diy solar

diy solar

ANOTHER of wills videos gets taken down due to criticism...

Will
Hope you put the 48/220 backup. Looking at minisplit for Rv Ac. For a multi head unit need 220. Was able to see it one time.
Keep in mind, the minisplit doesn’t need split phase power. Any 230V inverter of sufficient wattage will power them.
I am configuring a cheap mpp style 2400W 230V inverter to power a 12,000BTU minisplit...

Keep in mind, the minisplit doesn’t need split phase power. Anesely 230V inverter of sufficient wattage will power them.
I am configuring a cheap mpp style 2400W 230V inverter to power a 12,000BTU minisplit...
That is exactly what I need. 8k diesel generator handles 120. But when I install my solar/lithium system for stand alone operation I want to have no need for any diesel/gas fuel usage. Total stealth usage for house systems.

Hey everyone, yeah I took it down. I could have done a better job. I have delivery delays and made the video with supplies I had on had. My mistake. Should have delayed the release or re-filmed it.

I even explained in the video that the terminal will not accommodate the gauge of wire that I was using. But I STILL got a ton of comments on current sharing. Drove me crazy. I figured it was implied, but I think I will need to assume that every viewer is a beginner from now on. My fault. Sorry guys.

Also, there was a lot of confusion regarding NEC installation practices. I bought the cheapest split phase panel I could get my hands on and called it a "main panel" (even though it did not have a main breaker). People did not like that, and I understand their reasoning. I just wanted a demonstration panel to show the basics. My mistake. Should use a full size panel next time.

I did not cover grounding. I ground for reference 0 volts and excess charge dissipation, but people though I was grounding for grid tie reasons. Again, my mistake. Should make another video about this.

Some people complained about the extension cord not being secured. I had no intentions of securing it, and wanted to add a load to one of the inverters. I had at least 10 comments about this, and it drove me nuts.

I agree! Random viewers on youtube should probably not touch 240V. Great point.

I cannot go to sleep at night if I get a certain number of critical comments. They are valid points, and I need to do a better job. I will wait another month or so to get better supplies (my certain shipment delays are pretty bad right now). I should be patient and stop posting for a while, so I can do a better job.
I like those kinds of videos! It's called " keeping it real".

Keep in mind, the minisplit doesn’t need split phase power. Any 230V inverter of sufficient wattage will power them.
Colour me confused !
North America is 120V Single Phase @ 60Hz for common power and 240V Split Phase @ 60Hz.

Plug, socket & voltage by country
Last update: 13 January 2020

The world has 7.5 Billion people and the USA only has 350 Million, perspective ?

Colour me confused !
North America is 120V Single Phase @ 60Hz for common power and 240V Split Phase @ 60Hz.

Plug, socket & voltage by country
Last update: 13 January 2020

The world has 7.5 Billion people and the USA only has 350 Million, perspective ?
Most minis are universal, able to operate an any frequency, and most of the bigger units are 240v, not 120v, and many inverters have frequency settings. The one I chose has settings for any frequency and can sync to whatever voltage you charge with...

I like those kinds of videos! It's called " keeping it real".
Will - I saw the split-phase video before it was taken down. You mentioned that you were using units that were in effect rebranded MPP units. Can you give us the name of these rebranded units again so I can investigate these units as an alternative to the MPP units? I too hope you are able to repost this video. I went to rewatch it and, poof, it was gone. It even disappears from my view history. I thought I was hallucinating in quarantine. Thanks.

Will - I saw the split-phase video before it was taken down. You mentioned that you were using units that were in effect rebranded MPP units. Can you give us the name of these rebranded units again so I can investigate these units as an alternative to the MPP units?
Growatt Solar Inverter

I was so close to buying a 110volt 12btu minisplit...But 220v 12btu mini is a far better seer and lower amperage.. Could you tell me in detail what the system to run the 220 minisplit will be...I was going to buy the growatt 3kw to run the 110 version...
I

I bought a 3KW 230V mpp style inverter, and tied it to my 208V shop power, and it synced to the voltage of my office, then tied to a 12,000BTUH mini... the inverter was about 350, and seems to handle things fine. I hooked to a pair of byd 24V packs for the bank, and tied to a pair of 330W used panels... just leaning against some junk in the yard.

I was so close to buying a 110volt 12btu minisplit...But 220v 12btu mini is a far better seer and lower amperage.. Could you tell me in detail what the system to run the 220 minisplit will be...I was going to buy the growatt 3kw to run the 110 version...
I
CAUTION: You mention 110VAC so you must be in North America. US, Canada do NOT use 220 which is Europe & Asia, look for 240VAC @ 60Hz which is Split Phase. They are not interchangeable. Please be very careful when reading the listings, last thing you'd wanna do is to plug a European 220V device into a US 240V plug.

CAUTION: You mention 110VAC so you must be in North America. US, Canada do NOT use 220 which is Europe & Asia, look for 240VAC @ 60Hz which is Split Phase. They are not interchangeable. Please be very careful when reading the listings, last thing you'd wanna do is to plug a European 220V device into a US 240V plug.
Not really...

if WIRING DIRECTLY TO A MINISPLIT. Euro230 or USA split phase makes no difference...

Isn't Europe Single Phase 220V @ 50Hz ?
geez, I hate different standards. I know some gear can be switched modes for use in different regions but not everything can.
In any case, always make sure it is compatible with what your using, especially if buying off the web as the adverts can be, shall we say, less than informative or too "generic".

NOT use 220 which is Europe

Also, nitpicking, but Europe is actually 230V +/-10% i.e. 207-253V @50Hz.

Euro230 or USA split phase makes no difference

Doesn't the fact that it would be 60Hz vs the designed for 50Hz make issues? I'm not familiar with mini-split air conditioners, but if they rely on the line frequency for motor control or whatever?

it all depends the wiring.
some stuff are not working at all (got a 50Hz pump for swimming pool that was not working at 60Hz), but most devices are running, while they could show some isssues , like noise or excessive heat or loss of power.
for example most fridges or freezer are working fine.

yeah, the frequency of the power could be an issue, but the unit i got was autosynch to match incoming power... mpp style, and works great.

Doesn't the fact that it would be 60Hz vs the designed for 50Hz make issues? I'm not familiar with mini-split air conditioners, but if they rely on the line frequency for motor control or whatever?
If it's an inverter design it won't really care in that regard. Even in the USA at least from what I can see that style of aircon is mostly inverter these days but I do see that some manufacturers are still making some direct mains motor models too.

Back