need to beware of and plan for.

Back