diy solar

diy solar

ANOTHER of wills videos gets taken down due to criticism...

MBR said:
I cannot go to sleep at night if I get a certain number of critical comments.

Sorry to hear that.
Keep up the good work and don't let the bastards wear you down.
Will said that so I have no idea how you got me as making that quote?

And I was also thinking this morning that the "Lowest Common Denominator" was the
issue online and in life with liability and keeping everyone safe.
I have to end a 9 year old event due to this.

And I was also thinking this morning that the "Lowest Common Denominator" was the

Sorry MBR I meant to reply to Will.

Common ! a Tesla S3 ! i thought you were targeting at least a Rivian.
i had two Range Rover and the Rivian looks pretty much the same. The interior of the old Range Rover is great.
I do not like the design of the new one
1585258730513.png

Attachments

• 1585258730224.png
    1585258730224.png
    358.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
@Will Prowse

I think you made the right decision to take down the two videos.

The Tesla one was just wrong time like you said, there is no need to hurt your brand on a video about buying something. People are just going to be jealous and that's just the way its going to be.

The other one with the 240v panel, I hate to say it but there are way too many morons watching YouTube that are going to learn just enough from your videos to kill themselves. This is definitely not your fault, just people are to stupid to know their own limitations and they DON'T LISTEN!!!

Overall you videos are very informative and entertaining. Your just having a rough patch.

Many when editing to get a single line from a quote mess up, and delete the poster quote section...

Hey everyone, yeah I took it down. I could have done a better job. I have delivery delays and made the video with supplies I had on had. My mistake. Should have delayed the release or re-filmed it.

I even explained in the video that the terminal will not accommodate the gauge of wire that I was using. But I STILL got a ton of comments on current sharing. Drove me crazy. I figured it was implied, but I think I will need to assume that every viewer is a beginner from now on. My fault. Sorry guys.

Also, there was a lot of confusion regarding NEC installation practices. I bought the cheapest split phase panel I could get my hands on and called it a "main panel" (even though it did not have a main breaker). People did not like that, and I understand their reasoning. I just wanted a demonstration panel to show the basics. My mistake. Should use a full size panel next time.

I did not cover grounding. I ground for reference 0 volts and excess charge dissipation, but people though I was grounding for grid tie reasons. Again, my mistake. Should make another video about this.

Some people complained about the extension cord not being secured. I had no intentions of securing it, and wanted to add a load to one of the inverters. I had at least 10 comments about this, and it drove me nuts.

I agree! Random viewers on youtube should probably not touch 240V. Great point.

I cannot go to sleep at night if I get a certain number of critical comments. They are valid points, and I need to do a better job. I will wait another month or so to get better supplies (my certain shipment delays are pretty bad right now). I should be patient and stop posting for a while, so I can do a better job.
A main panel does not require a main breaker, IF it is fed from a switched source... the inverter has main switch, and overload protection, AND there is no panel between the energy source and the panel... so it’s a main panel...

go to a supply house... main panels are available with AND without main breakers...

Cant you put a disclaimer at the beginning of your vids ?.... The problem with the type of work you are doing is that there are so many boffs, know it all's and smart arses waiting in the wings to tell you that are wearing the wrong spec trousers for the solar installation you are building.... bad analogy but hope you get the point....
I am, however, very impressed with the DIY solar power forum members in that I am a total noob when it comes to electronics but have received uncondescending , polite and really useful help to date..... thanks....

I will make a better video.

Also, the backdrop was ugly. And the lighting was a bit off. White balance was horrible in some clips. Need to improve that in my setup.

I think you fuss too much about that stuff...content is king, and your fans appreciate seeing you 'wing it' when you have something interesting to offer. Secondly, we need a steady diet of WP, so think about metering on topics, and giving us small/short vids that move us along a path to learning/understanding the topic. If you grow bored of the same topic, and wish to post more lifestyle updates content, it might be a good idea to begin labeling vids, like Shed Install Series, Vid #1, etc. That way when we need to refer to your vids during our own build out, we can find them easily. Playlisting also works, but I find that less appealing from a chronological standpoint (how old is that playlist anyway..WP has a shaved head!), and would prefer sorting by title when viewing your 'video wall'. You might find many, but 'short and sweet' may increase your engagement, too. Stay positive! Cheers!

