diy solar

diy solar

Anti spark connectors XT90 resistor integrated

curiouscarbon

Science Penguin
has anyone used these before? integrated resistor that contacts first before the full connection.

1634883323475.jpeg

seems kinda neat. never tried it myself. dunno what the resistor value is. if i get one i’ll try to measure that Ohm value.

it’s like it precharges with a resistor every time it’s plugged in.

I think it’s more of recessed connections so you don’t see the spark/cause harm, don’t think there’s anything special going on with preinsertion resistors or something.

Also I still stated it will spark, just won’t cause damage to connector.

How do you turn “off” the resistors? I wouldn’t think you’d want them enabled all the time.

Agreed I see “anti spark”, but nothing about “resistors”. Gotta read between the marketing mumbo jumbo. Looks like a regular xt90 and the price reflects that as well.

The positive input is separated in to two rings, you can see the green insulation about 1/4 of the wat in. initial contact is with the outer ring, and current flows through an internal resistor. Once the pin is fully inserted, the resistor is not going to carry any load.

If it’s plugged in really fast then maybe it’s possible to still get a spark, but with XT30/60/90 connectors due to the geometry of the four way outward spring pin, the initial insertion is almost always made to occur over a few hundred milliseconds at least.

1634932756082.jpeg
i tried to highlight the feature a bit. it’s a pretty blurry photo to begin with.

the lower red squiggle is the resistor precharge connection

the middle green squiggle is the gap with no conductor

the upper red squiggle is the internal direct connection to the wire

at least this is my amateur interpretation of the hardware

Last edited:
The following thread has some useful information on these connectors IMHO.

Will a regular XT 90 work with an female XT 90 antispark?
Yes it will. Only the female is antispark there is no such thing as a male antispark XT 90. The thing that makes the XT 90 antispark is resistors, these resistors only exist in the female part of the connector.
1634935020099.jpeg
1634935039669.jpeg
The green is the resistor. This basically allows a small amount of electricity to come in so when you are plugging in halfway enough electricity is coming in so it does not spark when plugged in the rest of the way.
1634935093954.png
Note: Do not leave the connector plugged in halfway, using high power while plugged in halfway will heat up and melt the resistor. While it may be enough to power on your system, you want to make sure it is fully plugged in each time.
This is plugged in partway where only the resistor is connecting
1634935264523.jpeg
This is plugged in all the way.
1634935288557.jpeg

Last edited:
Back