diy solar

diy solar

Any caveats to wiring the EG4/GYLL 12 or 24 in series for 24 or 48 Vdc?

The 12V has a different BMS and uses different software to connect, but it's still 485.
There might be a way to let them talk to the growatts but I'd bet no one has done any real time trying to make it work.

From the last conversation I had with them,
Of course. The only way to really determine state of charge is to monitor battery current as well as voltage to integrate the total charge put into the battery from a known state. So, my question is still this: in a mulit-battery system connected either in series (like I proposed here) or in parallel, which is the more likely scenario with batts rated at the nominal Growatt voltage (24, 48v) ,how does a single Growatt communicate with *both* batteries and adjust charging voltage and current from the Growatts charge controller? .

Even if the serial port allows communication with multiple batteries (I think it should work with multiple devices being a serial interface), then the Growatt still has to treat both batteries as a *single* source and adjust charging for the battery bank as a whole, yes? I view a multi-battery bank connected to a single Growatt as similar to individual cells in a LFP battery. However, in a LFP battery bank with a BMS monitoring and adjusting charge on each individual cell, the Growatt doesn't charge and balance each individual battery in the bank, but charges batteries in the bank, whether in parallel, in series, or both, as a single battery.

So, how much importance does the communication feature really affect performance and battery life since the Growatt is not charging individual batteries, but the bank as a whole?
According to the friendly representative I spoke to today, the lack of this feature just means the Growatt would then need extra configuration since it's acting blind, but then again you made a good point as to the extent of what it can do since it can only treat the entire bank as a whole no matter what it "knows". I wish I could had asked better questions, but I'm fairly new at this, but if you or anyone wants to settle this riddle, they're available now and there's very little hold times.
(903)-441-2090

It works better with communication.
But, will still work without. You just have to set the parameters manually, in the Growatt inverter.

I have two 24v EG4 batteries in series in my new system (MPP solar lv6048). The 48v was on backorder and shipping was free on the 24v so I decided to wire in series. So far so good.

Any suggestions on how to program the inverter to charge these? I haven't changed it out of the default charge settings since I'm just not sure how to set it. They should be treated as a 48 volt system once in series but the EG4 manual states I should charge them at 28v. Do I simply double this? 56v? Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

Currently the default settings are:

Bulk charging voltage - 56.4v
Floating charging voltage - 54.0v
Max utility charging current - 30a
Max combined charging current - 60a
Max discharge (back to utility) - 45v
Bulk charging time: automatic (can be changed from 5min -900min)

If these settings need to be changed to protect the batteries please let me know. The company told me they could be run in a series of 2 batteries safely but I want to be sure my settings won't be damaging the batteries.

I have two 24v EG4 batteries in series in my new system (MPP solar lv6048). The 48v was on backorder and shipping was free on the 24v so I decided to wire in series. So far so good.

Any suggestions on how to program the inverter to charge these? I haven't changed it out of the default charge settings since I'm just not sure how to set it. They should be treated as a 48 volt system once in series but the EG4 manual states I should charge them at 28v. Do I simply double this? 56v? Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

Currently the default settings are:

Bulk charging voltage - 56.4v
Floating charging voltage - 54.0v
Max utility charging current - 30a
Max combined charging current - 60a
Max discharge (back to utility) - 45v
Bulk charging time: automatic (can be changed from 5min -900min)

If these settings need to be changed to protect the batteries please let me know. The company told me they could be run in a series of 2 batteries safely but I want to be sure my settings won't be damaging the batteries.
If you double everything that your battery manual says, you should be perfect. (Except for current. Leave it as stated in the manual)

Back