A main panel does not require a main breaker, IF it is fed from a switched source... the inverter has main switch, and overload protection, AND there is no panel between the energy source and the panel... so it’s a main panel...

go to a supply house... main panels are available with AND without main breakers...
Samlex Inverters recommend an external AC Breaker between the Inverter & the AC Panel for their installations. Also they have separate tables (not posted here) for AC Input between Grid & Inverter as well as GenSet & Inverter. Always a good idea to follow Inverter Manufacturers recommendations. In the case of North America, you could use a 240VAC/60A Service Panel with a 240V/60A Main Input breaker.

North American Table for AC Breaker Sizing (120VAC)
Samlex-AC-Breaker-Tables.JPG

AC Breaker Table EURO 230VAC/50Hz
Samlex-AC-Breaker-Tables EURO.JPG

What a load of nonsense! You should have left it up with a big disclaimer. The 240volt video was the best one I have seen (at least for my needs), I’m not confident enough to do it myself, but this video helps me be a better consumer of services and products when I do hire someone to do it for me.

As for the Tesla video, who are the big babies complaining? Take a look a the world around you., folks, In my town there are so many 5 million dollar homes, I couldn’t even count them. Each has at least two luxury cars parked in driveway. If you want to be jealous, be jealous of these people, not Will...
It seems to me that Will has worked hard and SMART for his money. He deserves what he gets because he adds value.

Will, newly registered here. Been following your YT for a long time. I am now 67, so, I have seen a lot of things both, good and bad In life.

I consider your work to be excellent. Sure, a lot of it is on a “R&D” bench with jumper wires, temp connections, etc. I would strongly oppose having to fill up many minutes of video with disclaimer statements for the Idjuts. Look up “Ten Pretty Good Rules” from the Naval War college. Each of them can be applied to some event during the day. Please do not let the Idjuts get you down. Please remember, “Aim for success, not perfection”. If looking for perfection, no video will ever get published. I consider a successful video to be one that gets published.

I used to manage 800 contract staff. If any one of them did anything right or wrong, the Customer considered it my fault. I got over it. Yes, there were occasions when some negative act required swift and sure action on my part, but not as many as one might think. Sometimes the Customer had to be educated about the right thing to do.

Last edited:
Hey everyone, yeah I took it down. I could have done a better job............

Hi Will,
I hope you will re-create the video, I found it really useful and went back to watch it again and couldn't find it :( now I know why :)

I am really keen to find out more about your views on the Growatt Inverters and if I should get one instead of the MPP.

I was looking at the PIP5048 or the MPI 5Kw Plus but I'm not sure which is the equivalent in the Growatt range (if there is one).

I am posting the video. Screw the mean people. It was a super fun video, and nothing mean about it. Thanks everyone

YAY!

If we keep dropping to the lowest common denominator we are lost.

People need to take responsibility for their own actions after watching a free video on YT IMHO.

I am posting the video. Screw the mean people. It was a super fun video, and nothing mean about it. Thanks everyone

Well done Will, but it wasn't the Tesla video (that I see has been re-posted) that I was wanting to watch again, it was the 48V System with the Growatt inverter :)
Gutted too that I missed the live stream, (forgot to put notifications on), I'm about to go watch that now.

P.S.
Do you offer a paid system design service? PM me if you do or know someone that does it. Thanks

I just bought a couple of growatt‘s and was looking forward to watching your video, but now it’s gone. What’s up with that. I hope you put it back up, I wanted to see what you recommended on the settings and how it performed. If people can’t understand this is a ”Lab” testing environment and get all crazy with the every little detail, then they can use the off switch on their device or change channels and don't watch. Hope you post it back up and screw anyone that doesn’t like the truth about actual real world testing and experience with a product.

Will
Hope you put the 48/220 backup. Looking at minisplit for Rv Ac. For a multi head unit need 220. Was able to see it one time.

Back