diy solar

diy solar

Any brainiacs want to give this a shot?

Roswell Bob

Solar Enthusiast
I am winding a 60Hz transformer to charge my 280Ah cells in top balance fashion. I got 20 in parallel. I will keep power to about 10kW input to 10kVA tape wound transformer. What I need is a model of the battery array. A reasonable way for me to simulate the setup would be to model the cell array as a capacitor.

Anybody here want to take a shot at calculating the capacitance of array?

...A reasonable way for me to simulate the setup would be to model the cell array as a capacitor....
Post #8 in the Battery FAQ has an example array where batteries are represented as a voltage source and resistance in a circuit emulator, could you do something similar by adding in a capacitor to each "cell"?

Post #8 in the Battery FAQ has an example array where batteries are represented as a voltage source and resistance in a circuit emulator, could you do something similar by adding in a capacitor to each "cell"?
Yes I think in most situations a simple voltage source with internal resistance would do. I am interested in the voltage changing over time so yes adding a capacitor may make a better model. The product of capacitance and voltage is equal to the product of current and time or more correct the integral of current over time. The goal is to top balance 20 of the 280Ah cells when they show up. I suppose I will just have to wait it out.

Just use a power supply that that you can adjust voltage on. Twenty 280 Ahr cells in parallel is going to take a lot of current or a lot of time. Those are the issues I face when parallel top balancing. This biggest mistakes that seem to be made are using too high a voltage.

Back