diy solar

diy solar

Another new guy, building a home battery backup system.

I don't care aout annoying my neighbors ... they all have loud generators. I mostly care about my own sanity.
HAHAHA - got it! Based on what I've heard during past power outages none of our neighbors have generators, so I don't want to be identified as the only one with power.

Last edited:
I'm on the western edge of all this mess. Very little wind for me and the power only flickered once. We get worse during the typical afternoon thunderstorm.
Good to hear you got through this unharmed! I sure do feel sorry for all who didn't!

I'm on the western edge of all this mess. Very little wind for me and the power only flickered once. We get worse during the typical afternoon thunderstorm.
May it be mild until Ida passes completely ☮️

Sounds like the system you’ve built should cover some needs if it’s called upon. ? Good testing.

I haven't updated this in a while. Over time I have added, replaced, moved, and removed a few things in our setup, and my wiring is getting a little bit messy. The mess doesn't affect the way anything runs so I don't feel any urgency to shut things down to straighten it out, yet, but it is beginning to bug me. I was planning a cabinet front with doors to hide it all, but the wife kinda likes it like it is so that hasn't progressed.

1000 watts of solar was the biggest addition so now we are up to 1600 watts installed. I have another 600 watts of panels in the shed. Swapped out some fuses and breakers for better. We are very happy with how the system performs and VRM is amazing.

During our summer heat wave we bought a Midea U 12000btu A/C to supplement our central A/C that couldn't keep up. We ran it off of the extra solar just to see if we could and at our current rates we figure we avoided $20 - $25 a month of grid electricity.

Now we are thinking we should add a real solar array, and more batteries, and another inverter so we can run more of the house on solar.
DBD5E9A7-DE09-4ABD-A1AB-6293B881E9C8.jpeg

I really like your system. Small wires like the BMS stuff can be a real pain to keep looking nice..

Some people will use spiral wrap to help tame the nest that can build up over time if the small wires bother you. What is really nice is that you don't have to take anything apart to add it.

Back