diy solar

diy solar

Another step to an energy independent holiday resort

RolandW

Hi everyone. As my holiday in Thailand basically is running all on PV energy during the day times, i have now started a DIY powerwall project to use excessive power as well in the night. Grid connected, intelligent metering and controlling, DIY from A-Z,... it would be great if some of you find it interesting an follow me on my YouTube by watching my episodes of "The AC-Powerwall Project". Thanks

Attachments

• AC-Powerwall.pdf
    383.8 KB · Views: 11
Welcome to the forum Roland, and greetings from rural Isaan (Udon Thani province).

Use your first post as promotion for your YouTube channel....
Not the best way to start at this forum intended for DIY, helping other DIY.

So please share your DIY project here for all to see, and discuss here.
Not YouTube!!

For me? Off-grid (no grid for 8km) all DIY installation.
50 kWh /1016Ah@52.4v LiFePO4,
3 * 3.2 KW Revo II hybrid inverter in parallel and
43 panels, max 14.3kw watt solar.
(Per day max per day 75- 85 kWh)
Sufficient to power our farm :)
(And have some left over for crypto mining)

Dear Horst, thank you for your suggestion. I have chosen YouTube to present the project, because a single frame of a video can tell more then 1000 words. It doesn't need to be discussed there. And as you saw, my channel is bare of any other content. 2 subscribers and a couple of views. Unmonetized nor professional.

The intent of my project, is to give people with already existing grid-tied PV systems an idea off how to build DIY storage. Utilities worldwide are starting to reduce feed-in-tariffs or scrapping net-metering schemes. Now, those people, can only go to companies and buy more or less expensive storage systems to deal with such a situation. In my case, i wouldn't even have an option (unless i would take a mortgage on my property). Bui i found out, that DIY even in this case is very cost effective.

So here the cornerstones of the project:
- 270Ah Lifepo from 48 used 100Ah cells (actually measured)
- 2 AC small vehicle chargers (now 18A+25A) allowing charging in 3 steps (18/25/43A)
- charging is determined by measuring bi-directional power flow using now Eastron X835 Smart meter, or Timer programs
- DIY controller unit based on Arduino Mega. 8 operating modes and 4 setting modes
- discharge by 2kW grid-tied, battery inverter with export limiter
--> all for a total budget of 2700 usd
Existing solar system: 4,6 kWp off-grid with 10 kWh LiPo on PIP5048 inverter, 14 kWp grid-tied on other 6 inverters (distributed on 3 phases).
Daily generation around 70-80 kWh, 85% self-consumption. Resort is now 55% powered by PV.

Btw, impressive system which you have. If the Isaan wouldn't be so far away from my place, i would certainly visit you there.

Greetings!

Impressive setup also :)
Where are you located?

For YouTube, sure, as added value, it's great.

You can place a link with the "chain" sign between text size and picture to the YouTube video.

Attachments like PDF I usually don't open. My internet is via G3 and slow ...

It's good to talk about what you did, and place the video link of that episode.

Many people look here for information.
Your description about the video will inform them if they want to watch, or not.

From your description many interesting parts people love to know!!

Here was no previous setup.
(Or not to re-use, 2* 80w panel and small battery + 300w inverter, at 21.00 battery was already empty..
Way past its replacement date)

For batteries I paid $120 per kWh
Solar average $95 per panel
Inverters $450 per 3.2kw + wifi
Bus-bars $350 (or include failed melting copper project... $450)
BMS...
That was learning curve..
Many here thankfully used that sharing ?
From active Balancer BMS that broke in 3 days to 250ADaly that got defective after 2.5 months and "smart 150A" Daly who wasn't suitable for me as it needs to pre-charge the inverters..
That was already $500,-.. cry...

Now the DIYBMS. That is amazing.
Price per cell module $3, each capable of balance 680ma
Controller including wemos (WiFi!!!) And relay board about $10,-

I'll make extensive post about that when finished.
Include YouTube materials :)

What BMS do you use ?

Last edited:
My BMS is a very ordinary Daly style (YIT, 50 usd) 70A charge and discharge. My max current on the system is 43A. I control the inverter from DC side via a contactor. I don't have any idea how big of a current spike it does produce when pre charging the capacitors when i switch the DC. But its a fairly small inverter. Probably no huge caps there. Crossing fingers. Hehe. BMS for me is only there to watch limits. Didn't think about balancing yet much. The pack is nicely balanced without anything at the moment.

Back