diy solar

diy solar

Another successful Valence battery connection via 12.12 and a Surface Pro 6

So the Valence built-in BMS does cell balancing, and if I connect two together via the communications plug the two batteries will do cell balancing across both units? I read somewhere that the communications doesn't happen unless you have a terminator on one end and I assume the BMS on the other. Is this true?

Looking at the Valence output it looks like they don't do cell balancing but string balancing, can anyone confirm?

What other things does it do, not temp protection I see, but does it to over/under voltage or over current protection?

And the big question, WHY does Will NOT recommend the XP? On his Youtube video for the RT he specifically calls out the XP to avoid.

Did not notice that but would be interesting to know if he intentionally specified RT over XP.

So the Valence built-in BMS does cell balancing, and if I connect two together via the communications plug the two batteries will do cell balancing across both units? I read somewhere that the communications doesn't happen unless you have a terminator on one end and I assume the BMS on the other. Is this true?
If your question is, Do the cells from battery A balance with the cells in battery B, I don't think so. You do not need the terminator, nor do you need the U-BMS. This has been discussed in other threads.
Looking at the Valence output it looks like they don't do cell balancing but string balancing, can anyone confirm?
Not sure of the question, this is from the valence Manual
Cell - A single battery cell representing 3.2 V.
Cell Block - A group of cells configured in parallel with permanent metal plate bused connections.
XP Module/ Battery - A single U-Charge XP is made up of 4 to 12 cell blocks in series. These circuits are
paralleled for to give the required capacity. The U1-12XP, U24-12XP and U27-12XP have 4 cell blocks in
series with a nominal voltage of 12.8VDC The UEV-18XP has 6 series cell blocks with a nominal voltage of
19.2VDC, and the U27-36XP has 12 series cell blocks with a nominal voltage of 38.4VDC.

What other things does it do, not temp protection I see, but does it to over/under voltage or over current protection?
I can't confirm that it does anything other than cell balancing, I can confirm that it does that. I'm of the opinion that the U-BMS does the controlling of other things based on the information from the individual internal BMS's.

And the big question, WHY does Will NOT recommend the XP? On his Youtube video for the RT he specifically calls out the XP to avoid.

Will hasn't responded to any of the threads on Valence batteries.

Excellent
For temperature control I use these things digital temp control. Since the relay that is in them is pretty small I use them to control a second relay. For the heat pads I used a standard SPDT 30/40A automotive type relay. The battery disconnect is a pretty standard DPDT 12V coil relay paired with a 300A latching relay
48910959376_da0a1d429b_o.jpg

Just FYI for anyone with Valence batteries, I emailed Muller Industries about the U-BMS and this was their response:

"We will be preselling our MIUSA BMS-LV for Valence Batteries as of 12/1 with a ship date of mid January. $399 Pre Sale, $499 MSRP"

On a YouTube video that was recommended by a user in our group it does mention the 120 ohm resistor. I don't have one but I will try without the resistor.

Back