diy solar

diy solar

Another 'would you use this cell in your battery?' post

bigljd

Hi all,
I ordered 8 Eve 280k cells from one of the vendors from Will's site (EEL), and received them yesterday. They were packaged 4 per box with foam pads (don't most US warehouse vendors ship 2 per box?), but somewhere during shipping it is likely that one box was dropped (there was damage to the inside of the box) resulting in one of the cells having a damaged corner. FedEx appears to have tried to hide the damage with copious amounts of brown shipping tape on the box.

I've been arguing with the vendor to send a replacement, but they are insisting that the cell is fine and that if at some point it leaks, then they'll send a replacement (I really don't believe anything the dude says at this point, it's obvious they are not going to support their product once they have my $$).

The cells will be used in a camper van as an 8S 24 volt battery. I plan to compress the cells with 3/4" plywood/threaded rods, with the individual cells being separated and held together with VHB tape to keep them from bouncing around. I will be using clear acrylic on the top and one side so I have visibility to the cells, and will connect the cells with flexible bus bars and post covers, and will use a JK B2A8S20 BMS. The whole assembly will be screwed or bolted to the van frame inside the vehicle in the back corner.

I'm trying to do everything the correct way, but starting off the build with a damaged cell seems like a bad idea. The vendor did offer to sell me 4 more cells for the price of 3, but I don't really want to give this guy any more of my money. I don't see any vendors selling single cells. I might consider ordering the minimum of 2 from Amy Wan at Luyuan shipped from China, as it looks like every US warehouse vendor only sells in 4-packs.

If this was your battery, would you use the cell, or bite the bullet and throw more money at the problem to get a replacement cell? I do have time on my side, as I won't get my van until early next year. I have experience with electronic DIY projects (I built an electric home brewery 10 years ago and still use it), but am new to LifePo4 and would love your feedback.

Attachments

• batt1.jpg
    batt1.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 43
  • batt2.jpg
    batt2.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 43
Never.

Thanks, that's what my gut is telling me too. I'm using the damaged cell for now to build battery enclosure and will use it for initial testing, but will plan on ordering 2 more cells from Luyuan and replace the damaged cell before I install the electrical system next year.

Back