diy solar

diy solar

ANT BMS PreCharge Failure

slapshot0130

I have an ANT 100AMP BMS that I have been using for about two months. I just started to run into the issue of "Precharge Failure" where I wake up and my BMS is suck trying to start up without success. While it's easy enough to disconnect the battery, reconnect and be good for a while, it has been very frustrating trying to figure out what the issue has been.

I initially thought it was a cell difference issue, but now I'm getting this error at night when charging isn't happening nor is there a large load on the system.

I had this issue also before; I see your post is a couple months ago, I also posted about this here and had no answers as well.
Here is what you do not do; do not contact the factory customer support. They are just horrid. you'll send them all they ask for all the screenshots etc then will not help.
Here's what worked for me.
1) Turn off ALL loads, DC and inverter drawing power from the battery.
2) Take a cable, and bypass the negative terminal of the BMS; You're going to temporarily connect it directly from the battery negative (not BMS negative) to the negative terminal of your inverter. I recommend if you have a bigass resister, connect one of those on the end first and go through that to reduce the spark when the capacitors fill up.
After holding it there for I dunno, 30 seconds (depends on size of resistor), take off the resistor and touch the cable directly to the inverter negative terminal without the resistor. (May wanna wear glasses just in case) especially on 48v systems the sparks can fly.
Let that stay connected for a minute.
3) Issue the reboot command to the ANT (with the extra cable still bypassing the ANT, the ANT is also STILL connected).
You should get a nice startup with no precharge failure message.
4) Disconnect your extra cable.

You should be in business now. You may want to check all your intercell connections as well before you do any of this (with all loads off!!!)
something happened that caused the capacitors in your inverter to be drained even though you were just using the battery and not messing with things. Probably there is a crappy bolt not nicely holding a busbar down flush on 1 or more of the cells or something like this.

To who it may help ...
I had the same pre charge failure error with my newly 100A Ant BMS at second use, after 1 day not to have been used.
In the parameters there is a 'Pre-charge Current' setting.
For me it was solved by changing this parameter from 25 to 50 Amps
But this will depend on your installation ...

Back