diy solar

diy solar

Another Top Balance Screwup

Progress includes making things simpler and easier. That was my goal when I switched from parallel top balancing to using the active balancer.
I'm surprised nobody is interested. To each their own

Progress includes making things simpler and easier. That was my goal when I switched from parallel top balancing to using the active balancer.

What balancer are you using BTW? The QNBBM's would run me something like $400+ if I recall correctly :(

No, I am interested enough to have watched at least a half dozen reviews for balancers. Unfortunately it seems about a 50/50 chance to get one that is actually useful.

Some are much more useful than others, but they also cost more.

I think it is a topic that needs more testing and facts. Things like 100 amp hours out of balance, how long does it take, and are they actually balanced. Most balance done by the BMS seems unlikely to correct a significant imbalance.

Is there an active balance you recommend or are they fairly generic with same specs?
$12 on eBay looks like a slam dunk.

What balancer are you using BTW? The QNBBM's would run me something like $400+ if I recall correctly :(
I'm using this BMS with active balance - https://www.alibaba.com/product-det...a2756.order-detail-ta-ta-b.0.0.11b72fc2wCGKKK

It still takes a week or more to top balance a 48V battery but it's one setup and the active balancer does all the work.
It isn't a set it and forget it process because you have to use low charge amps some of the time so the active balance can keep up.
But it is easy to get used to. I just keep hacking at it until I'm satisfied.

I'm using this BMS with active balance - https://www.alibaba.com/product-det...a2756.order-detail-ta-ta-b.0.0.11b72fc2wCGKKK

It still takes a week or more to top balance a 48V battery but it's one setup and the active balancer does all the work.
It isn't a set it and forget it process because you have to use low charge amps some of the time so the active balance can keep up.
Is it top balancing your pack or balancing to some other reference... like float voltage?

I know many have moved on from the Chargery BMS, but I had no problem top balancing my 2P4S pack with 190 ah cells using the Chargery and an inexpensive power supply ..... When the highest cell got near 3.6V, I just reduced the charge current and crept up the rest of the way. So far the balance has held up good, but the pack won't see heavy use til this summer.
I didn't charge in parallel first.

That is a nice Heltec BMS. The reviews on Heltec active balancing look good, and so do some of their only balance products.

I might have to order one of their active balancers and test it.

A couple of my cells went out of balance, a little low, and I brought them up with the Riden. If I need to get an active balancer it will be a Heltec. Most likely a 1.2 amp one. So yes I am interested for post battery build maintenance if it will help my cells stay balanced.

The whole thing with this is most of us are keeping within the knees and an active balancer doesn't help much if at all between the knees. Have you found different?

Is it top balancing your pack or balancing to some other reference... like float voltage?
I move my float up until the cells start to diverge then I float there until it's balanced. Then move the float up until they diverge about .05V and float there until it's balanced again. Once I get it balanced to within .003 at 3.4V it's done. After floating so long at 3.4V the cells are very close to fully charged.

That's it.

I have spent quite a bit of time on this but I am not saying I have it all figured out. I think it is the better way to balance.
That is after a lot of experience parallel top balancing and charging individual cells.

There are other people doing it this way and I think it will become the standard.

For what it's worth, there are a few of us using this BMS on this site. I don't know why it's not more popular or known, but I've been running several for almost a year now without issues.
When I first talked to Heltec they discouraged me from buying this smart bms with active balance.
When I explained that I was going to use it on a 280Ah 48V Echo thought it wasn't good enough.

I think these were initially made for ebikes.

When I first talked to Heltec they discouraged me from buying this smart bms with active balance.
When I explained that I was going to use it on a 280Ah 48V Echo thought it wasn't good enough.

I think these were initially made for ebikes

That’s how chargery started out, as well. I don’t understand all the hate directed toward the chargery BMS on this forum, especially when its mfg/seller has been so willing to interact with the people here (though due to the experience I think he is less inclined to do this much anymore). I mean...configuration of the EPEVER MPPT SCC is no less complex than I imagine the chargery to be, yet the epever SCC gets raving reviews and the chargery gets dumped on.

What is the deal?

Sorry if this is off-topic, but I’m strongly considering the chargery, and if no one can tell me why (with supporting evidence and not just subjective opinion and conjecture) it’s a bad option, then what the hell?

After reviewing many threads in this forum related to the chargery, it’s like people want to dump on the guy and his product when he’s been extremely willing to work on and resolve problems/complaints (which he has succeeded in doing, as far as I can tell). It’s like a gang that wants to keep the chargery squeezed out of main stream. Based on what I’ve read, the chargery BMS seems to get unreasonable hate and discord. There were problems early, but they seem to be resolved. I know others who are successfully using the BMS and have no complaints. For the price and capabilities, it seems like a slam dunk home run touchdown with a 2 point conversion in overtime after tying the game with 2 free throws and a grand slam.

So....what the fork?

I've got nothing bad to say about Chargery other than I don't really like all of the separate pieces.
If I was going to use high amps I probably would have used Chargery.
I have four 48V batteries and 4 BMSs. My fuses are 125A so that's all my BMSs are going to see.

I thought Chargery was coming out with a smart BMS

I've got nothing bad to say about Chargery other than I don't really like all of the separate pieces.
If I was going to use high amps I probably would have used Chargery.
I have four 48V batteries and 4 BMSs. My fuses are 125A so that's all my BMSs are going to see.

I thought Chargery was coming out with a smart BMS
Sorry for my redundant and poorly written rant. I was just waking up and just now decided to properly proofread what I wrote.

It bothers me when I see a product so good on paper and in price, with an engineer happy to interact on the forum (even if selfishly driven, putting him/herself out there), acknowledging and fixing issues with the product, working closely with a member of the forum to improve documentation.....and for it all to be pissed on...for what reason?

It just doesn’t make sense to me.

</off topic rant>

There are lots of things that don't make sense. You have to dig though as much info as you can and make a decision.
And question the things that don’t make sense to shed light and either make sense of it or correct it so it does make sense.

That sounds about as fruitful as trying to make sense of our political system.
Nah...it makes sense as far as a f@%#tarded 2 party system in a free and democratically controlled nation goes. Corruption always finds its way in somewhere. The problems come when the citizens are too distracted with shiny objects and digital technology or too conditioned to being told “the politicians will handle it, that’s their job. You just need to go shovel crap like a good boy,” or are too in-the-dark (better than the word “ignorant” that people take so negatively) due to lack of involvement in one‘s local state and federal affairs to notice.

Back